PDA

View Full Version : $15-$30 hand from the Taj.....

Mike Gallo
06-01-2005, 12:03 AM
I had an interesting hand Saturday afternoon at the Taj Mahal at a $15-$30 table.

I have never played in the $15 game and this hand happened against an AC local. I have seen him play before, however he did not know me. I consider him a solid thinking opponent. I will refer to him as Steve. I do not know his name, however he looks like a Steve to me.

I think Steve viewed me as a tight player trying to play well. I play very tight in the beginning of the session. I went almost two entire dealer's downs once without seeing a flop other then from the blinds. I still tipped the dealers at the end of their shift. Not their fault I didn't get cards.

I viewed him as someone who would try to muscle me and put me to the test. I saw him attempt to out muscle other players at the table, why would he treat me any differently?

I open raised from +1 UTG with 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/club.gif two pretty bad players called and Steve reraised from the button. The blinds folded and I called. The first bad player called, the other bad player folded. Three of us saw the flop. The pot had $160.

Flop

693 rainbow

I bet the bad player called and Steve raised.

What action should I take? Should I raise, should I fold or should I call?

If I raise, and he reraises do I call the reraise and check call it down?

If I call should I check raise the turn if no paint hits the turn. If I give the free card, and both players take it I think I can safely bet the river if a scary card does not hit the board. The player to act after me would have called if I reraised and he would have called if Steve capped after I reraised. Once this player paid for one bet, he would pay them all. Suprisingly this player would fold the turn or river.

Would anyone have check raised this flop instead of leading out. I posted this hand because I wonder if I should have check raised the flop.

tighterr
06-01-2005, 12:13 AM
Yes a check raise on the flop makes it two bets to the middle position caller, who will probably not call unless he has a real hand. The CR also shows your strength to steve and he may slow down if he does not have an overpair. Basically the check raise helps elimate draws and see where your at with steve.

Jeffage
06-01-2005, 12:19 AM
Since you know Steve will bet the flop, it seems like an easy flop checkraise to me (since you have someone in the middle). If he reraises, I would call and bet a rag turn. If he raises the turn, you have to make a call. Against most opponents at the red games, you will have to pay off onthis type of board or you'll get run over. If he would never raise again in that spot w/o an overpair, however, you can dump. The other option if you checkraise the flop and he reraises is to check the turn against an aggro opponent who is unlikely to check behind w/ overcards here. It saves you from getting raised and you can then bet the end if it's still favorable for you. He won't raise when all the cards are out with a hand you beat. If you checkraise the flop and he calls, bet any turn card. If it was ragged, pay off. If it was paint or an ace, fold to a raise.

As played, reraise the flop to get the middle player out. The pots too big to try to save bets here. If middle player calls and Steve 4-bets, evaluate whether Steve would ever push overs this hard on flop for a turn freebie. If the answer is no, you can fold bc you lose hooks, ladies, cowboys and bullets. But if he is somewhat aggro, AK/AQ is possible here b/c with aces you would think he'd pot the tunr rather than 4 bet the flop. Ok, that was rambling. I sleep now.

Jeff

Mike Gallo
06-01-2005, 12:26 AM
After I reviewed the notes from the hand, I realized I had an easy check raise.

Basically the check raise helps elimate draws and see where your at with steve.

Flop capping meant little in this game. The turn truly defined a players hand.

Mike Gallo
06-01-2005, 12:31 AM
Since you know Steve will bet the flop, it seems like an easy flop checkraise to me (since you have someone in the middle). If he reraises, I would call and bet a rag turn

The flop action in this game meant absolutely nothing to define a players hand. The turn action usually portrayed a players hand more clearly.

If middle player calls and Steve 4-bets, evaluate whether Steve would ever push overs this hard on flop for a turn freebie.

Yes, and he would also make continuation bets on the turn as well.

Ok, that was rambling. I sleep now.

Whats that /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

sfer
06-01-2005, 12:41 AM
Mike, I'm joining the flop-checkraise bandwagon. Makes the hand cleaner to play. It doesn't sound like you can fold to the button unless the board gets really scary, but aggressively forcing out the 3rd guy on the big streets exposes you to getting 3-bet, which is clearly not the best spot for you.

Given your read of the 3rd guy I think you call and lead a safe turn.

Mike Gallo
06-01-2005, 01:17 AM
Yea, I should have check raised the turn.

Clarkmeister
06-01-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I had an interesting hand Saturday afternoon at the Taj Mahal at a $15-$30 table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you make a big drug sale last week? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Mike Gallo
06-01-2005, 01:22 AM
ok...I called with the intentions of check raising the turn if an over card did not hit.

Turn paired the 3 making the board 3 6 9 3

I checked the bad player checked, Steve bet, I raised the bad player folded and Steve also folded. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Mike Gallo
06-01-2005, 01:25 AM
Did you make a big drug sale last week?

No, I used my wedding money, don't tell my wife /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Clarkmeister
06-01-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew something was up.

Mike Gallo
06-01-2005, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew something was up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, in all honesty I have been running pretty well lately and decided to test the real mid limit waters.

Playing a $10-$20 game with a half kill to $15-$30 helped me get adjusted to playing with that much money, for me anyway.

spoohunter
06-01-2005, 02:54 AM
You have to check raise the fop. Not because Steve is aggressive and will bet the flop, it's three handed and he three bet preflop, anyone with any ounce of a gression in there body will bet a checked to them flop. You have to check raise because THE POT IS BIG, and you MUST charge a gutshot or a pair (5 outs) 2 bts to continue. You cannot make it profitable for the loose players random hand to call a bet.

AviD
06-01-2005, 08:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you make a big drug sale last week? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

nh /images/graemlins/grin.gif

poor Mikey

SA125
06-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Given you expect he might push you around, I'd cap it pf hoping to get some folds and represent a big hand. You'd cap with AA,KK,QQ and maybe AK, so why just call and let the cat out of the bag?

I'd lead any flop and keep betting until raised. I'd call a raise and see how scary it looked before continuing. If the board stayed raggy he'd have to show me a hand.

I'm not mucking for an hour and then folding an overpair to macho man.