PDA

View Full Version : Trying to plug some leaks... Well played AA?

MrBruno
05-31-2005, 09:06 PM
No reads yet, been at the table for a total of 10 hands...

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $0.5. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 (poster) calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

<font color="blue">Think I should have folded when it was 2 back to me...</font>

River: (16.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 19.25 BB

the_rookie
05-31-2005, 10:07 PM
Can't fold on the turn. You have outs to beat a measley two pair. I'm assuming you are afraid of a set, in that case, yeah you're in a world of hurt. But you can't play scared. I think you played this hand fine.

Bodhi
05-31-2005, 10:07 PM
No, don't fold. It is rarely correct to fold AA. I remember folding it once on the river when it was 2 bets cold to me, and I folded the winner. Don't do it.

Also, you can't have a significant leak with AA because it is very difficult to misplay it. And even if you do hold on to it for longer than you should, you are dealt AA so rarely that the mistakes you make with it are not statistically significant.

If you want to work on leaks, focus on middle pairs, medium pockets, top pairs with weak kickers,... in other words hands you are dealt frequently and with which you can make many more mistakes.

vulturesrow
05-31-2005, 10:14 PM
To add on to what Bodhi said, Ed Miller once said in this forum that never folding Aces was very close to optimal strategy in low limit games. And I know Bodhi said it, but it bears repeating: misplaying Aces is not a leak in your game you should be worrying out!

the_rookie
05-31-2005, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, don't fold. It is rarely correct to fold AA. I remember folding it once on the river when it was 2 bets cold to me, and I folded the winner. Don't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be mean, but that advice is way too general.

I think it's generally more correct to fold AA on the river for two bets cold then to call it. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif This hand plays different because the option to CC2C was on the turn.

TripleH68
05-31-2005, 10:15 PM
Only reasonable hands UTG+1 is ahead with are KK,99,88.

The 3-bet from MP2 could be two pair and if it is you reasonably have at least 7 outs. MP2 wouldn't be that out of line to try this play with a flush draw/inside str8 draw, but you never know...

I likely would have played it the same.

Bodhi
05-31-2005, 10:50 PM
Yes, this advice is general, but it is to prevent the harm that can happen when a player gets it in his head that he should be making big laydowns with AA. It's much, much better to be too loose with AA because the mistakes cost next to nothing compared to folding in large pots.

But even more importantly, you miss the point that calling down too often with AA is not a big leak! It's tiny! You get the opportunity to do it so rarely that it's not worth fussing over.

TripleH68
05-31-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
calling down too often with AA is not a big leak! It's tiny! You get the opportunity to do it so rarely that it's not worth fussing over.

[/ QUOTE ]