PDA

View Full Version : I need a socks proxy server

Eihli
06-01-2005, 04:03 AM
I'll pay if someone can host one for me.

IHateKeithSmart
06-01-2005, 04:06 AM
Hey Eihli:

Depending on how on the up and up you need it to be, there are many to be found for 'free'. Also, if you know anyone with an SSH server, you can run a SOCKS proxy over SSH.
Free proxies (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=free+socks+proxy&btnG=Google+Search )

Eihli
06-01-2005, 04:09 AM
I've checked google and none of them are steady. What is SSH?

IHateKeithSmart
06-01-2005, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've checked google and none of them are steady. What is SSH?

[/ QUOTE ]

Secure shell - a way of remotely (securely) accessing a *nix machine (though it runs on windows). SSH (v2 I believe) has native SOCKS support (so you can use any SSH server you have access to as a SOCKS server).

Eihli
06-01-2005, 04:36 AM
Here's the thing. I havn't been able to use bittorrents for months now. My downloads never get higher than 1.5kbs and my uploads never get higher than 300bps. Firewalls and ports aren't the problem. Someone said I should try using a socks proxy. I did a google search, tried a few, about the 3rd one I tried my downloads shot up to their old speeds of 250kbs. I went to sleep, woke up and all the downloads had stopped. I tried a few more proxy servers and got it downloading at 250/s again but it only lasted a few hours. I assume the proxy servers are just unstable since the site I got them from lists their uptime as about 50-70%. There isn't some company I can pay to host a socks server, just like hosting a web server, or a ventrilo server?

IHateKeithSmart
06-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Hmm, this is bizarre. FWIW, my BT speeds have been crap lately as well. From what I know of the BT protocol, I wouldn't think this would make a difference, but who knows.

There are no hosters that I know of for SOCKS proxies, although you could set up your own from a hoster that provided shell/SSH access.