PDA

View Full Version : Phrases that bother you/don't make any sense

Los Feliz Slim
05-31-2005, 11:11 AM
What are some common phrases (or metaphors or cliches) that bother or confuse you?

For instance, people will often say "it's like comparing apples and oranges" to indicate that two things are so different that they can't be compared to one another. But, it seems to me, that apples and oranges are very much alike - they're both round, fruit, healthy, bought in supermarkets, etc. They're more alike than the two things being compared 100% of the time.

What else?

tbach24
05-31-2005, 11:13 AM
"I could care less"

People are just so dumb

Toro
05-31-2005, 11:14 AM
"That's the least I can do" when they really mean that's the most they can do.

jakethebake
05-31-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"I could care less"

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the same idiots that say "irregardless".

twang
05-31-2005, 11:24 AM
I agree.

http://www.incompetech.com/Images/caring.png

/twang

Thythe
05-31-2005, 11:31 AM
"It's always in the last place you look."

Of course it is...unless you're stupid enough to keep looking after you found it.

Thythe
05-31-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
These are the same idiots that say "irregardless".

[/ QUOTE ]

While I don't make a habit of saying this word, apparently it is actually a word. Taken from m-w.com:

Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation: "ir-i-'gärd-l&s
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
nonstandard : REGARDLESS
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Jordan Olsommer
05-31-2005, 11:36 AM
twang.

I'm (nearly) speechless.

That picture is a beautiful, beautiful contribution to society.

I have always been looking for a way to explain that to people who apparently couldn't think less. Now I have it.

Thank you, good sir.

jakethebake
05-31-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
While I don't make a habit of saying this word, apparently it is actually a word. Taken from m-w.com:

usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

It another of those words that enough idiots have used that finally some other idiot decided it should be in the dictionary.

Rhone
05-31-2005, 11:56 AM
I can't stand "good to go." No particular reason, it just annoys me.

-Skeme-
05-31-2005, 12:00 PM
That's the best avatar ever, Twang.

hoopsie44
05-31-2005, 12:03 PM
"have your cake and eat it too." What good is possessing cake if you can't eat it ?

Also, "can't see the forest for the trees."

-Skeme-
05-31-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Of course it is...unless you're stupid enough to keep looking after you found it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the assumption it was, "It's always in the last place you'd look."

youtalkfunny
05-31-2005, 12:08 PM
"I could care less" used to bother me, too.

Then I figured out it was SARCASM.

Get it?

Put me down for, "It was meant to be." My catholic mother uses this a lot, to excuse or explain the things she doesn't want to bother with improving.

Jack of Arcades
05-31-2005, 12:11 PM
It might have originally been sarcasm, but 95% of the time it's used is without irony at all.

twang
05-31-2005, 12:15 PM
Thanks.

/twang

Jordan Olsommer
05-31-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

"I could care less" used to bother me, too.

Then I figured out it was SARCASM.

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

who the heck do you hang around?

I've never in my life heard "I could care less" in a sarcastic context.

beerbandit
05-31-2005, 12:22 PM
"im never going to drink again"

should end with, until tommorow night

cheers

kyro
05-31-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm cashier at a grocery store and I always hear, "I only came in for a few things!" after a $200 order.

No you didn't. Now shut it.

jakethebake
05-31-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm cashier at a grocery store and I always hear, "I only came in for a few things!" after a $200 order.

No you didn't. Now shut it, Lardass.

[/ QUOTE ]

NoChance
05-31-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one who has looked one extra place after finding "it" just to prove this statement wrong?

etgryphon
05-31-2005, 12:32 PM
I always thought it was weird that "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing.

-Gryph

jakethebake
05-31-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who has looked one extra place after finding "it" just to prove this statement wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the answer is "yes".

twang
05-31-2005, 12:34 PM
No pain, no gain

It's just moronic. Pain without gain and gain without pain is far more common than the statement above.

/twang

twang
05-31-2005, 12:37 PM
Inflammable means flammable? What a country!

/twang

pokerjo22
05-31-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"have your cake and eat it too."

[/ QUOTE ]

The Italian version of "you can't have your cake and eat it" is:

Non si puo avere la botte piena è la moglie ubriaca

which means "you can't have the wife drunk and the bottle full"

*sigh* very Italian, but funnier than the English version /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Los Feliz Slim
05-31-2005, 12:44 PM
I hate it when people say "literally" for emphasis, as in: "I literally shat my pants when that card came on the river". Unless you did, STFU with your "literally".

ttleistdci
05-31-2005, 12:48 PM
I can't stand anybody that:
(a.) Uses cliches way too much in normal conversation in an attempt to make themselves sound educated
(b.) Misquotes stupid cliches.

Just a couple quotes from some girl I work with:
"It was like giving candy to a baby"
"...the whole inch" (instead of the whole 9 yards)
"He hasn't come out from under the weather yet" (he's still sick)

If you have to use cliches to make whatever you're saying sound more interesting or make yourself sound more intelligent, then you shouldn't be talking. And if you can't even quote the cliches correctly, then you should be kicked in the head for making everyone else around you dumber.

ttleistdci
05-31-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate it when people say "literally" for emphasis, as in: "I literally shat my pants when that card came on the river". Unless you did, STFU with your "literally".

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with that one.
I read something last week that said, "I literally flew across the room." No you didn't, but if you did then I'm sure it would've made front page news...stop using words you don't understand.

Your Mom
05-31-2005, 12:52 PM
Same difference

spamuell
05-31-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read something last week that said, "I literally flew across the room." No you didn't, but if you did then I'm sure it would've made front page news...stop using words you don't understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there's anything wrong with this, it's not that people don't understand the word "literally", it's just that they don't happen to be using it in a literal sense. There are a ton of words like that. omgomg he said "ton" but of course you can't actually weigh words!

fluxrad
05-31-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a winner. I swear one of these days my brain is going to leap from my skull and strangle some motherfucker that says this.

MoreWineII
05-31-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I could care less"

People are just so dumb

[/ QUOTE ]

I [censored] hate this.

Soul Daddy
05-31-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"It was like giving candy to a baby"

[/ QUOTE ]
I like this one. It's even easier than taking it.

[ QUOTE ]
"...the whole inch"

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, that's just ridiculous.

