PDA

View Full Version : Playing online for a living, Year 2 - Penthouse to outhouse

davidross
05-31-2005, 11:06 AM
I find it hard to believe that it’s been 2 years already since I last worked at a conventional job. As of the end of April my 2nd year of playing full time online poker is complete. If I look at the year as a whole, it was certainly a great year, but it’s hard to feel enthusiastic about it since it finished with a terrible drought.

My first year was very well documented. I went through a lot of things for the first time. I changed limits, moving both up and down, I changed sites, and I added extra tables. I had my first serious losing streaks. I established a routine regarding when I would play, and for how long. In short it was an adventure.

The second year became much more like a regular job, although not really like any job I’d ever had before. When the year began, I had just made the move to the 15/30 game. I had averaged around $1,600 a week over the first year, which included 6 months of 3/6, and 6 months of 5/10 6 max. When year 2 began I felt like I’d discovered the goose that laid the golden egg, I was up 56K in the first 10 weeks alone, and by the 26 week halfway mark I was up 123K for the year. I was actually making money faster than my wife could spend it and we began putting money away towards a 2nd story on our house that we had talked about for ages but never really thought it would happen. My wife was working full time now for the first time in our married life, and life was really great.

The only real significant change I made during the year was adding tournaments to my usual routine. It started as a whim to try and qualify for the WSOP, but became almost an obsession for me. I went to Vegas for the series and met up with some posters I had corresponded with a lot, and still do, eMark and Sobe Dude. Sobe managed to get a seat while eMark and I missed out and took in the side action and the atmosphere, and I vowed to go back again and play. I had certainly gotten the tournament bug and started playing them each night. I started with $10 and $20 buy in’s but didn’t take long to move up to the $100 and $150 Super tournaments they ran each night at Party. I kept 2 bankroll’s, one at Party for tournaments, and one at Empire where I played all my ring games for the rakeback. I was very fortunate to have an $18,000 2nd place fairly early on that gave my bankroll a big boost, and I did manage to win 5 times over the course of the year, although never a “super”, just the $100 NL’s.

Playing tournaments kept the game fresh for me, because to be honest playing the same games every day could get a little tedious. I played every day, 2 sessions on weekdays, and evening sessions on the weekends. I was making enough money to take time off whenever ai wanted, but usually I played every day. If I went deep into a tournament I would skip playing ring games for that night, but other than that it was business as usual. There is no doubt I spent my non-playing hours thinking about tournaments. I went to Foxwoods in November for the World Poker Open and tried to qualify for the main event, but just like the WSOP I came up well short. Playing live is a whole new ballgame for me, and the structure and speed of the satellites just doesn’t fit my natural game. The limits go up pretty fast, and you really get a small number of hands during that time, you really can’t sit back and wait for premium hands. I really need to play more of these to get used to them.

The week I went to Foxwoods was the first bad week I had all year for ring games. Over 6 months of playing I had only 2 losing weeks, and neither of them was over $700. I left for Foxwoods on a Wednesday and in the 3 days leading up to that I lost $7600. I spent $4K on entry fees at Foxwoods and won back around $2K in ring games, making it a very expensive week. But when I came back I went on a rush, winning $30K in the next 4 weeks heading into Christmas. I booked a February Cruise for the Family and we had a great Christmas where I took a week off from playing.

By this time I was making sure to take time off when I could. For the first time ever I was feeling it physically. I kept very strange hours, usually playing until 3 or 4 in the morning, then getting up to make breakfast and pack lunches for my kids before going back to bed. The end result though was I could go weeks without sleeping more than 4 hours at a time. My mother told me at Christmas time that I looked tired, and I vowed to try and take a few more breaks from playing. When January started I was still on a roll, so much so that on the 20th of January I did something I had never done before, I cashed out in the middle of the week.

