PDA

View Full Version : The Two Towers and the Oscars

IrishHand
12-21-2002, 04:25 PM
The Fellowship obviously got a ton of Oscar attention. What do you folks think about the likelihood of the 2nd getting similar treatment?

I think it probably won't get the same number of nominations simply because it wasn't as original as the first one. What I mean is that it was a pretty amazing movie, while Towers is the continuation of an amazing movie, if that makes sense.

Thoughts?

baggins
12-23-2002, 04:43 AM
i personally don't give 2 5hit5 whether or not The Academy recognizes the brilliance of Peter Jackson, New Line Cinema, WETA Workshops, or the scores of other people involved in making this series. im sure it would be nice, but at the same time, the Oscar doesn't really mean much, now does it?

that aside, i think i agree. it probably won't receive that much attention because it is a sequel that is just a continuation, and not really doing much NEW that FOTR didn't already do.

there should be a category for 'Best CGI Character'. Gollum would decimate his competition.

IrishHand
12-23-2002, 09:00 AM
Yeah...normally, CGI characters bother me since they're so clearly fake (JarJar is the standard for this, but even the cave troll in the Fellowship qualifies, and to a certain extent, the Ents in Towers). However, Gollum was phenomenal. When you can have close-ups to the extent that they did and still maintain an extremely high level of realism and humanity (if that's the right word), you've really accomplished something.