PDA

View Full Version : Defending BI against likely steal.. U think you're better than me?

BeerMoney
05-31-2005, 08:07 PM
Villain in this hand seemed to raise with a lot of face cards, and this seemed like a very likely steal.. What do you think of my line here? Roland asked me to post a hand, so I thought this could get some discussion going.

7 Card Stud High ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (hand converter (http://www.geocities.com/greenage22/7StudConverter.hta.txt))

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___completes
Hero: 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif___brings-in___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds

4th Street - (2.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___bets
Hero: 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls

5th Street - (2.35 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif___bets___calls
Hero: 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif___raises

6th Street - (6.35 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif___checks
Hero: 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif___checks

River - (6.35 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif xx___checks
Hero: 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif___checks

Total pot: (6.35 BB)

djr
05-31-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of my line here?

[/ QUOTE ]
balsy comes to mind.

Given you think he's going for a blind steal, why not reraise on 4th or 3rd when it's a little cheaper? Personally I'd have folded 5th, even if he doesn't have you beat he doesn't have to hit much to beat a pair of 3s by the river. That your raise shut him down makes me think you might have won the hand.

bigredlemon
05-31-2005, 08:15 PM
even if he is stealing, I can't see you beating anything on fourth. That's when I'll jump ship and pick a better spot.

lstream
05-31-2005, 08:27 PM
Too bad your threes did not improve - try to do better next time.

I think the timing of the raise is suspect - what is there for villain to fear with you catching the two of clubs? Are you trying to convince him you have pocket two's? If so, it is a bit of a tough sell with villain catching one on fourth. Your board shows nothing else even remotely scary, so the probability of forcing a fold seems low.

If you had re-raised him on third, you may have induced a fold right away if this really is a steal. Without that, your raise on fifth feels a tad lame to be taken seriously.

mscags
05-31-2005, 08:29 PM
I think if you want to defend I would reraise right away on third instead of waiting until fifth

Roland
05-31-2005, 08:31 PM
I fold on 3rd (but I play like a vagina).

sds4255
05-31-2005, 08:37 PM
it seems like I am in this positon a lot also, I can sense the steal but am afrraid to get drawn out on.....with a pair of threes is it almost a coin flip?

BeerMoney
05-31-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

balsy comes to mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

TY, TY. Roland's gonna be pissed you said that.

I'll give my thoughts on 3rd, fourth, and 5th..

3rd: My hand isn't completely live, but I'm fairly sure I'm ahead here. I didn't want to reraise because I don't think this player is capable of folding at this point. (Most players aren't.)

4th: Pretty much the same as fourth.. Gonna go ahead and pop it as long as he doesn't pair or sumpin' else.

5th : I pop it, he calls /images/graemlins/confused.gif I figured by popping it here, even if he does have aces, he could be afraid of smaller 2 pair, and give me a free card on 6th

6th and 7th: I'm behind, and he's not folding, take the free card and free showdown.

beta1607
05-31-2005, 10:43 PM
I think a lot of players will fold to the limp reraise on 3rd unless they have the goods. I raise third and bet/raise 4th and if he is still around after that I am done with the hand unless I catch good. Your resteal gives villan less chances to catch good this way and looks like you have a burried big pair.

jon_1van
06-01-2005, 12:45 PM
If you are gonna go crazy bet 6th

jon_1van
06-01-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you had re-raised him on third, you may have induced a fold right away if this really is a steal. Without that, your raise on fifth feels a tad lame to be taken seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why when you short circuit like this you have to keep pouring chips in. Then if you win you can show and make lots of money when you actually have the goods.

Using this strategy also help you remember not to short circuit...because it sucks really really bad when it doesn't work

Michael Emery
06-01-2005, 02:33 PM
This is the identical situation of the 20-40 hand I posted a few days back where I was up against a steal and made a ballsy raise on fifth. Even though some didnt agree with it (like many dont here) I love your line beer. I play it the same way you did. I dont see why everyone thinks this isnt a fine way to play this. Man, we have too many tight-asses on here. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike Emery

somapopper
06-01-2005, 06:29 PM
trouble with this defense is that he's probably got 3 over cards to you. How bout wait until you have a pair of 8s or 9s to make that stand... they're certainly not great against a raising ace, but you're not always totally screwed if they don't improve.

CarlosChadha
06-02-2005, 03:39 AM
Beer,

Both your play and the thinking behind it were great! After countless hours of playing heads up stud where your bring in is always getting "stolen" I have found that 3 betting on 3rd with a small split pair when your opponent has a much larger doorcard is a poor play because it makes your hand very easy to read, and will usually fail to make your opponent fold (which they shouldn't because they will usually have several overcards). Popping it on 4th or 5th (dependinf on the out cards) is a lot more scary for the opponent, and also allows you the get away from the hand more easily if there board starts to look scary.

-Carlos