WSUchica
05-31-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever seen Adam Sandler's " 10 Things that Piss me Off?" Link (http://www.ewsonline.com/jokes/pissmeoff.html)

ttleistdci
05-31-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there's anything wrong with this, it's not that people don't understand the word "literally", it's just that they don't happen to be using it in a literal sense. There are a ton of words like that. omgomg he said "ton" but of course you can't actually weigh words!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're missing the point. It's one thing to say, "I've seen that movie a million times." People understand that it's an exaggeration and you're just trying to say you've seen that movie a bunch of times. If you say, "I've seen that movie literally a million times" then you just look like a donkey...obviously you haven't seen a movie a million times, or even a million movies.
If you understand what the word 'literally' means then you wouldn't be using it in the sentence to show exaggeration.

spamuell
05-31-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You're missing the point. It's one thing to say, "I've seen that movie a million times." People understand that it's an exaggeration and you're just trying to say you've seen that movie a bunch of times. If you say, "I've seen that movie literally a million times" then you just look like a donkey...obviously you haven't seen a movie a million times, or even a million movies.
If you understand what the word 'literally' means then you wouldn't be using it in the sentence to show exaggeration.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not missing the point. Everyone understands the word "literally", it's hardly an obscure word.

People use words which are not accurate to exaggerate the whole time. It's not correct but unless you're writing an essay or something technical, I don't see why it should be an issue.

ceskylev
05-31-2005, 01:24 PM
It's because flammable isn't a legit word. It's like "irregardless" mentioned upthread. It's become accepted because of common misusage.

So many people confused the "in" (part of INflame) with the prefix meaning "not," that manufacturers starting using "flammable" to label clothing and containers. The idea was that people would see a warning like "inflammable liquid" and think that the liquid was NOT combustible, leading to legions of charred illiterates.

Gin 'n Tonic
05-31-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We have a winner. I swear one of these days my brain is literally going to leap from my skull and strangle some motherfucker that says this.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

ttleistdci
05-31-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not missing the point. Everyone understands the word "literally", it's hardly an obscure word.

People use words which are not accurate to exaggerate the whole time. It's not correct but unless you're writing an essay or something technical, I don't see why it should be an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a big issue, it just makes the person talking look like a donkey.

ceskylev
05-31-2005, 01:32 PM
"A million" is similar to "many."
"A ton" is similar to "a lot."

"Literally" is exactly the opposite of "figuratively," which is what you really mean when you misuse "literally."

Saying I literally flew across the room is not an exaggeration. It's wrong. You're already using "flew" in a figurative, exaggerated sesne. Adding "literally" makes you sound like a literal moron, even though you may just be a figuative one.
/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

spamuell
05-31-2005, 01:38 PM
ok so it's slang. It's still obvious what it means. In England (well parts of London), the word "allow" means the exact opposite of what you would expect it to mean. Or years ago, "wicked" did. Just because you're using a word colloquially, I don't think that makes you a moron.

ttleistdci
05-31-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"A million" is similar to "many."
"A ton" is similar to "a lot."

"Literally" is exactly the opposite of "figuratively," which is what you really mean when you misuse "literally."

Saying I literally flew across the room is not an exaggeration. It's wrong. You're already using "flew" in a figurative, exaggerated sesne. Adding "literally" makes you sound like a literal moron, even though you may just be a figuative one.
/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

THANK YOU for getting my point across...finally.

Bulldog
05-31-2005, 01:43 PM
"It is what it is."

ttleistdci
05-31-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok so it's slang. It's still obvious what it means. In England (well parts of London), the word "allow" means the exact opposite of what you would expect it to mean. Or years ago, "wicked" did. Just because you're using a word colloquially, I don't think that makes you a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're still wrong. It's not even slang. It's just the person saying "literally flew across the room" being a total moron.

jakethebake
05-31-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"you can't have the wife drunk and the bottle full"

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to start saying this.

AustinDoug
05-31-2005, 01:51 PM
"alot"

ceskylev
05-31-2005, 01:59 PM
Well, I was joking about being a moron, but I'm going to quibble with you calling this slang.

1) People who use slang, by and large, are doing so consciously. Poll 100 Bostonians who say "wicked smaht," and I'll bet most of them know the original meaning of "wicked." People who misuse "literally" and making an error and don't know any better.

2) Dictionaries list the slang definition of "wicked" as such, yet they list this questionable use of "literally" as a usage problem. Not only has this usage not been accepted as slang, but it *has* been accepted as incorrect.

That said, this isn't France, and so we don't have an official language council. Native speakers dictate the evolution of the language through usage, and so the only rules we have are what's generally accepted and what isn't. Wicked is gererally accepted as slang, literally-to-mean-figuratively is generally rejected.

tbach24
05-31-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That said, this isn't France, and so we don't have an official language council.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait...the French have an official language council? Why???

gulebjorn
05-31-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

moondogg
05-31-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"It is what it is."

[/ QUOTE ]

I use this one all the time. It's received far better than "you are either not willing or not able to change the situation, so stop your [censored] bitching and deal with it, you goddamn pansey"

ttleistdci
05-31-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"It is what it is."

[/ QUOTE ]

I just heard this 3 times in 2 seconds while listening in on one of those conversations that makes everyone dumber:
(person 1 is talking about how much he made this weekend):
1: It is what it is
2: It is what it is
1: It is what it is. Move on.

That exchange contributed exactly nothing to that convo.

Skjonne
05-31-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That said, this isn't France, and so we don't have an official language council.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait...the French have an official language council? Why???

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they don't have www.deuxplusdeux.fr (http://www.deuxplusdeux.fr)?

ttleistdci
05-31-2005, 02:19 PM
Phrases that make my blood boil (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=boiling_blood), by Maddox.

gunt
05-31-2005, 02:19 PM
This phrase always makes me squirm: " It's off by a [censored] hair." (when measuring something)

ScottTheFish
05-31-2005, 02:22 PM
"For all intensive purposes"

"Supposably"

"Escape" pronounced "Excape"

About 100 others said by people who should talk less, and read more.

tbach24
05-31-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the excape and axs. It's hilarious.

Yeti
05-31-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"It is what it is."

[/ QUOTE ]

I just heard this 3 times in 2 seconds while listening in on one of those conversations that makes everyone dumber:

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hope these people aren't your friends. If so, get new ones immediately.

2planka
05-31-2005, 02:28 PM
The midwestern use of the word "anymore" in the context of "lately," usually at the start of a sentence.

