PDA

View Full Version : Does Anybody Play from a cel phone on pokerroom?

TheBeat
05-31-2005, 10:18 PM
I bought a new phone just for this but i cant get it going. Any info would really help me out thank you

smartalecc5
05-31-2005, 10:23 PM
you know you are addicted when.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

reubenf
05-31-2005, 10:29 PM
I'd like to know that, too. I've been considering buying a new phone for this myself. Wouldn't want to waste my precious time on the bus ride to and from school looking out the window at the beautiful scenery.

Maulik
05-31-2005, 10:33 PM
give us more details, I would totally buy a cell phone where I could play some poker on it sweet

JackOfSpeed
05-31-2005, 11:07 PM
Someone's underage!!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wyers
05-31-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to know that, too. I've been considering buying a new phone for this myself. Wouldn't want to waste my precious time on the bus ride to and from school looking out the window at the beautiful scenery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't the network charges from your mobile service provider make this extremely -EV?

mother_brain
05-31-2005, 11:36 PM
I'm another one that is curious about this. Anybody have any details? I would go check the local phone shop, but i've been too busy playing poker /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wyers
05-31-2005, 11:44 PM
I know you can purchase blocks of network time through your provider at a discounted rate. The rates without purchasing a package are pricey. My mobile service provider charges 5 cents per kilobyte of use (this is without the discount package).

I don't connect to the network often enough to make the "block" purchase worthwhile. However I imagine playing poker on your mobile phone without some sort of discount on the network time could get VERY expensive.

Tapin
06-01-2005, 12:09 AM
I decided to try Cingular's service and the Motorola Razr v3, about two weeks ago.

Long story short: It didn't work, and I returned the phone before the 30 day free trial was up.

Longer version: The phone had a pretty display and nice Ti case, but that's about all it had going for it. The hinge started "squeaking" after a few days, the display and keypad got grungy pretty quickly from normal use, and the LCD on the outside made it impossible to just glance at the time. The buttons on the outside of the phone felt flimsy, and if one of them was held down it turned on the camera -- and you couldn't turn that feature off, so it was unlucky for you if it sat in your pocket wrong.

After a few fits and starts, I installed the PokerRoom client on the phone. I tried playing the offline version, and it worked pretty well and the interface was okay. When I went to go online, it would ask for my PIN and (no matter what I entered, whether I typed the PIN correctly or not) then go to a black "Trying to connect..." screen. And sit there forever.

I contacted PokerRoom support about it, and they responded along the lines of "We've had this complaint from a number of other people with that phone and provider, and are looking into the problem." No offered resolution.

So, the phone's been returned, and I'm back to my Sprint service with an old Samsung phone.

TheBeat
06-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the reply I bought the motorola razor myself and i cant get on the pokerroom site to play, contacted pokerroom many times and they dont know much, I guess i will return the phone also, I guess I will have to buy a labtop for work and connect my cel phone to it, do any of you guys connect your cel phone to a labtop? thanks in advance

bvaughn
06-01-2005, 09:00 AM
I've pretty much given up on playing on my cell phone - at least on Pokerroom. I switched cell phone providers recently and actively tried to get a phone that was on their "list", but the store I bought from did not have any. So I bought a Nokia N-Gage QD, which is designed to play games so I thought it would work just fine - problem is, Pokerroom has a block on the download site that will not allow you to download the client via WAP/SMS if your phone is not on the "approved list".

Their technical help has been pretty much useless. They directed me to the Mobile Poker Trainer, which had the same block on the WAP download. Well, there is an option for the TRAINER to have the .jar and .jad files emailed to you, so I did this and just used my bluetooth connection to get the files on my phone, and of course, the TRAINER works perfectly.

But, I've been trying for 3 freaking weeks now to get Pokerroom support to email me the files I need to run the REAL Mobile Poker client, but my emails continue to go unanswered. If they would just email me the files, technically I should be able to bluetooth the files to my phone and hopefully I should be ready to go.

As far as the data transfer rates - I just added the unlimited internet option to my rate plan which was only a few bucks a month. Hopefully that is all I need if I ever actually get it working.

I thought I read recently that another site network, maybe crypto or prima I don't remember, were changing software providers for their main rooms, but included in the software changes was going to be an option for cell-phone poker. Does anyone remember who that was?

The once and future king
06-01-2005, 09:04 AM
Does your route take you through any tunnels or deep valleys?

reubenf
06-01-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't the network charges from your mobile service provider make this extremely -EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I can cover the $5/month.

Wyers
06-01-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, I can cover the $5/month.

[/ QUOTE ]

$5.00? Is that all?

Interesting. I was under the impression it would be more costly.

Jayhawk
06-01-2005, 11:13 PM
I also bought the Razr v3, and had the exact same problem. I sent them 5 e-mails and they were not very helpful. I returned the phone, but was thinking about getting one of the Nokias.

Also, Cingular has unlimited internet access for $19/month

IdMan
06-02-2005, 01:38 AM
Same problem with my new Razr V3. Anybody on Cingular actually have a phone model that works. I'd like to know since I still have three weeks to exchange mine.

Tapin
06-02-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I returned the phone, but was thinking about getting one of the Nokias.

[/ QUOTE ]
I carried a friend's 6620 around for a few hours since he had warned me about the phone. Try to do the same, or find a place that'll allow you to return it, so you can check it out for a while -- that phone is gargantuan. Especially compared to the Razr v3. After two small phones in a row, I don't think I'm going to be able to carry something that big around any more.

Oh, and the OS is pretty craptastic too, but that could be a matter of personal preference.

gomberg
06-03-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
I returned the phone, but was thinking about getting one of the Nokias.

I carried a friend's 6620 around for a few hours since he had warned me about the phone. Try to do the same, or find a place that'll allow you to return it, so you can check it out for a while -- that phone is gargantuan. Especially compared to the Razr v3. After two small phones in a row, I don't think I'm going to be able to carry something that big around any more.

Oh, and the OS is pretty craptastic too, but that could be a matter of personal preference.

[/ QUOTE ]

so did it work for proom?

Tapin
06-03-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so did it work for proom?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, didn't try. I didn't want to clutter his SMS inbox and download software on to the phone he was letting me "evaluate" while we were both at work one day.

Tapin
06-08-2005, 09:17 AM
An amusing coda -- just this morning (several weeks after my last email, and at least two weeks since I returned the phone), PokerRoom support wrote back to me and said:

[ QUOTE ]
Hi [Tapin],

I am getting back to you on the issue of using your Motorola RAZR V3. I've talked directly with the head developer of the Mobile Poker game who assures me that there is no problem with this type of telephone using our software in the on-line mode.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, good. That must mean that the several people in this thread must have just been imagining it. I feel much better now /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jayhawk
06-08-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
An amusing coda -- just this morning (several weeks after my last email, and at least two weeks since I returned the phone), PokerRoom support wrote back to me and said:

[ QUOTE ]
Hi [Tapin],

I am getting back to you on the issue of using your Motorola RAZR V3. I've talked directly with the head developer of the Mobile Poker game who assures me that there is no problem with this type of telephone using our software in the on-line mode.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, good. That must mean that the several people in this thread must have just been imagining it. I feel much better now /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They probably copied me on the exact same e-mail. Thank god I returned it already (within the grace period)