PDA

View Full Version : I want to help some noobs that will be at my next tournament

jacki
05-31-2005, 02:33 PM
I'm hosting a home NLHE tourney, and there will be a few people there that have no clue. For instance, one guy has asked that there be a hand ranking chart available.

So I'd like to win their money, but I'd also like them to have a good time, so they come back again.

Soooo....does anyone have any good links to sites with a good how-to for beginners?

StevieG
05-31-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm hosting a home NLHE tourney, and there will be a few people there that have no clue. For instance, one guy has asked that there be a hand ranking chart available.

So I'd like to win their money, but I'd also like them to have a good time, so they come back again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Announce a time to "get your feet wet" an hour and a half before the official tourney start time. Start out with the basic mechanics of the game, played with one hand face up so that all can see what is happening and how the board can change the game.

Then give out some chips (if possible, use a different set from what you are going to use later) and hold a quick little freezeout. You deal, and unless you are shorthanded, don't play. Stop after an hour, that gives you time to set up for the real tourney.

If you really want to be a generous host, give the winner (or whomever has the most chips after an hour) a bottle of wine or something.

Slacker
05-31-2005, 04:36 PM
StevieG - you're a class act. Nice suggestions.

samjjones
05-31-2005, 05:05 PM
StevieG makes some great suggestions. If its any consolation, those of us who run tournaments for our friends were all in the same spot you are now at some point. You want to build a good base of players who ENJOY playing in your game. Focus more on making sure everybody has fun, and want to play AGAIN in the future. Then, you can worry about taking their money. It will be rough going in the early stages, but after a couple of months, you should notice a marked improvement in everybody's play.

yoadrians
05-31-2005, 05:25 PM
Teach them to call anything and anyone down with middle to bottom pair, as the other person is probably bluffing.

Can't wait until Saturday, man. Should be fun.

jacki
05-31-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Teach them to call anything and anyone down with middle to bottom pair, as the other person is probably bluffing.

Can't wait until Saturday, man. Should be fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great man, really great.

jacki
05-31-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Announce a time to "get your feet wet" an hour and a half before the official tourney start time. Start out with the basic mechanics of the game, played with one hand face up so that all can see what is happening and how the board can change the game.

Then give out some chips (if possible, use a different set from what you are going to use later) and hold a quick little freezeout. You deal, and unless you are shorthanded, don't play. Stop after an hour, that gives you time to set up for the real tourney.

If you really want to be a generous host, give the winner (or whomever has the most chips after an hour) a bottle of wine or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great idea. I think I'll be doing this. Well, except for the wine part /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BigRedAce
05-31-2005, 08:00 PM
My wife and I run couples tourneys a lot. We do a tutorial a half an hour before the cards go live. We don't do a full freezout, but that is a good idea, if you have the time.

I also make sure rebuys are unlimited and generous for the first couple of hours. Usually a buy-in of $20 means a rebuy of $10 with the same number of chips. Once, we let newbies rebuy more than old-hands, but this can get contentious.

We also give first-out prizes (like "Poker for Dummies" which is a pretty decent book), top couple, etc.

Irons
06-01-2005, 09:38 AM
#1 Keep it fun.

I try to run a good game. Check these and other sites out for more tips. I did put up a hand ranking sheet for the newer guys. It makes them feel better, and when they look you might want to think twice.

I've opened up my home early before for a 'practice' round or two. This has helped them get a GOOD idea on what's going on. A few have said that they now watch it on TV more.

Even guys that have never won any money said they have a good time. It's only $25 or so for a night of cards and food. What's better is, even though there are 7 regular guys, they all want to bring someone in.

Good luck man, let us know what works for you.

yoadrians
06-01-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's only $25 or so for a night of cards and FOOD .

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you hear that Kramer? We want Chips! Pizza! Nachos! English Muffins! Caramel Corn! Lots of assorted Chip Dips!

Don't hold out on us. Feed us!

bolgenmod
06-01-2005, 11:53 PM
All good suggestions. If you want a really good absolute beginners website, the Hendon Mob has an online tutorial that is really nice and easy.

This is the link: hendon mob beginner's guide (http://www.thehendonmob.com/guide/)

I hope that link works -- I am not very good at posting links! If it doesn't, go to the Hendon Mob homepage and click on the button that says "Beginner's Guide"!

JihadOnTheRiver
06-02-2005, 12:38 AM
www.twoplustwo.com/ (http://www.twoplustwo.com/)

sahala
06-03-2005, 04:33 PM
It's a possibly marginal suggestion, but I went to a very friendly home game that had non-cash jackpot type prizes for best showdown hand of the night, worst showdown hand of the night, etc. I think the prizes were a DVD or a hat...nothing too fancy. Also in a follow-up email to everyone, the host put together a re-cap of different events, such as big showdowns, best comeback, funniest quotes, etc. This made the tone of the game really fun, and brought more people in the game.

At this point it's mostly about everyone feeling accepted and comfortable.