PDA

View Full Version : scoop? or poop?

Coppershoe
05-31-2005, 07:19 PM
Hey guys, I recently was playing in a live O/8 game and the following hand came up.
9-handed,
3 calls, cutoff raises, I'm in the small blind with Ac, 2d, 9h, 8d, and call the raise, as does the big blind. 6 people to the flop, which is 3 6 7 with a diamond flush draw. I think this is a pretty good flop for me, so I bet out, trying to get a few extra bets into this pot. Unfortunately, everybody except the cutoff folds. Then he raises. I consider reraising but just call. The turn is the 9 of diamonds. I bet out again and get raised. At that point I just went into calldown mode, and check-called the river, which was a blank.
What do you think about this line of play, and specifically, the turn bet? Should I just be check-calling with my weak flush and low? I just felt like I had to bet it with a potential scoop or at least 3/4 on my part. comments appreciated. Also, anybody who knows a better way of setting up live hands for review on 2+2, please share, as I know this is a horrible way of reading a hand. I'll post the results later if anybody's interested.
Thanks all in advance.
Shoe

GooperMC
05-31-2005, 09:15 PM
Pre-flop: I like the call, no reason to 3 bet here.

Flop: I also like the bet into that large a field.

Turn: Still like the bet. Up to this point it looks like he is playing AA or a set so I bet into him again. When he raises I would smooth call because I don't want to be free-rolling him to counterfeit me.

River: Put as much money in as you can if you don't get counterfeit and as little as you can if you do.

Most likely you are going to chop this pot however I think that you have a better chance of 3/4ing or scooping then you do 1/4ing so you will make a little bit of money for every bet you put in. The only way that you don't think jamming will make you money is if you get counterfeit which is why I would smooth call the turn.

If he has A2 with a better flush so be it. I think that he turns over AA2, AA3, a set, a naked A2 many more times which would make jamming profitable.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, anybody who knows a better way of setting up live hands for review on 2+2,

[/ QUOTE ]
Using the cards (4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif) usually helps. The format is rank:suit: ie "4 : club : " with no spaces.

gergery
05-31-2005, 09:16 PM
I think you took a perfectly acceptable line with that hand. I probably play it the same. I would not have considered reraising the flop. You are more likely to be 3 /4 than 1 /4 on turn so I bet, but once raised probably check down.

GooperMC
05-31-2005, 09:24 PM
Do you think that the turn raise means that you are now more likely to get 1/4 then 3/4?

I guess it really depends on the player and the limit. Against the majority of low limit players I think that I am still most likely ahead, maybe it is different up where you play.

In my limited experience I have found players in live games to be worse then .5/1 online so I would think that I was most likely ahead in a live game too.

Coppershoe
05-31-2005, 11:18 PM
Hey again, a little info about the table and how it was playing. There were often many callers preflop, and at showdown's, if a low was present, someone usually had close to the nut of it. The villain in this hand was already 2 racks in the hole and losing his way through a third.

I guess as soon as he raised on the turn though, I felt he was ahead. I don't see him raising the nut flush draw on the flop without some form of a good low, and I couldn't see him raising the turn without a flush, because it was the nut hand at that point, with no pairs being on board. MAYBE, A233 or A334, but the odds are against those.

Anyawys, afer check-calling the river he tables A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2, x and gets 3/4 of the pot. Doh!

I think the only other line I was considering there was check-calling the turn and betting out on the river. In the end I would have lost the same amount though.

Thanks guys,
Shoe

gergery
06-01-2005, 03:36 AM
I've been playing anywhere from 3-6 to 10-20 recently, and once he raises 3 limpers preflop I'll put him on good A2 or decent AA. Once he raises you on the flop, there is no reason to do that unless he has A2 plus something. That could be just top pair, flushdraw, twopair/set or some combination.

Then he raises again on the turn. so now i put him on flush likely, set possible. But given how he's played so far, he could easily have AA or A2 then its about 50-50 he has the Ad, and if he does then he's about 65% likely to have a made flush. and that's just with A-hi flush. He could also have K-T hi, so i give it maybe ~50-60% chance he's got a better flush. Of course that's based on a reasonable player, using some basic math. Then you need to adjust based on the opponent, obviously. But a decent player here is quite likely based on math to have you beat.

Ironman
06-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Shoe,

If this hand comes to me, I probably lose one more bet than you did. I probably raise the turn thinking He couldn't possibly have the same hand as me (A 2 and diamonds), so he re-raises and I go into call down mode.

Too bad about the hand. It's one that could have been very profitable especially after hearing he had gone through two racks...you could have taken his third. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dave

JoshuaMayes
06-01-2005, 11:45 AM
I would have lost more than you did. With a nut-low + a flush I will be 3/4ing more than I will get 1/4ed, so I would jam away. I would cap the river with that hand.