"Anymore, there's a lot of traffic here in Findlay Ohio."

"Anymore, the birds haven't been crappin' on my pickup>"

I also detest the New England phenomenon of "wickid pissah"

ttleistdci
05-31-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"It is what it is."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hope these people aren't your friends. If so, get new ones immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Actually it was the girl I work with, who is quoted above, and one of her dumbass friends who didn't quite have a handle on verb tense or agreement.

moondogg
05-31-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"It is what it is."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"

ttleistdci
05-31-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The midwestern use of the word "anymore" in the context of "lately," usually at the start of a sentence.

"Anymore, the birds haven't been crappin' on my pickup>"

[/ QUOTE ]

"Wicked pissah" is more of a Jimmy Fallon created phenomenon than anything. I have never heard anyone say that unless they were joking around.

bosoxfan
05-31-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know anyone who says pissah. Maybe I need to get out more.

pokerjo22
05-31-2005, 02:37 PM
I once heard two young kids argueing on the T about what the fastest possible speed was. They eventually agreed that it was 'wickid fast'.

maryfield48
05-31-2005, 02:38 PM
Do you guys object to the use of entree to mean main course? It's about as 'wrong' as pretty much all the other usages cited in this thread.

jakethebake
05-31-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the excape and axs. It's hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is irritating beyond belief. Your rib invitation has just been revoked. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
05-31-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I once heard two young kids argueing on the T about what the fastest possible speed was. They eventually agreed that it was 'wickid fast'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hilarious!

tbach24
05-31-2005, 02:43 PM
That's okay, I'm sure you're a "wickid pissah" anyways, lol.

I also say quexion and insert the x generally anywhere possible.

2planka
05-31-2005, 02:45 PM
I guess wicked pissah is a Worcester thing. Head to a local bar in the Worcester environs - one with live music. After the show the male fauna will rail on about just how wicked pissah the show was.

Edit: if you see Sully, Mackah, Fitzy, and OB, just lurk and you will hear this phrase used to describe such diverse things as as nachos, wings, jello shots, mixed drinks, parties, porn, sporting events.....

tbach24
05-31-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess wicked pissah is a Worcester thing. Head to a local bar in the Worcester environs - one with live music. After the show the male fauna will rail on about just how wicked pissah the show was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I went to school in North Brookfield and a lot of staff were from Worcester and they said wicked pissah a lot.

ttleistdci
05-31-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Edit: if you see Sully, Mackah, Fitzy, and OB, just lurk and you will hear this phrase used to describe such diverse things as as nachos, wings, jello shots, mixed drinks, parties, porn, sporting events.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I've lived in or around Worcester my entire life. None of my friends are named Sully or Mackah and I've never heard anyone seriously use the word pissah.

lorinda
05-31-2005, 02:55 PM
"Can I ask you a question?"

Lori

ceskylev
05-31-2005, 02:55 PM
http://french.about.com/cs/francophonie/a/academie.htm

Their main function is to keep the language "pure." I think it's exceedingly lame, actually, since one of the coolest things about language is the way it will evolve with the masses.

One purification technique is to re-name things when the commonly used word is too close to its English counterpart. For example, a lot of new technologies originate in the US, and therefore are named by English speakers. Many languages just adopt the English word (or something very similar), whereas L'Academie will change it to something else to avoid aglicising their language.

2planka
05-31-2005, 02:57 PM
I'm from Worcester and live there now. Pissah is still used.

2planka
05-31-2005, 03:00 PM
Oh and my next door neighbor, a chiropractor, answers to Mackah. This is especially true when my neighbor, Sully, and friend Fitzy head across the street to OB's place to play horseshoes, guzzle Coors Light, and drag their knuckles behind them as they roam the neighborhood.

ceskylev
05-31-2005, 03:06 PM
I disagree. It's true we use it incorrectly in relation to its language of origin, but in English it can mean main course. I'll accept "entree" and "flammable" long before I accept "irregardless" and "could care less."

Morgan O'Mally
05-31-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I was joking about being a moron, but I'm going to quibble with you calling this slang.

1) People who use slang, by and large, are doing so consciously. Poll 100 Bostonians who say "wicked smaht," and I'll bet most of them know the original meaning of "wicked." People who misuse "literally" and making an error and don't know any better.

2) Dictionaries list the slang definition of "wicked" as such, yet they list this questionable use of "literally" as a usage problem. Not only has this usage not been accepted as slang, but it *has* been accepted as incorrect.

That said, this isn't France, and so we don't have an official language council. Native speakers dictate the evolution of the language through usage, and so the only rules we have are what's generally accepted and what isn't. Wicked is gererally accepted as slang, literally-to-mean-figuratively is generally rejected.

[/ QUOTE ]

My Boy is Wicked Smart!

plaster8
05-31-2005, 03:17 PM
People who say "ATM machine" and "PIN number" have always bugged the hell out of me.

ttleistdci
05-31-2005, 03:21 PM
Maybe a little off the topic, but it bugs the sh*t out of me when people type words wrong on purpose just to make them look like slang.
ex -
tha
rulez
(other examples I can't think of right now, but I'm sure others can add to this list)

ttleistdci
05-31-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People who say "ATM machine" and "PIN number" have always bugged the hell out of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you rather them say "I needed to stop at the automatic teller machine but I couldn't remember my personal identification number."

2planka
05-31-2005, 03:23 PM
Oh, the internet speak of high schoolers bugs me:

r u bing str8 w me?

u sux cuz i rul

ceskylev
05-31-2005, 03:25 PM
No, he wants them to say ATM and PIN.

In related news, I once had a teacher who said CD Disc.

ttleistdci
05-31-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, the internet speak of high schoolers bugs me:

r u bing str8 w me?

u sux cuz i rul

[/ QUOTE ]

There are certain ones I can deal with. If it's a type of shorthand then I let it slide. For example "r u home" instead of "are you home." I can deal. But when people go out of their way to spell a word wrong just so it looks like slang is f*ckin stupid.

ttleistdci
05-31-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

In related news, I once had a teacher who said CD Disc.

[/ QUOTE ]

ohhh. Gotcha. Makes a lot more sense now.

plaster8
05-31-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

StevieG
05-31-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are some common phrases (or metaphors or cliches) that bother or confuse you?

