PDA

View Full Version : Moving Advice

Dynasty
05-31-2005, 08:06 PM
I'll be moving in about a month. Living a mile away from the Strip isn't good enough anymore. So, I'm getting a new place just half a mile away. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif (Actually, the Hard Rock bought my home an will be tearing it down in the fall).

So, I thought I'd ask for any general moving advice. What should I be sure to make happen? What should I be sure to avoid?

I'll be getting professional movers. There's now way I'm lifting heavy furniture down and up stairs.

ThaSaltCracka
05-31-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What should I be sure to make happen? What should I be sure to avoid?

[/ QUOTE ] I am not trying to be a smart ass, but I don't quite understand the question, sorry.

Dynasty
05-31-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I am not trying to be a smart ass, but I don't quite understand the question, sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking for general advice to make sure I don't screw anything up. At the moment, I don't have any specific questions.

gorie
05-31-2005, 08:14 PM
be sure to avoid having to pay rent at two places for 1 month like i just found out i'm gonna be stuck doing /images/graemlins/frown.gif

pokerjo22
05-31-2005, 08:15 PM
Professional movers expect a tip.

Duke
05-31-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking for general advice to make sure I don't screw anything up. At the moment, I don't have any specific questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget anything, and don't forget to turn off all utilities at the old place. Set up forwarding at the post office.

The way -I- help people move is to encourage them to pay some other poor son of a bitch to handle the heavy lifting. Good call on that.

~D

ThaSaltCracka
05-31-2005, 08:16 PM
make sure you mark the outside of your boxes with a marker, to mark the boxes contents. Also, if you are using good movers, have them pack your electronics and plates(if money is no matter). Be nice to them, and hook the movers up with some Gatoraide, they should be more cautious of your stuff.

Slacker13
05-31-2005, 08:21 PM
First make sure you use movers that someone you know has used before and recommends them, movers are one of the top scams in the country.
Nothing sucks worse than moving and not having phone or cable. Call in the calvary and have them all there the a few days before you move in(cable, electric, water, phone, DSL). Most important do all your painting and cleaning before you move in, you will regret trying to paint etc when all your furniture is in the house.

Plan one hell of a house warming party.

Ray Zee
05-31-2005, 08:38 PM
be double careful with any but the big moving companies as the smaller ones sometimes add on a bunch and hold your stuff hostage. no lie.
no reason you cant move all the ligher stuff yourself, a little at a time. its only a mile. get anybody to move the bigger stuff with a renated van. thats the best way without delays and buull crap.
get services ordered right away. they never get it right.
start your list for mail changes. credit cards etc. post office doesnt always forward correctly.

wacki
05-31-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, I thought I'd ask for any general moving advice. What should I be sure to make happen? What should I be sure to avoid?

[/ QUOTE ]

Be very nice to the movers. Provide them with gatorade and deli sandwiches. It's light food that will keep them moving fast and they will appreciate it. The kindness will be returned in how carefully they treat your equipment. If your driver (main guy) has all of his teeth you will be ok. If the driver doesn't have all of his teeth make sure you peek inside the truck when they are loading your stuff. The boxes should be loaded tightly in place kind of like a tetris game. If the stuff is just thrown in, then well, say something nicely to the driver and hope he doesn't take offense.

If you pack, pack everything tightly and in similar sized boxes. Boxes provided by the moving company are strong and fit well inside a truck. Random sized boxes don't and therefore end up being unstable in transit. Packing tightly means when you press on the lid of the box, the packing material inside it gives a firm resistance. NOTHING IS SUPPOSED TO MOVE WHEN YOU SHAKE THE BOX!

<==== 4 summers worth of service at atlantic relocation systems.

Zeno
05-31-2005, 09:56 PM
Most covered the main and important points. Just to emphasize did someone mention marking and labeling ALL boxes. Probably. But it needs repeating. Also, if you have nice paintings, wall posters, or other art objects that you value highly you may want to move those yourself. Pack your computer yourself. I want to repeat that: pack your computer yourself.

Make a checklist

Utitiles
Mail
Change of address
Friends to notify
Enemies to NOT notify

Etc.

This will help you get organized and make the move easier and smoother.

-Zeno

TStoneMBD
05-31-2005, 10:03 PM
make sure that when you are packing your dead hookers into your boxes that you diligently unscent the package with deoderizing products like febreeze. you dont want to get caught hiring a necrophiliac moving guy.

durron597
05-31-2005, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
make sure that when you are packing your dead hookers into your boxes that you diligently unscent the package with deoderizing products like febreeze. you dont want to get caught hiring a necrophiliac moving guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Attention new posters: if this is the first thread you've read in OOT, welcome!

brick
06-01-2005, 12:14 AM
Make it tough for them to steal things.

