PDA

View Full Version : Fast Structure SNG

DavidC
05-31-2005, 05:11 PM
Stacks start at 100 (92 in one case, but 100 for the one that I play most often).

Blinds start at 1/2 and go to 2/4, 5/10, then double after that (10/20, 20/40, etc.).

They do this every 20 minutes, maybe 15 minutes, have between 8 and 11 players, and I can get in maybe a hand per minute and a half to two minutes (live game).

The good thing is that there's no rake.

---

I've noticed that very quickly I'm going all in.

Sometimes I'll raise to 3x blinds if I want callers, in the later stages of the tourney, but generally it's all-in, other than the first 3-4 stages.

I've noticed that many of the players are very loose, and often they'll minraise pf in the later stages. In the start of the tourney, the loose players will play stuff like K9o, etc.

What I'm curious about, is whether or not it's actually worth while being loose in the start of the tourney, because after a while it quickly becomes auto-pilot, and I feel that the shallow-stack, but deepest stack, first part of the tourney, is the only place where an experienced player takes a huge edge).

The problem is that at the very start of the tourney it'll be like 5-8 handed limped or like 4-6 handed raised, so it's hard to exert any real force at this point.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm going to try to talk them into the same structure with 500 in the stack. We'll see how that goes.

Oh, and the 2nd place gets two buys, first gets the rest.

--Dave.

DavidC
06-01-2005, 01:30 AM
bumpy

jgunnip
06-01-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What I'm curious about, is whether or not it's actually worth while being loose in the start of the tourney, because after a while it quickly becomes auto-pilot, and I feel that the shallow-stack, but deepest stack, first part of the tourney, is the only place where an experienced player takes a huge edge).

The problem is that at the very start of the tourney it'll be like 5-8 handed limped or like 4-6 handed raised, so it's hard to exert any real force at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be loose, you're just leaking chips.

However in that situation where you've got a bunch of limpers early on in the first two levels, if I've got any kind of hand, I'm just gonna push. If I don't get called fine, the chips I win from the pot are more than worth the risk. If I get called and double up, them BAM I'm in prime position.

I play in a similar tourney. every starts with 25 chips. blinds are 1/2 and increase (2/4, 3/6, 4/8 etc) every half hour. It's a $5 buy-in with 40+ weekly. By being super agressive in the right spots I've made the final table (8 people) quite often if I survive the first hour. I'm either out early or one of the chip leaders.

You have to be agressive or else you're just going to get blinded out.

wuwei
06-01-2005, 03:16 AM
That's a pretty brutal structure, especially when you consider how much slower live games play.

The small number of hands you'll see before the blinds get large and the very top heavy payout structure means you shouldn't pass on small edges early on. Push them.

I wouldn't loosen up too much, but I would be looking for nice hands that play well multiway in position if it's a loose passive game with that many people seeing the flop.

DavidC
06-01-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be loose, you're just leaking chips.

However in that situation where you've got a bunch of limpers early on in the first two levels, if I've got any kind of hand, I'm just gonna push. If I don't get called fine, the chips I win from the pot are more than worth the risk. If I get called and double up, them BAM I'm in prime position.

I play in a similar tourney. every starts with 25 chips. blinds are 1/2 and increase (2/4, 3/6, 4/8 etc) every half hour. It's a $5 buy-in with 40+ weekly. By being super agressive in the right spots I've made the final table (8 people) quite often if I survive the first hour. I'm either out early or one of the chip leaders.

You have to be agressive or else you're just going to get blinded out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on, what do you mean by "Any kind of hand,"?

jgunnip
06-01-2005, 02:48 PM
Defintely not any two. A top 10-15% type hand. 55+ AT+, A8s+, KQs. It's all about gauging your folding equity. The more likely you think your opponents are to call, then obvioiusly the smaller your pushing range should be. But a lot of the time, with 4-5 limpers and even with a small raise and a call, your push will get respected. I should probably say too, that after the first time and defintely after the second time, if you take the pot down, your pushing standards should tighten up significantly as your oppoents are now more likely to spite call you.