PDA

View Full Version : difficult hand, difficult blind level

dfscott
06-01-2005, 12:05 AM
The only thing trickier than a high-middle pocket pair is a middle pocket pair at the 25/50 blind level.

CO seemed very tight but not particularly aggressive for a 33.

Thoughts on this line?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t2770)
Hero (t900)
CO (t710)
Button (t2095)
SB (t960)
BB (t565)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, CO calls t150, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (t375) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t175</font>, CO calls t175.

Turn: (t725) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (t725) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks...

BradleyT
06-01-2005, 12:29 AM
I think it's safe to say any draw he might have been on just came in.

bluefeet
06-01-2005, 12:32 AM
i can see why they are avoiding this one /images/graemlins/wink.gif

personally, i'm not raising with these yet. actually, i'm limping right up until the blinds/stacks dictate i push. that said, i certainly don't think it's unreasonable opening the pot 3x.

the one problem with the PFr is that you are compelled to continue on the flop - and rightfully so.

[boy this tough]

the call on flop is interesting. he only has T385 after the call.

why wouldn't he push here if he had the K? if he called the preflop riase with a K, it would stand to reason that he had a good kicker as well.

and why wouldn't he fold if he 'just' had the T?

would he call a fourth of his stack PF on QJs? doubtful if he's 'tight'

about the only hand that might see a flop, without reraising PF would be something like A8-Ts maybe.

if you can rule out the QJ, i would put him on the nut flush draw.

i can see where it'd be tempting to rip the turn maybe, assuming he wouldn't call the flop with 'just' a busted ace. i wouldn't be suprised if he made his hand here. the river might have just nutted him. i suspect he was setting you up to bet the river (or maybe just wasn't sure his A was high enough to rip it on the turn).

i don't see any other choice but to check/fold after the flop.

i just can't believe he'd call the flop without at least a piece &amp;/or the flush draw (probably both).

MastiffPaul
06-01-2005, 12:47 AM
I rarely post on these because I figure the regulars don't care about the advice from someone like me. So consider this a newbie mulling over his own tactics.

I'm not aware of any technical difference between the 25/50 level and other levels, other than it seems to be the level at which most people draw an imaginary line which determines when they will change their strategies. Tight before, push or fold after, for instance. (This example is elementary.) The major difference, and the obvious difference, is that it's the level that begins to put pressure on your stack. But only begins to do so.

If your read on CO had been "he is tight but not aggressive," it is good your checked the turn. His call means he has something, and the turn card theatens your underpair. It's your flop bet that worries me. Betting into two overcards is risky, especially when a tight player has called your raise. Perhaps he has put you on a steal, but perhaps not; perhaps he has a hand. Most likely he does, either way. (I'm terrible at heads-up play, pre-bubble.)

TruFloridaGator
06-01-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm probably still limping here too especially in such EP.

SlackerMcFly
06-01-2005, 01:01 AM
Villain bets t350
Hero calls t350

Final pot t1425

Hero wins t712 (a pair of 9's 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif)
Villain wins t713 (a pair of 9's 9/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif)

He pwned you for 1 chip.

Great hand post! Slacker

wuwei
06-01-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I rarely post on these because I figure the regulars don't care about the advice from someone like me. So consider this a newbie mulling over his own tactics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Posting is part of the process of improving. Mulling things over in public will help you progress faster. New voices are nice to hear.

[ QUOTE ]
The major difference, and the obvious difference, is that it's the level that begins to put pressure on your stack. But only begins to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the technical difference to which DF is referring, and his hand is a good example of the problems you will run into. In a typical 33 or under Party SNG, our stack is in the 650-900 range in level 3. Our lack of flexibility postflop starts to come into play for the first time here.

[ QUOTE ]
Betting into two overcards is risky, especially when a tight player has called your raise. Perhaps he has put you on a steal, but perhaps not; perhaps he has a hand. Most likely he does, either way. (I'm terrible at heads-up play, pre-bubble.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I typically bet here, especially against someone who I read as tight. That board will be scary for him as well, unless he catches a piece. I think he folds often enough to make it profitable.

Once he calls, I'm done with the hand unimproved.