Tape boxes closed.
Number boxes and use generic lables only. Check boxes off list when loading and unloading.

sfer
06-01-2005, 12:28 AM
I moved three times during a 6 month period during 2001-2002. The first time my girlfriend at the time and I packed everything in our two apartments and moved into a larger one. We hired a guy to move the stuff. The second time I moved my stuff out of the apartment and again I packed and the same guy moved it. The third time my current employer reimbursed me for the expense of moving from San Francisco to New York, so I hired movers to come, pack, and move. The third time was definitely the best move. I walked around enjoying my morning coffee with a Sharpie and labeled each box as they finished packing. It was stress free.

The next time I moved, a year later, I had movers pack. I'm never packing for a move again.

bernie
06-01-2005, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
be double careful with any but the big moving companies as the smaller ones sometimes add on a bunch and hold your stuff hostage. no lie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw a story about this on some tv show. Man, some of those guys are just assholes. Bigtime.

b

sublime
06-01-2005, 04:03 AM
move the bodies to a new location

sublime
06-01-2005, 04:04 AM
bastard! i didnt see your reply till i posted mine!!

we are sick men.

Duke
06-01-2005, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember to pack the cocaine in coffee grounds.

~D

wacki
06-01-2005, 04:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Remember to pack the cocaine in coffee grounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh.... that's what the dead bodies are for.

jakethebake
06-01-2005, 09:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Professional movers expect a tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

HaHa...that was good thread.

kenberman
06-01-2005, 10:00 AM
I served jury dury one time.

a CNN photographer was remodeling his house, and hired a moving/storage company to move all the stuff, put it into storage, and move it back when the remodeling job was done. They moved all the stuff out and put it into storage, but when it came time to move everything back in, everything was gone. Literally, the moving company told the CNN guy that they didn't have his stuff anymore. He showed up at the storage facility, and they told him all his stuff was gone, "due to theft or fire". Those were the actual words.

This poor guy had traveled the world collecting things like Persian rugs, Chinese paintings, etc, and it was all gone.

The highlite of the trial was when the moving companies lawyer was talking about how cheap his clients prices were, and said "hey, you get what you pay for".

We awarded the plaintiff more than he asked for in damages.

youtalkfunny
06-01-2005, 12:52 PM
One of my favorite courtroom movie lines ever (from either "The Verdict" or "The Rainmaker") was when a jury foreman asked the judge, "Your Honor, are we allowed to award MORE damages than the plaintiff has asked for?"

maryfield48
06-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Label the boxes according to the room for which they are destined - e.g., kitchen, bedroom 1.

And put up homemade signs identifying the rooms (yes, even the kitchen) at the destination.

Joseph Busti
06-06-2005, 10:07 PM
What apartments are 1/2 mile from the strip?

LittleOldLady
06-06-2005, 10:24 PM
For a short move, rent a truck and go to UNLV and hire some sturdy students to help you disassemble. pack, load, unpack, reassemble. I used that system for cross-country moves and never lost control of my stuff nor got myself ripped off.

Dynasty
06-06-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What apartments are 1/2 mile from the strip?

[/ QUOTE ]

The place is called Desert Club (http://www.olenproperties.com/apartments.cfm?aptid=14). Surprisingly, this offical website is lacking in information. It doesn't even include all the floorplans which are available.

fnord_too
06-06-2005, 10:41 PM
Doccument all conversations with the utilities, they are quite good at screwing things up. Get names, write down the dates things are supposed to happen and exactly what is supposed to happen (like they are supposed to install two cable jacks for TV and one for internet for the normal installation fee of X.)

bernie
06-06-2005, 11:11 PM
With 5 sparkling pools it sounds more like a resort than an apartment complex.

b

Oski
06-06-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll be moving in about a month. Living a mile away from the Strip isn't good enough anymore. So, I'm getting a new place just half a mile away. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif (Actually, the Hard Rock bought my home an will be tearing it down in the fall).

I'll be getting professional movers. There's now way I'm lifting heavy furniture down and up stairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a solid quote up front. Don't fall for a "time based" agreement. Have them look at your stuff and give you a quote.

Be very careful of the "extras" One thing a lot of movers use is a "Saran Wrap" type roll of plastic. They put that stuff over everything for protection and to make stuff easier to move. It costs a fortune and they over apply it.

Go buy a bunch on your own and tell them if they need to use it, there it is.

Joseph Busti
06-06-2005, 11:27 PM
Prices?

youtalkfunny
06-07-2005, 04:17 AM
I lived in Desert Club for a short time. Mighty convenient when I worked at the IP.

Try to get a place with a view of the main pool (the one in front, near the office). This is the pool where all the strippers hang out. Girl-on-girl after dark isn't out of the question.

No such luck in the other four pools, like the one I lived near.

Also, after I moved out, they reneged on the deposit, citing repairs they had to make to damage that I know never happened. Of course, by the time I got the word that the deposit check wasn't coming, the "damage" had been "repaired", and a new tenent had moved in, so I really had no recourse. When you move out, make sure they walk through with you.

Which reminds me, when I moved IN, they handed me the keys to a unit that needed all sorts of repairs. I guess they thought I would just not make a big deal about it. They were wrong.

This was all 10 years ago, things may be much different now.