PDA

View Full Version : How do i adjust against this?

roy_miami
06-01-2005, 01:32 AM
My opponent an I log a lot of hands against each other, in the past month we've played 3700 hands together. He is a bit too loose preflop but is tricky and plays very well post flop. He has a good image and gets a ton of action. I have suspected that he has recently started 3-betting me light preflop as the frequency of the 3-bets has increased (I tend to get paranoid when I notice patterns though so i wasn't totally convinced). Most times I completely whiff and give up without a fight.

This hand came up tonight, I open raise the button with QTo, villain is in the SB and 3-bets, the loose BB calls and I call.

The flop comes 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Villain bets BB calls, I call

Turn is 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB bets, BB calls, I fold

River 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Bet call, villain shows 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

AHA!! I knew it!!

I don't want to be one of these poor saps that pays him off big time but I also don't want him thinking he can push me around just by throwing in a raise preflop. Anybody have any good ideas for adjusting?

Clarkmeister
06-01-2005, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody have any good ideas for adjusting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Start 4-betting. Also be less inclined to play hands without showdown value when you are in situations where he's more likely than normal (like steal situations) to 3-bet you light.

Pakman
06-01-2005, 05:32 AM
Play tighter with him to your left of course is good. Not only should you 4 bet the guy, but you should also take the lead on the flop. Raise him on empty if you have to, and the turn. If you take a few hands with show down value to it and play it for max value, it will slow him down.

The only way to beat aggressors is to be more aggressive then they are. Being savage even. Not to the pt. of tossing bets in with crap, but take solid hands to do it.

Pakman

Gabe
06-01-2005, 02:15 PM
4-bet.

elindauer
06-01-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only way to beat aggressors is to be more aggressive then they are. Being savage even. Not to the pt. of tossing bets in with crap, but take solid hands to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

These two sentences contradict each other. Either you are going to be savagely aggressive, or you are going to wait for solid hands. You can't have it both ways.

The problem can be found in the first sentence. The way to beat OVERLY aggressive players is with passive play. You just call more often than you normally would because when you have a hand they so often are drawing dead. Calling lets them continue to bluff their money to you when they are way behind. See any hand posted by Mason for an example of this.

Good luck.
Eric

imported_piki
06-01-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

These two sentences contradict each other. Either you are going to be savagely aggressive, or you are going to wait for solid hands. You can't have it both ways.

[/ QUOTE ]
How about being savagely aggressive with solid hands? /images/graemlins/smile.gif
I agree though that mimicking a calling station does well against too aggressive opponent. Raise him after he's bluffed his money away, if your hand is really solid.
Being savagely aggressive makes sense only if you really want to push him off his hand, ergo, if you hold nothing and suspect he is, too.

-pix

bernie
06-01-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody have any good ideas for adjusting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Start 4-betting. Also be less inclined to play hands without showdown value when you are in situations where he's more likely than normal (like steal situations) to 3-bet you light.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's my thought.

Last night I had a guy 3 bet an UTG raise by me preflop with K9s. Mental note: cap liberally against him with anything I raise preflop with. Ram it down their throat and make 'em choke on it.

b

roy_miami
06-01-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also be less inclined to play hands without showdown value when you are in situations where he's more likely than normal (like steal situations) to 3-bet you light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. I normally don't steal with small PP's, I guess I should start doing it more against him and cutting down on the big off-suit cards. What is the minimum you would consider a showdownable hand? King high? I suspect I wouldn't have to show down K high too often before he starts backing off.

I went to war with him today with A8, called him down on a 4 flush board. He had A4 and my hand was good.