PDA

View Full Version : Is a Herman Miller Aeron Office Chair worth $800 Plus?

Rick Nebiolo
12-21-2002, 03:08 PM
I’m generally not the type for extravagances. I don’t understand why people max out their credit cards to buy a lot of the stuff they buy. OTOH, some things that cost a fortune relatively to a standard purchase may be worth it. For example, if I had enough money and I could try it out for a night, I’d go for one of those real expensive beds (e.g., Dux Bed - costs about 5K) if it really were as good as the hype. After all, you spend several hours a night in bed, and if it is that much better for sleep, your back and “you know what”, I’d go for one.

Anyway, I sit in front of this computer screen a lot and I’m not comfortable in the office chair I now use. I’ve searched the web and have discovered the Herman Miller Aeron Office Chair, which sells for about $800. There is one showroom about a half hour away where I can try and buy it. It is supposed to be highly adjustable, extremely ergonomic, very comfortable, and built to last forever, blah, blah, blah. It won some sort of “design of the decade” and you can read about it on several web sites.

My question: Is there anyone out there in 2+2 land that actually has one or uses one in the office, and do you think they are as good as the hype? I’d also be interested in opinions on competing chairs at a similar price range.

Regards,

Rick

BruceZ
12-21-2002, 05:28 PM
I've seen those chairs and sat in one briefly to try it out. Personally I prefer the upholstered chairs from Herman Miller, and you can get those for a few hundred less. They make the best office chairs I've tried, and the only ones I would buy after shopping around alot. I sat in a Herman Miller chair for years, and I highly recommend them. The Aeron models remind me of lawn furniture, though I understand they are supposed to be very supportive and comfortable, and one user I know has confirmed this.

I think a quality office chair is a good investment since it will allow you to spend more time working and making money. There are definitely differences in fatigue levels you will experience between quality chairs and cheap chairs.

pudley4
12-21-2002, 10:07 PM
I think you can get them for less than $700 now.

Our entire building has had them for almost 3 years now. They are outstanding! I have a very comfortable leather office chair at home, but after sitting in it for any length of time my whole backside gets too hot and sweaty. Never happens at work.

Ray Zee
12-22-2002, 03:53 AM
if you need an expensive and special chair because you are spending so much time in your chair maybe you are spending too much time in your chair.

Rick Nebiolo
12-22-2002, 04:50 AM
ray,

my "office" is the favorite part of my place. great tunes (my entire record collection has been transfered to MP3), a beautiful, fun to be with, smart woman "Hero" at my side who loves poker, 2+2, and playing online, nice L shaped desk with everything within reach (including an autographed copy of the ray zee book), older computer but good in the ways that count (great speakers, lots of disk storage, great keyboard. good screen).

Right now I'm enjoying Hero's company, some nice wine, a good cigar, and we are playing two Paradise Poker stud/8 games at once (PP 2/4 games play tougher than 20/40 in LA). But my chair sucks and my younger brother has major back problems and I'm starting to have minor aches and pains. So a good chair would save me money if it really is good as they say.

Meanwhile, I get my share of exercise by folding bananas.

Regards,

Rick

PS notice how i reverted to capital letters. Old habits die hard.

Rick Nebiolo
12-22-2002, 05:03 AM
ray,

my "office" is the favorite part of my place. great tunes (my entire record collection has been transfered to MP3), a beautiful, smart woman "Hero" at my side who loves poker, 2+2, and playing online, nice L shaped desk with everything within reach (including an autographed copy of the ray zee book), older computer but good in the ways that count (great speakers, lots of disk storage, great keyboard. good screen).

Right now I'm enjoying Hero's company, some nice wine, a good cigar, and we are playing two Paradise Poker stud/8 games at once (PP 2/4 games play tougher than 20/40 in LA). But my chair sucks and my younger brother has major back problems and I'm starting to have minor aches and pains. So a good chair would save me money if it really is good as they say.

Meanwhile, I get my share of exercise by folding bananas.

Regards,

Rick

PS notice how i reverted to capital letters. Old habits die hard.

andyfox
12-23-2002, 12:31 AM
Yes and no.

I actually spent double the figure Rick mentions for a chair at Relax The Back. It's got a thousand and one adjusting devices. I had back surgery earlier this year and my back and legs still are killing me.

I am indeed supposed to limit the time I spend sitting, but for those times I do sit, the chair is great.

Rick Nebiolo
12-23-2002, 02:09 AM
Andy,

Do you mean that you spent double for an Aeron chair or some other chair? I think "Relax the Back" is a shopping mall store, so it wouldn't surprise me in you paid double for the Aeron /forums/images/icons/grin.gif.

Hope you have a healthy and happy holiday and new year.

Regards,

Rick