[/ QUOTE ]

"that's cheap at half the price"

"head over heels"

2planka
05-31-2005, 03:38 PM
I can't believe no one has posted this yet. You know, when some pro athelete, you know, is doing and interview, you know, and this, you know, phrase keeps, you know, popping up between, you know, disjointed, you know, thoughts that, you know, Mr. Pro Ballplayer, you know, is you know, trying to you know, articulate....

lorinda
05-31-2005, 03:44 PM
That's because he's just been in "All kinds of trouble". Very traumatic.

Lori

Pocket Trips
05-31-2005, 04:23 PM
"kewl" has always drove me insane! i could see if it was shortening the word somewhat but it is exactly the same length as "cool" and a hell of a lot harder as far as typing on the keyboard is concerned

Kewl is definatly uncool

chaas4747
05-31-2005, 04:24 PM
How about saying mah instead of my? That is even longer than the original word.

Pocket Trips
05-31-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about saying mah instead of my? That is even longer than the original word.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah pretty much all phrases intended to "sound cool" in internet speak drive me insane... I could make an exception if a person actually uses a phrase in their normal conversation but when u go out of ur way to sound cool it drives me nuts... ur trying to hard if you do this

maryfield48
05-31-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. It's true we use it incorrectly in relation to its language of origin, but in English it can mean main course. I'll accept "entree" and "flammable" long before I accept "irregardless" and "could care less."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's your choice. By "accept" I presume you mean "use". You know what a person means when they use those phrases that you dislike. So communication is being achieved. Which is the purpose, right?

The point is the use of entree=main course no more identifies someone as a moron than does the use of "I could care less". Language is as usage does.

Get used to it.

jakethebake
05-31-2005, 04:35 PM
yadda yadda yadda

jason_t
05-31-2005, 04:36 PM
"Expresso."

ceskylev
05-31-2005, 05:26 PM
No. By "accept" I mean "am not annoyed by."

And I never (seriously) called anyone a moron in this thread. I never have, nor will I ever judge a person's intelligence based on their grammar and usage. I don't think the two relate very much. Maybe not at all.

[ QUOTE ]
Language is as usage does.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the sentiment, but I think you can take this too far. If I write you a letter and I mix up my there/their/they're, whose/who's, and it's/its, you'll certainly understand. That doesn't mean I'm not wrong.

You have to draw the line somewhere. I draw mine someplace between entree and irregardless, and I don't think it's an arbitrary choice.

Los Feliz Slim
05-31-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dated a girl who called every ATM a "Cash Station", which I gather is a Chicago thing. But I hated it and still do. She also said "smoke out" as a reference to smoking pot, which also bugged the living sh*t out of me.

FoxwoodsFiend
05-31-2005, 06:21 PM
I love how most people say "I could care less" when they mean to say "I couldn't care less." The two are opposites of each other, but somehow people think that saying that they're not as indifferent as they could be means that they're completely indifferent.
Also, I heard a guy say "We have two ears and one mouth so we can do twice as much listening to others as we do talking." This can't be true for everyody-there'd be a ratio of 2:1 of things listened to to things said.

FoxwoodsFiend
05-31-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It another of those words that enough idiots have used that finally some other idiot decided it should be in the dictionary.

[/ QUOTE ]
What makes this idiotic? Is there some inherent stupidity to words that you didn't grow up using? The language you were taught is the right one, and cannot ever evolve? I hate people who think "Ain't and irregardless can't be words! I mean, sure everybody uses them and knows what they mean, but it's not in the dictionary yet, and the dictionary can't be changed."

FoxwoodsFiend
05-31-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"It is what it is."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Was this at $40/80 at the Borgata? Because I heard the exact same thing and wanted to smack both of the people who said this.

BruceZ
05-31-2005, 06:36 PM
When the checkout clerk asks "did you find everything OK"? I never know what to make of this. I feel like saying, "No, I searched and searched but couldn't find what I was looking for, so finally I had to give up and take all of this stuff".

David04
05-31-2005, 06:37 PM
"Near miss"
"Uge"(huge when people don't pronounce the "h")
"Warsh"

FoxwoodsFiend
05-31-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you rather them say "I needed to stop at the automatic teller machine but I couldn't remember my personal identification number."

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think plaster8 was objecting to the fact that abbreviations are being used so much as the fact that the last letter of each abbreviation is then repeated:
"A.T.M. machine" means automated teller machine machine
and "PIN number" means personal identification number number.

spamuell
05-31-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

"Near miss"

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with this one?

David04
05-31-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"Near miss"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Think about it. Two planes are going towards each other but at the last second they miss each other. They nearly hit each other, but people will say "near miss" as if they nearly missed each other.

spamuell
05-31-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"Near miss"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Think about it. Two planes are going towards each other but at the last second they miss each other. They nearly hit each other, but people will say "near miss" as if they nearly missed each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's meant this way. It doesn't mean it was nearly a miss, it's just used to denote that the miss was particularly close. Like if a ball nearly goes into a goal then it was near and it was also a miss, so it was a "near miss".

It's confusing because the "near" could be describing the miss itself or the degree of the miss, but I don't think it's wrong.

Skipbidder
05-31-2005, 07:39 PM
"As opposed to"--I might be the only person in the world to care about this. The speaker usually means "as distinct from".

Any mention of quantum mechanics by someone who isn't a physicist. Scratch that. Make it any mention of quantum mechanics at all.

"Evolution is just a theory."

"Humans only use 10% of their brains."

And some that you hear quite often in discussions about sports:
"He gave 110% percent."
"_________ is the most underrated player..."
"It's a real chess match out there."
The use of the word "we" to refer to a sports team (by those who are not actually on or involved with the team).

gorie
05-31-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i only like when SCV's say it.

SCV, good to go, sir!

gorie
05-31-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this just reminded me of something funny my mom use to always do... whenever i would mention feeling sick...
"i don't feel good /images/graemlins/frown.gif"
her response:
"you were fine a minute ago."

it's like, it has to start sometime !

7ontheline
05-31-2005, 08:24 PM
I hate when people say "melk" and mean milk. It's an "I" goddammit!

Also, this one probably doesn't mean much to most of you, but I'm a doctor and it bugs me: people say LASIX all the time for laser corrective eye surgery, but it's actually LASIK. Lasix is a drug that makes you pee a lot. Big difference.

Eurotrash
05-31-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SCV, good to go, sir!

