PDA

View Full Version : ATo raised on the turn. 1/2 6-max

cmwck
05-31-2005, 04:37 PM
Opponent really hasn't done anything out of the ordinaly besides call a lot and raise or check-raise when he had a hand (not allways a great hand though). He's 38/13/1.2 after 60 hands.

I really hate folding these, but maybe this is the time to. If I see a showdown I'll get 5:1 odds, so I'll have to win 16% of the time. There's no overlay from other players, and two straights just hit. Is there any way this opponent is raising the turn with less than top pair this often? Also, if he bets again on the river, the chances that I'm still ahead go down.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, SB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP folds, SB folds, Hero...?

milesdyson
05-31-2005, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't raise that preflop, but it's not that bad.

As far as his turn raise goes, what do you mean he raises with "hands," but not always "great hands?" Did you remember any specific hand with which he raised the turn? because I have folded this type of hand against some players at 6-max.

gharp
05-31-2005, 04:45 PM
I'm just starting to play 6-max so take it with a grain of salt, but I think you have to call down here. I've seen lots of people slow-play ragged A's when they hit an A on the flop.

Plus, if the guy has A5 (which seems likely), you've got something like 9 outs (3 T's, 3 7's, 3 6's) to catch him.

Reqtech
05-31-2005, 04:54 PM
This is a tough situation. Your read indicates that he only raises with decent hands (I'm guessing that means &gt; top pair).

He raised you with a scare card into the rest of the field. I don't think he made a straight (if he did, I think he'd wait to raise until the river with such a strong hand).

IMO, there's a good chance that he has 2 pair at best. Call him down. Top pair is too good of a hand to throw away in 6 max to just one raise.

cmwck
05-31-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't raise that preflop, but it's not that bad.

As far as his turn raise goes, what do you mean he raises with "hands," but not always "great hands?" Did you remember any specific hand with which he raised the turn? because I have folded this type of hand against some players at 6-max.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just looked back over the session in poker tracker. Apparently I was getting him confused with another opponent. As it turns out, he's only raised the turn once over the 64 hands i've played with him, and it was in this hand.

Isura
05-31-2005, 05:00 PM
I don't mind laying this down given your read. I don't think he's getting too out of line with a semibluff against 2 opponents too often, especially since you raised out of the blinds (BTW, what is your table image? He could be taking a shot at you if you've been raising a lot, but it's still less likely 3-handed) I'd fold. I like the preflop raise too.

Isura
05-31-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a tough situation. Your read indicates that he only raises with decent hands (I'm guessing that means &gt; top pair).

He raised you with a scare card into the rest of the field. I don't think he made a straight (if he did, I think he'd wait to raise until the river with such a strong hand).

IMO, there's a good chance that he has 2 pair at best. Call him down. Top pair is too good of a hand to throw away in 6 max to just one raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 2 pair is villain's worst possible hand here. A5-A7, a set, would play the hand this way, and this is more likely than some ragged 2 pair. On average we have about 3 outs against a legitimate hand IMO.