PDA

View Full Version : AKs in SB (10/15) faces big raise

Big Limpin'
06-01-2005, 12:18 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t800)
Hero (t800)
BB (t800)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t800)
CO (t800)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>.

Final Pot: t175

I'm not sure why i folded. I thought for like 10 seconds. Im @ t790. I've obviously has this exact same situtation many times before, im sure i played them all. Dunno why this was different. Maybe cause i havent had a drink yet.

I wouldnt call this. Its to be pushed. Was my fold in any way excusable? Justified?

Discuss/flame.

curtains
06-01-2005, 12:22 AM
I fold here.

jgunnip
06-01-2005, 12:25 AM
I just sorta did the same thing. There was an all-in by a short stack that had just lost most of his stack (he had ~275) and then a min-raise from the next person. I have AKs in CO with my starting stack. I thought meh, that's QQ-AA min-raising there so I folded. ack pushers T7s lost to AKo /images/graemlins/mad.gif stupid me, stupid stupid me.

BradleyT
06-01-2005, 12:26 AM
If you push you have to watch the hand unfold out of position.

lastchance
06-01-2005, 12:27 AM
Hero takes t165, or gets to see KQ and AJ. POOSH.

Big Limpin'
06-01-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you push you have to watch the hand unfold out of position.

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NYCNative
06-01-2005, 08:31 AM
Push. 50% chance you win and coast to the money thanks to the early double. 50% chance you start another tourney.

Actually, you might not even be in a coin flip. He could have AQ... Wouldn't surprise me based on the buy-in...

Freudian
06-01-2005, 08:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Push. 50% chance you win and coast to the money thanks to the early double. 50% chance you start another tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you realize that you don't even beat the rake when you take 50/50 hands in level 1.

NYCNative
06-01-2005, 08:38 AM
Actually I call it at the levels I play because of the times it's NOT a coin flip. If it's no WORSE than a flip and you're a huge favorite even 15% of the time, it's acceptable.

swarm
06-01-2005, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually I call it at the levels I play because of the times it's NOT a coin flip. If it's no WORSE than a flip and you're a huge favorite even 15% of the time, it's acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your overplaying AK, I don't know what levels you are playing but getting all in with AK when you are a dog to any pocket pair and dominated by KK and AA is a losing proposition over the long haul, especially at higher levels.

I make a killing off of the AK pushers... Why get involved in a coin flip when you are most likely at best a small dog?

There are so many more double up opportunities to be had when you are still in level 1. The main goal should to at the minimum get to 4-5 handed bubble play with a healthy enough stack to blind steal. Having a big stack isn't necessary. Get to the bubble enough and all the % work out with an aggressive blind stealing strategy to be a very profitable player.

Being a big stack is great but Good players shouldn't need to get into coin flips situations in the early levels. Great players get doubled up when they have a huge advantage early on.

lutefisk
06-01-2005, 09:19 AM
Maybe I'm a complete fool here, but I do advocate the call. If I was first to act, I'd probably make it something between 80-100 to go, and would even call a minraise. If you hit, you're almost certainly the best, and may well double up. If you miss, you can fold it, and still have a very playable stack. There's nothing wrong with getting a bunch of money in the middle with a hand that good imho. I'm just against getting all of it in here, or getting too much in against too many people (if there was another caller before you, I'd dump it. I'm also against just letting it go here. This is one of the hands that you wait for. I'd play it. There's my 2c. If anybody's got some constructive arguments for why this is foolish, I'd love to hear it.

"Only after the 10th punch will you see the fist, and only after the 20th will you block it." --Proverb from the game of Go

Big Limpin'
06-01-2005, 09:42 AM
ay-yi-yi. this took a turn for the worse. Some may have noticed that i do not post HHs very often. I have chosen this hand because it seemed to be as close to perfect as you can get to ask the general question:

When its very early, stacks equal/unchanged, the pot is not laying you any odds...are you interested in taking up Mr. MP1's offer to stack off in what is likely a race, possibly dominated, possibly dominating.

The responses have been fine, i dont want to seem ungrateful, its just what i was asking is do YOU want to play a hand you dont have to, but may want to. I doubt stacking off is significantly +EV, although its certainly not -EV. Being suited, races are close enough to 50/50 to think of them as such, and you will dominate an AQ-type somwhat more often than run into AA/KK.

What i do want to say is about anyone advocating calling no, no, no, no. If this hand gets played, it gets pushed back. 100% of the time.

swarm
06-01-2005, 09:50 AM
Personally I feel a call is the worst of the 3... Once the villan has made it 10x the BB you have two options push or fold and I lean twoard folding... read dependent obviously.

You have a 800 chip stack... 150 is almost 20% of your stack. By calling you are laying out 20% of your stack in a situation where you only hit a flop 30% of the time. Even if you hit your flop there is times that villan will still have a better hand AA or KK if a K hits or has hit trips with a lower pocket pair. You will lose your whole stack in these scenarios. Where as if you are ahead it's very unlikely you will get paid off when your A or K hits.

By pushing AK you get your full 5 cards to hit your hand plus you have the possibility of pushing villan off his hand and taking the pot without a showdown (unlikely In this scenario)

adanthar
06-01-2005, 10:26 AM
All of the analysis in this thread is good as long as you know that it would change drastically if there were even one prior caller.

TheMainEvent
06-01-2005, 10:47 AM
From what I can tell everyone is assuming that fold equity is 0 here. Why? I would expect a push to get called, but there's no way its 100%.