[/ QUOTE ]

wow gorie, this Starcraft knowledge is kind of cool /images/graemlins/grin.gif

let's not forget the Marine - "Jacked up and good to go!"

[censored]
05-31-2005, 08:32 PM
You people realize that all you have down is recited the same old sorry ass comedic rountine that has be used countless times.

"why do people say they could care less?" "That means they do care" hahahahahahaha Oh yes hating that is so cutting edge and extreme. How cool and original

"I hate when people day It's always in the last place you look" "of course it is" hahahahaha wow never heard that one before

this [censored] is so lame and overdone you all should be ashamed.

moondogg
05-31-2005, 08:37 PM
Ow. That hurt like 8 bitches in a bitch boat.

brassnuts
05-31-2005, 08:38 PM
I hate it when people start off a statement with, "Needless to say..." If it's needless to say, don't bore me by stating the obvious.

thatpfunk
05-31-2005, 08:38 PM
You rule.

gorie
05-31-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SCV, good to go, sir!

[/ QUOTE ]

wow gorie, this Starcraft knowledge is kind of cool /images/graemlins/grin.gif

let's not forget the Marine - "Jacked up and good to go!"

[/ QUOTE ]
ahhh... that's the stuff !! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

mason55
05-31-2005, 11:32 PM
Irregardless is a perfectly cromulent word.

Actually, I used to give so much people [censored] for saying irregardless. Then I gave in and just started saying it myself. Now all my friends and I say irregardless, in fact, i'll go out of my way to say irregardless. But I realize it's bastardized usage.

adamstewart
05-31-2005, 11:56 PM
"...same difference."

Adam

adamstewart
05-31-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Same difference

[/ QUOTE ]

ahh.. you said it first.

kudos.

jason_t
06-01-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"...same difference."

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

What about "random"?

brick
06-01-2005, 12:04 AM
Definite Possibility

CallMeIshmael
06-01-2005, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"...same difference."

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

Same difference is a correct statement.

CallMeIshmael
06-01-2005, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Definite Possibility

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct.

Saying somthing is a definite possibilty, means that there is a 0% chance that Action X will never occur.

Ie. Getting dealt AA on my next hand is a definite possibility

brick
06-01-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Definite Possibility

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct.

Saying somthing is a definite possibilty, means that there is a 0% chance that Action X will never occur.

Ie. Getting dealt AA on my next hand is a definite possibility

[/ QUOTE ]

Phrases that bother you/don't make any sense

/ IMO = or

Stuey
06-01-2005, 12:25 AM
That tastes like ass.

NSchandler
06-01-2005, 12:34 AM
My own personal objection to "irregardless" does not come from a defense of a wooden language, but rather that the word is used to indicate the opposite of what analyzing the word would suggest.

Irregardless means literally "not without regard," the opposite of "regardless," the word it is typically used in lieu of.

NSchandler
06-01-2005, 12:38 AM
this may have been posted before, but if you haven't seen this, this is funny...

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=boiling_blood

FoxwoodsFiend
06-01-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My own personal objection to "irregardless" does not come from a defense of a wooden language, but rather that the word is used to indicate the opposite of what analyzing the word would suggest.

Irregardless means literally "not without regard," the opposite of "regardless," the word it is typically used in lieu of.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, irregardless means what everybody means when it's said and what everybody understands it as when it's said-the same thing as regardless, but it's not like the prefix "ir" somehow trumps standard usage when it comes to determining a word's meaning.

Talk2BigSteve
06-01-2005, 12:49 AM
Heard all over the South....

Fixin' to.

I hate that statement.

USAGE: Geet yet? Ima fixin' to.

Translation: Did you eat yet? I am about to.

Living, Learning, and Laughing.
Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

maryfield48
06-01-2005, 12:51 AM
I always thought it was spelled "J'eet"

Talk2BigSteve
06-01-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I always thought it was spelled "J'eet"

[/ QUOTE ]

Who knows, I have misplaced my redneck dictionary. Yes there is such a thing.

fluxrad
06-01-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, irregardless means what everybody means when it's said and what everybody understands it as when it's said-the same thing as regardless, but it's not like the prefix "ir" somehow trumps standard usage when it comes to determining a word's meaning.

[/ QUOTE ]

What it comes down to is that people who use "irregardless" are [censored] idiots because it's obvious they meant to use either regardless or irrespective.

Not once have I seen a person called on this and say, "No. I meant to say irregardless."

Personally, I take this as notice that the person I'm talking to is a complete [censored], and interact with them accordingly.

CarlSpackler
06-01-2005, 01:20 AM
He needs to get off the snide.

NSchandler
06-01-2005, 01:40 AM
The prefix "ir-" is simply a form of the prefix "in-" meaning "not." Irregardless literally means "not regardless" or "not without regard."

Would you object if somebody claimed that "logical" and "illogical" are synonymous? Or "capable" and "incapable?"

It's true that a language must evolve, but that doesn't mean that every change must be accepted uncritically. To attach a prefix meaning "not" to the front of a word, and claim that it doesn't change its meaning in the least seems to me an abuse of the language.

At some point, the word must be accepted, but it's still widely considered nonstandard, and I'll fight its adoption as long as it remains that way. But I'm no literary theorist by any stretch of the imagination, so I guess just take my opinion FWIW.

IHateKeithSmart
06-01-2005, 04:04 AM
Useless props to my favorite restaurant from my NC days:

Irregardless Cafe (http://www.irregardless.com/)

The Gift Of Gab
06-01-2005, 04:32 AM
Valuable and invaluable have similar meanings. Are there any others like this?

daryljobe777
06-01-2005, 04:34 AM
When asking what date it is, someone replys with "the 25th...all day!"

Always has irked me.

Richie Rich
06-01-2005, 04:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"That's the least I can do" when they really mean that's the most they can do.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're wrong.

Richie Rich
06-01-2005, 04:38 AM
"How are you doing?"

Richie Rich
06-01-2005, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Valuable and invaluable have similar meanings. Are there any others like this?

[/ QUOTE ]
Simple way to think about it. Suppose you lost a certain item. If that item was valuable, then it could theoretically be replaced/reproduced/re-purchased from another entity for x amount of dollars. Anything invaluable cannot be replaced/reproduced/re-purchased from that other entity for "x" amount of dollars.

