PDA

View Full Version : All in at the river

BigHef
06-01-2005, 05:33 AM
Ok I'm a long time lurker but this particular hand is something I've been finding happening quite a bit lately, and was looking for some feedback.

I'm playing 2/4 NL at Poker Champs and I'm in the BB with $700. Its folded to the SB with $532, who is a decent tight limit player but havent played him much in NL. He min raises to $8 as he seems to do whenever he can. I have JJ and decide to jack it to $24. He calls.

Flop is 863 rainbow. He checks and I bet $35 into a $48 pot. He calls instantly.

Turn is a 4 making all four suits on board. He checks again and I fire $70 into what is now a $118 pot. Once again he calls pretty much instantly.

The river is a 2. He pushes all in for $403 into the $258 pot. What's your play?

I usually think such a push reeks a bluff, yet with such a low board theres not really all that many hands I think I can beat, with any 5 giving him the straight. This situation has come up quite a bit lately. Looking back, I also think maybe I didn't bet enough through the hand.

So any thoughts? Who's folding and who's calling? I'll post the results later on.

irishken
06-01-2005, 05:48 AM
This is kind of a play I find players who think they are good making. And what you told about your opponent he might be just like that..
They think when you bet big on river everybody will call them because they think it looks as a stupid bluff to opponents and they will call with [censored].
I would fold here.

Hands like this come down to what your opponent thinks and what you think he thinks you think. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Caballa
06-01-2005, 06:00 AM
The only thing that makes much sense to me is villain with 55 putting you on AK preflop and on the flop, hitting the straight draw on the turn, and pushing the river upon realising by now that you've a high pocket pair which you might not be willing to fold despite the overbet.
That, or a strangely played set.

I'd fold the river barring extensive knowledge of how villain plays in these situations. I'd also bet a little more on the turn; perhaps $90 or so, but I'm thinking that that wouldn't have made much of a difference with whether villain would have called or not.

captZEEbo1
06-01-2005, 09:08 AM
do you have any idea of how loose his calling of reraises are? He could easily have 45 or 57 if he is pretty loose with calling reraises.

BigHef
06-01-2005, 09:34 AM
Ok I haven't sat with him long, he's called reraises pretty quickly before, I put him on any half decent hand really, easily the most aggressive on the table.

Any more thoughts, I'll post the result in white below:

<font color="white"> I folded, villain flashed A3, the b*stard /images/graemlins/wink.gif </font>