PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Hamburgers in the Oven

Dynasty
05-31-2005, 03:44 PM
A couple years ago, I decided to try cooking some hamburgers in the oven rather than in a frying pan or on a grill (which is pain where I live). The results were great.

I usually buy some simple Moran's frozen patties, set the oven to broil, put a couple in for six minutes, flip them, and keep them in for five more minutes. The result is a very evenly cooked burger which has almost all the grease drained into a pan below.

Anybody else do this?

P.S. to Clarkmesiter: Cows are delicious

nolanfan34
05-31-2005, 03:46 PM
George Foreman grill is what I use in the winter when the BBQ is packed away.

theBruiser500
05-31-2005, 03:47 PM
hamburgers are bland, they need a ton of onions lettuce tomatoe and ketchup to make it any good

tpir90036
05-31-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hamburgers are bland

[/ QUOTE ]
Nonsense. Go get some good lean ground beef, make your own patties and doctor them up with lots of spices and marinades.

jackdaniels
05-31-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go get some good lean ground beef, make your own patties and doctor them up with lots of spices and marinades.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. This is wise.

Dantes
05-31-2005, 03:58 PM
when I saw the thread title and the OP I was very disappointed to not see a steamed hams reference.

wacki
05-31-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hamburgers are bland, they need a ton of onions lettuce tomatoe and ketchup to make it any good

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you like being a masochist?

JTG51
05-31-2005, 04:01 PM
No thawing before you cook?

Dead
05-31-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hamburgers are evil. The poor cows have to die.

jackdaniels
05-31-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The poor cows have to die.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cows are food animals. Most of them wouldn't be alive if we didn't have a penchant for eating them.

jakethebake
05-31-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bruiser,

Stop posting to any thread related to meat. That is all.

jakethebake
05-31-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hamburgers are bland

[/ QUOTE ]
Nonsense. Go get some good lean ground beef, make your own patties and doctor them up with lots of spices and marinades.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. The fat is what makes them juicy and flavorful.

jakethebake
05-31-2005, 04:23 PM
If the grill is too much trouble, I greatly prefer oven-cooked burgers to pan-cooked. Spice them up with pepper and garlic, oregano and other stuff mixed into the patty.

sfer
05-31-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hamburgers are bland

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Overlean beef will make your burgers dry-ish and bland.

Dynasty
05-31-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hamburgers are bland

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Overlean beef will make your burgers dry-ish and bland.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to buy 4% fat in a empty attempt to eat better. But, they weren't as good (Clarkmeister can testify to that). Now, I get the 15% fat and they're perfect.

Pocket Trips
05-31-2005, 04:34 PM
As much as I hated Texas when I was there the one thing it had goin for it was damn good meat. Had a steak cookjed over mesquite that was absolutely the best thing i have ever tasted. The same person made hamburgers one night that were undescribably delicious. The tastiest burgers ever without much added to them except kettchup ( or catsup) and raw onions. In fact I ate the 2nd one without the onions because the taste was so good i didn't want to spoil it with onions

jakethebake
05-31-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As much as I hated Texas when I was there the one thing it had goin for it was damn good meat. The tastiest burgers ever without much added to them except kettchup ( or catsup) and raw onions.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very weird. Most Texans don't put ketchup on burgers.

cnfuzzd
05-31-2005, 04:36 PM
whats also really good, and may help with any dryness you might experience from oven cooking, is to get a good herb butter recipe, make a stick, then cut a slice off and fold it into the middle of each patty. Quite delicous, especially in this day and age of cooking burgers all the way through. BAH!

peace

john nickle

theBruiser500
05-31-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there's a lot of good tasting meat, like steak, or lamp, or duck or almost everything but hamburgers are not one of them

Pocket Trips
05-31-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As much as I hated Texas when I was there the one thing it had goin for it was damn good meat. The tastiest burgers ever without much added to them except kettchup ( or catsup) and raw onions.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very weird. Most Texans don't put ketchup on burgers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know.. I am from New Joisey /images/graemlins/smile.gif and i cringed as I watched peoople put just mayo on their burgers

Pocket Trips
05-31-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there's a lot of good tasting meat, like steak, or lamp , or duck or almost everything but hamburgers are not one of them

[/ QUOTE ]

Free range lamp is the best don't go eating any of those lamps from slaughter houses /images/graemlins/grin.gif

theghost
05-31-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hamburgers are bland

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Lean meat does not a tasty burger make. Go for 80-85% lean; juicy=g00t.

