PDA

View Full Version : Darts

Phoenix1010
06-01-2005, 04:09 AM
So I just played my third game of darts of my lifetime, and I got rocked by a friend of mine who's been playing hardcore for a while. I found out that it's a pretty fun game. I like it, it's a great bar activity. The problem is that I lost to someone I know I can beat. This cannot pass. I'm going to devote my Summer to improving my darts game. Does anyone here play a lot? Do you have any tips, or is it just a practice makes perfect kind of thing? Any advice on form or tactics (or any other facet of the game) would be appreciated.

-Phoenix

Duke
06-01-2005, 04:26 AM
It would seem that the object would be to create a minimalist toss that is easily repeatable. Not a lot of transverse motion, keep it direct.

But then I see 501 Dart championships on TV and some guys have wildly flailing elbows, so what the hell do I know?

Just practice a bunch and you'll figure things out.

~D

daryljobe777
06-01-2005, 04:36 AM
I would equate it to doing any other repetitive technique, such as driving a golf ball or serving a tennis ball...practice practice practice.

Phoenix1010
06-01-2005, 09:23 AM
Yah I figured as much. I've seen those dart tournaments too; those guys are sickeningly good, and they seem to toss it in whatever style is comfortable to them. I guess if Peja Stojakovic can be one of the best shooters in the NBA with a weirdo shooting form, anyone can throw darts however they want and get good at it. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any accepted forms or techniques that would expediate the getting-good process.

ddollevoet
06-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Practice 15 - 20 minutes a day.

Follow throw on your throw.

Be specific when choosing your target (e.g. triple 19, double 16, etc.). Don't just throw darts!

swede123
06-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Buy your own darts, and a real dart-board. The soft-tip darts you see in bars are tremendous crap. Find a set of darts that are weighted the way you like it and start practicing.

The first responder is correct, it's much easier to be consistent if you don't flail around with your arm; rather, use your wrist to throw the dart.

Swede

asofel
06-01-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Practice 15 - 20 minutes a day.

Follow throw on your throw.

Be specific when choosing your target (e.g. triple 19, double 16, etc.). Don't just throw darts!

[/ QUOTE ]

both good pieces of advice. following through will help keep the dart on a straight path, and the more precisely you aim, the more focused your brain and muscles become, and the results will show. I usually pick out a pinpoint spot to aim for. It helped a lot in last nights game where I got in with 117 in a 301 game.

I also found much better accuracy using just three fingers (thumb, index, middle) instead of the using four as I used to do. Hold the dart at a good balance point, and err towards the back.

That being said, you'll see some people with crazy form still make some excellent throws, though it can't hurt to try and develop a good standard, technically sound form.

Also, get yourself some good darts. Play with various friends darts until you find a weight that's comfortable. Heavier will straighten out more by themselves, but the better you are (generally) the lighter you go.

Check this page out (http://www.dartbase.com/frames.php3?x=technics.htm)