PDA

View Full Version : I Need Router Help (cross post)

Reef
05-31-2005, 11:13 PM
So I just got cable internet installed in my house. The internet works when I plug the cable from the modem to my laptop. But the wireless internet NOT work when I plug the cable from the modem to the router (while I have the wireless card in my laptop). I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software with no luck. The light on my wireless card is green and I am picking up a signal - I have a successful wireless network connection.

I just can't get my wireless to work though. Help APPRECIATED!

BusterStacks
05-31-2005, 11:21 PM
does the wireless work for local network things?

contentless
05-31-2005, 11:23 PM
My first suggestion is to power cycle the cable modem. Unplug it for a minute, plug it back in, then try.

fluxrad
05-31-2005, 11:25 PM
Make sure you can ping your router (should have a default address of something like 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1).

If you can do that, check the router's management console and make sure that everything's set up correctly.

Next, check your DNS and default gateway. One of these may also be the problem.

Reef
05-31-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
does the wireless work for local network things?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had this exact router working with my exact same laptop with the exact same internet provider all working last summer..

although not 100% clear on your question, I'm gonna go with a yes (?)

contentless
05-31-2005, 11:29 PM
Try this: Right click your wireless connection, and click status. Switch over to the 'Support' tab. If it's says 'Assigned by DHCP' you should be good with the router, and then you should go ahead and power cycle the cable.

Reef
05-31-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Make sure you can ping your router (should have a default address of something like 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1).

If you can do that, check the router's management console and make sure that everything's set up correctly.

Next, check your DNS and default gateway. One of these may also be the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used a blank page to go to 192.etc, and it says I have a dynamic IP.. but there is no info under "subnet mask", "wan ip", "default gateway", or "DNS address"

Reef
05-31-2005, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Try this: Right click your wireless connection, and click status. Switch over to the 'Support' tab. If it's says 'Assigned by DHCP' you should be good with the router, and then you should go ahead and power cycle the cable.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, I'll try cycling the modem

Reef
05-31-2005, 11:37 PM
power cycled both the modem and router.

Thanks for the help OOT!