I have never been comfortable leaving a lot of money in the poker accounts. For 15/30 I didn’t like letting it get below $8K, but my routine was to cash out my regular withdrawal every second Saturday, and if my balance was real high I would take out a big chunk and move it to our house fund. Because of a great run I found myself on a Wednesday night with over $30K in my account and I decided to take out $20K. I didn’t know it then but I wouldn’t make another withdrawal from Empire for 4 months. I had run bad before, I had a 4 week stretch the previous January where I broke even. Maybe I will just take January off next year. But I sure wasn’t prepared for the run I went on now. I lost $7K in the next 4 days of that week, then $9500 the next week. I had a $5,800 single day loss, more than double the biggest amount I had ever lost before, followed by a $3,200 loss the next day, completely wiping out my Empire bankroll. I was forced to start playing ring games at both Party and Empire giving up some rakeback while I tried to move funds back to Empire.

The first week of February, the 6 of us went on a cruise out of Miami, to the Bahamas, St Thomas, Puerto Rico and Haiti. The break couldn’t have come at a better time, giving me a chance to get my thoughts back together. I came back ready to get back on track, but it didn’t happen. The night we got home I made $1200 and thought January was just a blip on the radar, but the next 2 weeks were both losers again. I had only had 2 single day losses over 2K all year, and now I had 8 of them in a 4 week period. Over 28 days, 19 of them were losers for me. And I made all the mistakes bad players made during this stretch. I played long hours when I was stuck, and I quit early if I got up trying to protect a win. Now a lot more people than my mother told me I looked tired. I wasn’t sleeping much, and when I did go to bed I couldn’t sleep. You think about a lot of things when you’re running bad. You wonder if it’s just the cards or if you’re game has somehow changed. Maybe the games have gotten tougher. Maybe I’ll have to find a real job again. My wife was seriously concerned about my health. As my frustration grew, my usual sunny disposition clouded over. I found myself cursing the computer over and over again. My wife couldn’t handle listening to me and started watching TV upstairs. I found myself playing after the kids came home in the afternoon trying to get unstuck, then getting mad at them when they interrupted me to tell me about their days. I really wasn’t enjoying myself anymore. I posted about the losing streak and got quite a mixture of replies. From the long time posters I got constructive criticism’s and “hang in there” kind of replies. From a large number of posters I got scathing criticism’s of my play going so far as to question how I’d ever been able to win at all. Not only did I begin to question my own ability, I think at this point my game really did begin to deteriorate.

There are a lot of ways to lose. Some days you just can’t win a pot. You don’t get many hands to play and when you do, they just don’t hit the flop. Slowly you get ground down. It happens all the time, and you have a small losing day. Some days you get lots of good cards, but seem to win just the blinds with your big hands, and lose every pot that seems to go to the showdown. Those days get expensive. Playing hands to the river only to come second gets very expensive, and those were the days that seemed to happen a lot. Lets face it, unless you are simply terrible, dropping 3K in 1000 hands is getting cold decked. Especially when you’re as tight and passive as I am. The major criticism of my game is that I’m weak-tight, but that style of play actually reduces the swings, making 3K losses even less likely. But after 6 weeks of losing, I think my game did change. I started getting even more passive than usual, especially post-flop. Getting rivered again and again made me too afraid to raise with less than the nuts. And when I did raise, it killed any further action as the savvy players picked up on my play. As February turned to March I felt for the first time that I was outclassed in the games. I was getting outplayed, and I knew it.

2 things kept my head above water in March and April. The first was tournaments. During a 5 day stretch in early March I made 4 final tables. No top 3 finishes, but over 10K in prizes combined covered my ring game losses for a couple of weeks. 2 weeks later I picked up $12K for a win during a week where I had yet another 3K loss. The other saving grace was rakeback. I have been anb affiliate at Empire since signing up for my own rakeback program. I have had a moderate number of people signed up on my account, but I always made more on my own rakeback than the total of players playing on my account. Towards the end of 2004 I had a rash of new players sign on to my account and early in 2005 it peaked. Players come and go in these programs, but during the 4 bad months to start 2005 I had my 4 biggest affiliate months, which took all kinds of pressure off my day to day performance.

