PDA

View Full Version : dry climates

poker-penguin
05-31-2005, 11:40 AM
Ok, I grew up in some humid cities / towns. We're talking 80%+ humidity year round. Now I'm living in Calgary which is dryer than a nun's nasties.

Every damn morning it's like waking up with a cold. My nose is blocked (it also bleeds for no reason sometimes), my throat is sore, and I feel like I'm hungover even when I don't drink (it doesn't last long).

This damn dry climate.

Anyone have any tricks for dealing with this? Preferably that don't involve buying a humidifier.

I figure not sleeping in the sauna would be a good start.

jakethebake
05-31-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have any tricks for dealing with this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Move.

chaas4747
05-31-2005, 11:41 AM
Sleep with a humidifier in you room. You can pick one up for about $15 at a local drug store.

swede123
05-31-2005, 11:43 AM
Colorado here, very similar experience. The best solution is a humidifier, and not a super cheap one either. If you don't want to go to that step try buying some saline nasal spray, and spray your nostrils a few times a day.

Swede

stanky
05-31-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have any tricks for dealing with this? Preferably that don't involve buying a humidifier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you want to get a humidifier? It seems like the obvious solution. I can't think of anything else that would help-sorry

jakethebake
05-31-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you want to get a humidifier? It seems like the obvious solution. I can't think of anything else that would help-sorry

[/ QUOTE ]

An excellent question. If you insist on living in that frozen hell, a humidifier is really the only answer. They're not that expensive, although they may adversely effect all the priceless art you have hanging on your walls.

groo
05-31-2005, 12:31 PM
I've lived most of my life in dry climates so don't have much trouble with that, I'm told a little vaseline in your nostrils can work wonders, and will help you adapt. Though the nasal spray sounds healthier I'm told it doesn't help you to adapt and people tend to become dependant on it.

Mars357
05-31-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Though the nasal spray sounds healthier I'm told it doesn't help you to adapt and people tend to become dependant on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm...he said saline nasal spray... Not the type that is designed to DRY out your nose... all saline nasal spray does is add some moisture to the pipes...

I grew up in Utah and never really noticed the dry air but after living in Austin for five years I can't go back without a bottle of saline nasal spray and survive. It's a couple of bucks...give it a try....Ocean is the name brand but there should be good generics available as well.

Mars

poker-penguin
05-31-2005, 01:47 PM
I think I'll try vaseline in / around my nostrils (I've used it on almost every other orifice).

Don't want to buy a humidifier because I'm cheap, I hope I'm going to adapt, I'm going to be moving in September / October so trying to keep the stuff down to a minimum, and it would ruin my priceless collection of snowboarding "posters" (ripped out pages of magazines - so cliched, and yet, still a valid decorative technique).

Frozen Hell? I wish. Snow is great.

theredpill5
05-31-2005, 04:02 PM
Is it just your nose ? I have dry nose problems, too. Go buy some Saline Nasal Spray for like $2 in a drug store. You can sniff that whenever you feel your nose is dry and that should alleviate the problem.

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-31-2005, 07:42 PM
Man... I live in Denver and I got used to being able to leave chips or crackers open on my desk for a while - days at a time. I've been in New Orleans for a little while now and here, every time I bust open a bag of chips, the damn things are soggy like a damned wet sponge by the time I get through the FBI warning on a movie. Humidity can suck my hairy white ass.

Ray Zee
05-31-2005, 09:07 PM
get a whole bunch of good sized house plants. that will solve your problems and you get to live in a healthier climate inside your home.

wacki
05-31-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
get a whole bunch of good sized house plants. that will solve your problems and you get to live in a healthier climate inside your home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice trick.

miajag81
05-31-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea Mr. Zee, but if he is too cheap to buy a $15 humidifier I doubt he will want to buy a bunch of plants.

poker-penguin
05-31-2005, 09:17 PM
Plus I have a magical ability to kill plants.

spamuell
05-31-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Every damn morning it's like waking up with a cold. My nose is blocked (it also bleeds for no reason sometimes), my throat is sore, and I feel like I'm hungover even when I don't drink (it doesn't last long).

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow I've had this pretty much every day of my life and I've always lived in London. I just thought it was normal. I'm going to have to look into one of these humidifiers.

poker-penguin
05-31-2005, 10:40 PM
I think in London it's because you're smoking about a dozen cigarettes over night because of the great air quality.