They only have similar meanings if you don't have sufficient assets to pay for the full face value of the object, at this point in time.

plaster8
06-01-2005, 05:32 AM
Along the same lines, I absolutely cannot stand the unnecessary quotation marks so many clueless businesses put around things. We were painting around the house the other day, and one of the brushes we bought said:

Quality brushes since "1892"

Why the quotes? I don't know. Maybe the year they refer to as "1892" is what everyone else refers to as "1998." Who knows.

And while we're on the topic of bad phrases/language usage, let's not forget the Holy Trinity:
its/it's
you're/your
to/too
(you could add they're/their if you want to make it a Holy Quadrinity. Or whatever you would call that.)

If people would just learn the differences between those, I would never bitch about language/grammar again.

Benholio
06-01-2005, 05:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Along the same lines, I absolutely cannot stand the unnecessary quotation marks so many clueless businesses put around things. We were painting around the house the other day, and one of the brushes we bought said:

Quality brushes since "1892"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, how can these people not realize how dumb it makes their advertisement/slogan sound?

Also, to those that use "u" and "ur": It makes you look really stupid. Add a couple more keystrokes, it won't kill you.

jason_t
06-01-2005, 05:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, to those that use "u" and "ur": It makes you look really stupid. Add a couple more keystrokes, it won't kill you.

[/ QUOTE ]

stfu

Fabian
06-01-2005, 05:57 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
We have a winner. I swear one of these days my brain is literally going to leap from my skull and strangle some motherfucker that says this.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Funniest FYP I've read.

The Gift Of Gab
06-01-2005, 07:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They only have similar meanings if you don't have sufficient assets to pay for the full face value of the object, at this point in time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh?

These aren't opposites. Invaluable may mean "not able to be valued," but valuable doesn't exactly mean "able to be valued."

Maybe I should have said that on a line from worthless to priceless both words are a lot closer to priceless even though one has a negative prefix. I can't think of any other pairs like this.

mason55
06-01-2005, 08:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not once have I seen a person called on this and say, "No. I meant to say irregardless."

[/ QUOTE ]

I say it all the time, intentionally, to be a jackass and piss off people like you.

TylerD
06-01-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh?

These aren't opposites. Invaluable may mean "not able to be valued," but valuable doesn't exactly mean "able to be valued."

Maybe I should have said that on a line from worthless to priceless both words are a lot closer to priceless even though one has a negative prefix. I can't think of any other pairs like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like someone said earlier in the thread, flammable and inflammable.

jakethebake
06-01-2005, 10:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What makes this idiotic? Is there some inherent stupidity to words that you didn't grow up using? The language you were taught is the right one, and cannot ever evolve? I hate people who think "Ain't and irregardless can't be words! I mean, sure everybody uses them and knows what they mean, but it's not in the dictionary yet, and the dictionary can't be changed."

[/ QUOTE ]

It's idiotic because it's used by idiots. The word is regardless. Why would you slap an ir- on the front of it unless you're an idiot? Go ahead and make up words. But just know that you sound like an idiot. Don't think you can just randomly misspeak and call it evolution of the language. It's not different than "excape" or "axk". Just because there's a bunch of idiots mispronouncing a word, doesn't suddenly make the mispronunciation an actual word. That's just stupid.

Los Feliz Slim
06-01-2005, 10:59 AM
This reminds me of a story. I used to have to drive through this terrible intersection on my way to work (Santa Monica and Doheney for you LA-ites). Neither lane in the intersection was marked "turn-only" and every single goddamn day I'd nearly get killed by people cutting each other off. So, I went on a campaign to get the left lane marked "turn-only". I was very vigilant and actually ended up on the phone with a city engineer. He told me that they actually did once have the lane marked and a sign posted, but that everyone ignored it. So, they changed it back and took down the sign.

If our reaction to people breaking basic rules is to change the rules to fit the people, we're going to have anarchy. ANARCHY!

crownjules
06-01-2005, 11:24 AM
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned.

"I'm doing good."

So you're doing evil sometime?

maryfield48
06-01-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's idiotic because it's used by idiots. The word is regardless. Why would you slap an ir- on the front of it unless you're an idiot? Go ahead and make up words. But just know that you sound like an idiot. Don't think you can just randomly misspeak and call it evolution of the language. It's not different than "excape" or "axk". Just because there's a bunch of idiots mispronouncing a word, doesn't suddenly make the mispronunciation an actual word. That's just stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may be stupid. But it's also a true fact - once the number of idiots reaches a certain critical mass, their usage becomes standardized and it does become 'correct'.

The only measure of correctness in language usage is acceptance - language is not logical. Sure it has some rules, but even in standard terms they're honoured more in the breach than the observance, as the cliche goes. Note my spelling of "honoured". If my kid uses the US spellings at school, she loses marks. Does that mean all Yanks are idiots?

Jack of Arcades
06-01-2005, 11:44 AM
There are plenty of examples of redundancy in the english language used for emphasis. Irregardless is one of those. I don't much like the word, but it's not unique.

jakethebake
06-01-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It may be stupid. But it's also a true fact - once the number of idiots reaches a certain critical mass, their usage becomes standardized and it does become 'correct'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's another one: idiots who say "true fact".
Stop being repetitive and redundant. When idiots say things like this, the rest of us non-idiots should not just give in and accept them as correct and proper just because enough idiots say them. We should tell every idiot we hear that they are, in fact, an idiot. We should attempt to correct them. Failing that, we should just continue to speak correctly. A lot of idiots do a lot of things. It doesn't mean I should.

maryfield48
06-01-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop being repetitive and redundant.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long do you figure this could go on?

jakethebake
06-01-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop being repetitive and redundant.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long do you figure this could go on?

[/ QUOTE ]

You did realize that was something called sarcasm? Just checking...

maryfield48
06-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Another thing jake. Read my post carefully, and form your own opinion on the probability that my choice of the phrase 'true fact' was unrelated to the subject under discussion. &gt;50%, you think?

bd8802
06-01-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Another thing jake. Read my post carefully, and form your own opinion on the probability that my choice of the phrase 'true fact' was unrelated to the subject under discussion. &gt;50%, you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know ... i just would like an example of a false fact.

maryfield48
06-01-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know ... i just would like an example of a false fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no such thing.