As my poor results continued into April it was clear I had to do something. I was up $9,000 in the 11 weeks since the losing streak began, but that was due to $20K in tournament winnings. When I lost another $6K during a week in April, leaving me with $1700 in my Empire account I quit playing 15/30. I chose to go back to the 5/10 6 max games that I had been playing before I moved up to 15/30.First of all, 5/10 was the highest limit I could really afford without reloading from savings, and I knew I had to work on my aggressiveness. 6 max really forces you to play aggressive so that’s where I went. I also took a break from playing tournaments, simply because the entry fees were as much as my expected profits if I could return to winning 2 BB/100 hands. The return to 5/10 sure didn’t make an immediate improvement. After a small win in my first week, I got killed again in my 2nd week for a $2500 loss, which equates to $7500 at 15/30. But after that I seemed to find my game and finally I had 3 winning weeks in a row. I worked on being more aggressive pre-flop and post-flop. I got my pre-flop raise number up to 14% from around 10% before, simply by never limping first or 2nd in, and never cold calling. 3 bet or fold to a raise, raise or fold a limper. The only way to get my numbers any higher pre-flop will be to raise more from the blinds, and I’m not ready for that yet. I also changed my user name when I went to the 5/10 games so no one had any notes on me which game me a fresh start as well.

The other development in May was I took on a coach. I am a big believer in coaching. Even when I was running well I had approached some big-name coaches regarding lessons but had never actually hired anyone. Late in 2004 I had contacted Tommy Angelo when I heard he was coaching as I had always loved his articles and his posts. Tommy was offering help for live game players and was very honest in expressing that he didn’t think he could help me in my circumstances. Then in April he contacted me after reading my posts on the losing streak, and told me he thought he could help. I jumped at the chance and we set up some phone meetings over 3 straight days. 1 hour to 90 minutes each day and it was an unbelievably productive 3 days for me. We spent exactly zero minutes talking about game play, instead we focused on ways to make sure I played my “A” game all the time. It made me realize how far off track I had become, and how much energy I was wasting on things that really wouldn’t help my overall game. I still have 90 minutes credit with Tommy, and I am really looking forward to spending more time with him.

After 4 weeks of 6 max play my win rate was only just above 1 bb/100 but that was due to the horrible week at the start. I felt I was in the right place mentally, and my bankroll was once again big enough to play 15/30. Although I could have easily reloaded from my savings, it was important to me that I get the bankroll back up by winning so that’s what I did. Although it’s way too early to tell, I have now won 10 of my first 11 days back at 15/30 and my confidence has returned. Let’s hope year 3 turns out as well as the first 2.

I think when I look back in the years to come that the first 8 months of this past year will have been the “golden” time of online poker. New players were rushing into the game and I was one of the early online pro’s waiting for them with open arms. There is now a small army of online pro’s, some of them playing 8 tables at a time filling up every table I sit at. I have to change tables a lot more now than I ever did before, but there are still a lot of good games out there, and I suspect there always will be at least for the foreseeable future.

jvphish
05-31-2005, 11:16 AM
ouch
good read, thanks for wasting a half hour of my class time...

bicyclekick
05-31-2005, 11:23 AM
Glad to hear you're back on track david!

Thanks for sharing.

BK

NoRiverRats
05-31-2005, 11:40 AM
Your posts are entertaining and helpful. I am sure I am not the only person here who appreciates the insight into the dymanics of running good and bad, although the latter is probably more useful to any serious poker player. Thanks again.

Toddster18
05-31-2005, 11:50 AM
David-

You don't know me, but i've kept up-to-date on your skid, and have felt for you the whole time.

Makes me happy to see that you appear to be back-on-track. I hope the poker gods put you on a ridiculous rush for about the next 2 months. Good luck.

-Todd

TStoneMBD
05-31-2005, 12:14 PM
this is a great story and im glad i read it. i really hope things work out for your david. good luck to you and please keep us posted.

pokerstudAA
05-31-2005, 12:18 PM
Your story continues to interest me David - thanks for the update. I often realize that playing the "game" of poker involves much more than AQ's and JJ's. Bankroll management and game/limit selection become very important. Large tournament entry fees and variance can severly impact a bankroll. On top of all that, trying to maintain a somewhat stable income the entire year is extremely tough to accomplish - its hard way to make an easy living.