Ulysses
06-01-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there's a lot of good tasting meat, like steak, or lamp, or duck or almost everything but hamburgers are not one of them

[/ QUOTE ]

Eat a hamburger made from better ground beef.

wacki
06-01-2005, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Eat a hamburger made from better ground beef.

[/ QUOTE ]

This should do the trick. (http://www.rossfarm.com/beef/quarter.html)
/images/graemlins/wink.gif

stinkypete
06-01-2005, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i love lamp.

Duke
06-01-2005, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i love lamp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

~D

SinCityGuy
06-01-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
George Foreman grill is what I use

[/ QUOTE ]

Shillx
06-01-2005, 03:57 AM
Dude you gotta do it on the grill. Get some ground chuck or serloin, sautee some onions and place on the patties, melt the cheese on top of the burgers and you are good to go. We also marinate the meat in some SoyVey (mmmmm) before hand.

Doing them in oven just can't be good. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

daryljobe777
06-01-2005, 04:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No thawing before you cook?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most premade frozen patties have boxes that direct you to cook immediately without thawing for best results.

PukaPlaya
06-01-2005, 04:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cows are good. Fatty cows are better.

MMMMMMMMM.....

Seriously find some better meat to make yer burgers from.

PukaPlaya
06-01-2005, 04:54 AM
North Shore Angus. Grass fed is good!

Hamburger tastes like steak.

Steak tastes like... Well ya gotta be grillin' on da beach to find out.

KungFuSandwich
06-01-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

whenever I have bland food, I love to kick it up a notch with some lettuce.

jakethebake
06-01-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

whenever I have bland food, I love to kick it up a notch with some lettuce.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NiceCatch
06-01-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one for whom, upon reading Bruiser's OOT posts, "master poker tactician" is not the first thing to come to mind?

samjjones
06-01-2005, 02:24 PM
Get yourself a seasoned cast iron pan, and some fresh 80-20 ground beef. Season the meat with a little kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, and loosely form into a patty. Cook at high heat in the pan, turn only once, and DO NOT PUSH DOWN with the spatula. If this doesn't work for you, become a vegan.

jakethebake
06-01-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Get yourself a seasoned cast iron pan, and some fresh 80-20 ground beef. Season the meat with a little kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, and loosely form into a patty. Cook at high heat in the pan, turn only once, and DO NOT PUSH DOWN with the spatula. If this doesn't work for you, become a vegan.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know how to cook...lol. i just prefer the oven or grill to pan-fried.

NiceCatch
06-01-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
some fresh 80-20 ground beef

[/ QUOTE ]

This is key; you need that succulent animal fat. In case you hadn't figured it out, fat is what makes animals delicious. Regarding method, the George Foreman grill is wonderful for burgers, and is easy to clean as well. Total no brainer. You can also use it to cook lamp.

samjjones
06-01-2005, 02:30 PM
Sorry, Jake, my above post was directed for OP. Apologize for hitting "reply" to bottom post...

chaas4747
06-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Because of this post I made foil dinners last night in the oven for the GF and myself. Potatoes, green & red peppers, onions, and a 1/4 pound beef patty all wrapped in foil and baked in the oven. The result was delicious. Thanks Dynasty.

2planka
06-01-2005, 02:38 PM
My recipe:

Dan's Manburgers
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 oz dry red wine
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp green tabasco sauce
2 cloves garlic, pressed
3 pearl onions, minced
6 strips bacon
1 pkg shiitake mushrooms

Combine beef, wine, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, onion, and tabasco.
Work it with your hands until mixed. Set in the fridge.

Fry the mushrooms in a dry skillet over medium heat until wilted. Remove from heat when done and set aside.

Fry bacon to desired crispness.

Form beef mixture into three patties, grill until done, top with mushrooms and bacon. Chow down, open the windows, and fart away.

daryljobe777
06-07-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
DO NOT PUSH DOWN with the spatula.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is crucial, as pressing down will rid your lovely piece of dead animal matter completely dry.