So what.

jakethebake
06-01-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Read my post carefully, and form your own opinion on the probability that my choice of the phrase 'true fact' was unrelated to the subject under discussion. &gt;50%, you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell are you trying to say with this sentence?

maryfield48
06-01-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Read my post carefully, and form your own opinion on the probability that my choice of the phrase 'true fact' was unrelated to the subject under discussion. &gt;50%, you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you're able to parse it. If not, the discussion is more of a waste of time than I had realized.

Mayhap
06-01-2005, 12:41 PM
When people end sentences with ".... and what not".
Three cheers for nebulousness.

/M

Boris
06-01-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For instance, people will often say "it's like comparing apples and oranges" to indicate that two things are so different that they can't be compared to one another. But, it seems to me, that apples and oranges are very much alike - they're both round, fruit, healthy, bought in supermarkets, etc. They're more alike than the two things being compared 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a bunch of BS. Have you ever eaten an orange and then an apple? Obviously you havn't or you never would have gone moran and criticized one of my favorite metaphors.

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps you should start a useless forum and never post here again.

[/ QUOTE ]

jakethebake
06-01-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you're able to parse it. If not, the discussion is more of a waste of time than I had realized.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was convoluted a sentence as it's been my displeasure to have to "parse" in sometime. However, I agree with you. I think the probability that your idiotic choice of words was unrelated to the topic is &gt;50%.

bd8802
06-01-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I THINK that he saying that subconsciously he is an idiot, and that he would not have said the moronic phrase "true fact" if the original conversation was not about saying stupid things.

Dominic
06-01-2005, 01:21 PM
my biggest pet peeve in this category is the use of the word "quality" to mean something that is of exceptional value, or good.

Quality can be good, or it can be bad.

"Quality" is not a synonym for "good."

So there is no such thing as a "quality car." Only a "good quality car" or a "bad quality car."

Actually, proper grammar would require the phrase to be "a car of bad quality."

Los Feliz Slim
06-01-2005, 01:21 PM
I am suprised it took this long for someone to take issue with my original example. If you assume that the intention of the expression is to convey subtle differences between two things, thus rendering them incomparable in some way, I'm right there with you. But, this isn't how most people use it, they use it to describe two things that are really, really, different. Which, as I've pointed out, apples and oranges are not. They are more alike than they are different.

Perhaps it's close, which as we know only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

bd8802
06-01-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my biggest pet peeve in this category is the use of the word "quality" to mean something that is of exceptional value, or good.

So there is no such thing as a "quality car." Only a "good quality car" or a "bad quality car."

[/ QUOTE ]

The dictionary disagrees with you:

Main Entry: quality
Function: adjective
: being of high quality

I think this is a quality post on my account.

mjohnson406
06-01-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

"If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"

[/ QUOTE ]

great stuff

crookedhat99
06-01-2005, 03:31 PM
"fuvking right!"
"underpants"
"YOOGE"
What time is it?
"Time for you to get a watch/GAME TIME"

jakethebake
06-01-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"underpants"

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean?

crookedhat99
06-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Some say underpants rather than underwear. Underpants just sounds wierd though.

jakethebake
06-01-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some say underpants rather than underwear. Underpants just sounds wierd though.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...I thought you meant it was a slang term for something else.

drewjustdrew
06-01-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"Anymore, the birds haven't been crappin' on my pickup&gt;"

[/ QUOTE ]

"Wicked pissah" is more of a Jimmy Fallon created phenomenon than anything. I have never heard anyone say that unless they were joking around.

[/ QUOTE ]

My roommate in college was from Boston. He said this back in 1994. I don't know what pissah (pronounced with a "z" sound) really means, and he couldn't provide a good definition. No it is not a Jimmy Fallon thing.

Edit: He was literally from Worcester. The pronounciation of Worcester is annoying "in and of itself" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anders_G
06-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Someone asked about the purpose of the French "Academie". It's simple - they control which words are allowed in Scrabble! At least that's what the Swedish copycat-version does...

BaggyAnt
06-01-2005, 06:55 PM
do you see why? n/m

Brain
06-01-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Someone asked about the purpose of the French "Academie". It's simple - they control which words are allowed in Scrabble! At least that's what the Swedish copycat-version does...

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was so they couldn't let any of that obnoxious English in.

trotski
06-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Nuculear. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

wayabvpar
06-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Mano a mano =! Man to man. Drives me loco.

The Stranger
06-01-2005, 07:51 PM
How about one that is used WAY too much in sports broadcasting:

"....., so to speak."

StevieG
06-01-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

At one point, the announcer for the Indy 500 this past weekend described two drivers as traveling "mano y mano" (emphasis mine). As they were traveling side by side I thought this was strangely appropriate.

jakethebake
06-01-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At one point, the announcer for the Indy 500 this past weekend described two drivers as traveling "mano y mano" (emphasis mine). As they were traveling side by side I thought this was strangely appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Are they gay lovers?

zeitgeist
06-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Three immediately come to mind:

1. People that say, "begs the question" when what they mean to say is " gives rise to the question."

For instance: "Over 6,000 people have registered for the tournament, which begs the question of how they're going to fit them all in the poker room."

No, no, no. "Begs the question" refers to a specific logical fallacy of supporting an argument by assuming the point in issue. Example from the web (no, I'm not an atheist but it's still a good example):

Bill: "God must exist."
Jill: "How do you know?"
Bill: "Because the Bible says so."
Jill: "Why should I believe the Bible?"
Bill: "Because the Bible was written by God."

That's begging the question.

2. People that say "disinterested" when they mean to say "uninterested". "Disinterested" means unbiased. A judge is supposed to be disinterested. "Uninterested" means "not giving a sh*t". [for example, when I mention this peeve to my wife she is quick to point out that she is *uninterested* in it]

3. People (usually cops) that say "the vehicle was travelling at a high rate of speed." This simply makes no sense. It was either travelling at a high speed or at a high rate of movement (both mean the same thing); "rate of speed" is just made-up bureaucratese.

Talk2BigSteve
06-01-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"How are you doing?"

[/ QUOTE ]

"Fine!"
"Bullsh!t, Hair is fine, How's you hair? It fine"

The Goober
06-01-2005, 10:39 PM
"as a matter of fact"
"the fact of the matter is"

this is virtually always followed by someone's retarded theory or some useless anecdotal evidence.

"the exception proves the rule"

people love to say this when you provide a counter example to their stupid theory. When ben franklin (I think it was him) said this, he was using an older definition of "proves" that actually means "tests". People who think that finding a counter example actually make a theory more correct are just mind-blowingly dumb.

Wozza
06-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Written rather than spoken, but it gives me the absolute shits when someone writes 'your' instead of 'you're'. Another is 'I would of done it' instead of 'I would have done it'. And how come 50% of people spell the bad guy 'Villian'?

And if you don't know when to use 'You and I' and 'You and me', then [censored] ask someone.

Spoken it's a toss up between someone saying 'Cattle dog' instead of 'Catalogue' and 'Artichoke' for 'Architect' (maybe an Aussie thing).

But 'You're a gentleman and a scholar' wins every time...

blaze666
06-03-2005, 02:45 AM
any txt tlk, omfg, lol, like totally roflmao!!!

private joker
06-03-2005, 03:35 AM
There have been a lot of mentions of redundancies in this thread, and I'd like to take this moment to quote George Carlin's brilliant passage from his new book. I've italicized all the redundancies for those unwashed masses reading the forum:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Respondendo a:</font><hr />
My fellow countrymen, I speak to you as coequals, knowing you are deserving of the honest truth. And let me warn you in advance, my subject matter concerns a serious crisis caused by an event in my past history: the execution-style killing of a security guard on a delivery truck. At that particular point in time, I found myself in a deep depression, making mental errors which seemed as though they might threaten my future plans. I am not over-exaggerating.

I needed a new beginning, so I decided to pay a social visit to a personal friend with whom I share the same mutual objectives and who is one of the most unique individuals I have ever personally met. The end result was an unexpected surprise. When I reiterated again to her the fact that I needed a fresh start, she said I was exactly right; and, as an added plus, she came up with a final solution that was absolutely perfect.

Based on her past experience, she felt we needed to join together in a common bond for a combined total of twenty-four hours a day, in order to find some new initiatives. What a novel innovation! And, as an extra bonus she presented me with the free gift of a tuna fish. Right away I noticed an immediate positive improvement. And although my recovery is not totally complete, the sum total is I feel much better now knowing I am not uniquely alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Transference
06-03-2005, 04:04 AM
"I'll try anything once."

Really, how about eating [censored]? Would you like to eat some dog feces? No? Then STFU!

"What doesnt kill you makes you stronger."

Smoking hasnt killed me yet, clearly its making me stronger.

jason_t
06-08-2005, 03:18 PM
"Hella" and especially "hella tight."

Go back to NorCal.

Wetdog
06-08-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
"alot"

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to start saying this alot too. Can you see why?

Delphin
06-08-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually quality is both an adjective and a noun.

From www.m-w.com (http://www.m-w.com)

Main Entry: quality
Function: adjective
: being of high quality

man
06-08-2005, 06:32 PM
I hate when people type "u" on AIM, or anywhere.

and I also hate people who mix up "you're" and "your," "there" and "their" and "they're," as well as "to" and "too."

I'm not joking, I really want to kill them.

zeitgeist
06-09-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and I also hate people who mix up "you're" and "your," "there" and "their" and "they're," as well as "to" and "too."

[/ QUOTE ]

I see this constantly here and on RGP (more so on RGP): "loose" and "lose".

squeek12
06-10-2005, 08:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So many people confused the "in" (part of INflame) with the prefix meaning "not," that manufacturers starting using "flammable" to label clothing and containers. The idea was that people would see a warning like "inflammable liquid" and think that the liquid was NOT combustible, leading to legions of charred illiterates.

[/ QUOTE ]

golden

Peter
06-10-2005, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate when people say "melk" and mean milk. It's an "I" goddammit!

[/ QUOTE ]

You better never go to the Netherlands then.

7ontheline
06-10-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nuculear. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it's spelled "nukular." /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Daliman
06-10-2005, 11:47 AM
&lt;-------

Golden_Rhino
06-13-2005, 06:35 PM
gooder. Worked at a video store and had a girl ask which of the two movies in her hand was gooder.

blaze666
06-14-2005, 02:27 AM
'this is quality merchandice', because quality is not an ajective, it is a noun. so that phrase means absolutly nothing, and has no information withing whatsoever.

Aytumious
06-14-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
'this is quality merchandice', because quality is not an ajective, it is a noun. so that phrase means absolutly nothing, and has no information withing whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check your dictionary again. Quality is most certainly an adjective. Not a quality post on your part. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

AgentBishop
06-15-2005, 11:46 AM
"it's a moot point." As if to say, it's an irrelevant point. But what bugs me the most is if a term used improperly long enough it becomes proper.

Also, these are mostly idioms you're(is that the right your/you're? Laugh Out Loud.)talking about. there are tons of them and some are pretty stupid.
Idioms (http://www.answers.com/library/Idioms)
Also, it seem "apples and oraganges" used to be "apples and oysters." Which would make a lot more sense when trying to say two things should not be compared.

Los Feliz Slim
06-15-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it seem "apples and oraganges" used to be "apples and oysters." Which would make a lot more sense when trying to say two things should not be compared.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that is an awesome piece of information. Boris, your birthday gift is "apples and oysters", your new favorite idiom.

JTrout
06-15-2005, 01:14 PM
"Luckier than a two-dick dog".
They are implying that the dog is lucky because he would get twice as many bitches.
But I don't think this is the case at all.
I think the extreme abnormality would result in getting fewer bitches.

Not to mention- he'd probably end up in a freak show. And that's no kind of life.

McGahee
06-15-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not joking, I really want to kill them.

[/ QUOTE ]

McGahee
06-15-2005, 02:00 PM
"What can you do with a History degree?"

I don't know dipshit - what CAN'T you do? And how many people who aren't doctors/lawyers actually work in the field they went to school for?

stankybank
06-15-2005, 02:28 PM
"You know what I'm saying?"

That sounds really stupid, seriously. Think about it. Person A will ask Person B to explain something. Person B explains, says "you know what I'm saying?". It's like you're either asking if the other person is smart enough to comprehend what was just explained or you're expecting the other person to suddenly realize what the explanation meant like everyone knows somehow but just needs to be reminded once in a while.

You know what I'm saying??? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

CrazyEyez
06-15-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree.

http://www.incompetech.com/Images/caring.png

/twang

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm late to this thread, but I couldn't pass this up with out saying THANK YOU.
I couldn't be happier about this diagram. The only downside is that anyone who says it wrong won't understand the diagram anyway. But I can show it to them and laugh condescendingly.