Poker is hard. Long term success at poker is even harder.

Good luck in the future.

SippinSoma
05-31-2005, 12:33 PM
Congratulations on hanging in there David. This was a motivational read as well a reminder of how long-term this game really can be.

But for your health's sake, get a gym membership. Maybe go on another vacation.

davidross
05-31-2005, 12:59 PM
The Gym is excellent advice, I'm a member of my local YMCA, and I started going every day in February after the cruise. I mnanaged to shed 15 pounds which is the only losing I'm proud of during the bad run.

I hope my next vactaion will be Vegas for the WSOP.

dogmeat
05-31-2005, 01:05 PM
David, thanks for the post. I think this is a good "wake up" post for many players who think they will never sustain an extended losing streak. Unfortunately, as you know, it is inevitable. I've seen a number of B&M players play great for months, hit a down streak, and bust out completely - never to be seen or heard of again. Good for you for taking a real look at your play, moving down, and getting some coaching.

I had a 30K break even streak thatI know that was extended by poor play, so I know how that goes......but the excellent players (like yourself) are introspective enough to hang on through the bad times and give themselves a chance to regain their "A" game while maintaining some semblance of a bankroll.

Best,

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

trentcroad
05-31-2005, 01:12 PM
This was an excellent post as always.
It was really interesting to hear u talk about having your "A" game going.
Great post!

benfranklin
05-31-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By this time I was making sure to take time off when I could. For the first time ever I was feeling it physically. I kept very strange hours, usually playing until 3 or 4 in the morning, then getting up to make breakfast and pack lunches for my kids before going back to bed. The end result though was I could go weeks without sleeping more than 4 hours at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have worked a lot of night shifts in my time, and know the value of uninterrupted sleep. If you (or anyone) need to play the hours you describe, I'd suggest that you think of yourself as working on the nightshift. If you are playing until 3 or 4am, spend the next few hours relaxing, reading, watching a movie, doing personal business, etc. Get the family up and off to work or school, and then go to bed for a full "night's" sleep.

DMBFan23
05-31-2005, 01:26 PM
glad to hear a happy ending came from all of that. best of luck, I'm also glad you won't be at my 5/10 6max tables.

BottlesOf
05-31-2005, 01:42 PM
Good luck David. It seems like only yesterday I was reading the year 1 summary /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Messy Harry
05-31-2005, 02:03 PM
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences. I appreciate reading about them.

Moonsugar
05-31-2005, 02:29 PM
Keep up the good fight.

You are the original.

MicroBob
05-31-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your story continues to interest me David - thanks for the update.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

I also can't believe it's been two years since you started this. Seems like only yesterday I was reading week 15 or so of your journal as a virtual newbie on these forums.

You were very much part of the inspiration for me to give this whole 'online-poker-pro' thing a try.

I recently had my 1-year anniversary although I have been a bit lazier and less profitable overall than you and have not had quite as many crazy swings.

A couple of other observations:
1 - Partly an observation made during your downswing...but we are finding out more about it now:

When people tell you that you aren't looking well then you need to STOP and take care of yourself.
Not later. Not after you're done playing for the evening. But right-away!!
I know that you know this....but you also kept on playing during some of these stretches.
Take care of yourself first and promise yourself you will never let yourself get like that again.

For example, I was in a period of high-stress a few days ago and knew that I would be lousy if I tried to play. So I simply didn't play for the most part.
When I was playing, if I felt the stress was getting to me I got out of there.

When it gets to the point that you're cussing at the computer and your wife has to go to a different room then you HAVE to know that you need to stop.

If you are feeling the swings too much then there's no harm in even playing just 200-300 hands back at 5/10 6-max just to feel more confident.
Sometimes I'll dick-around on the crypto 1/2 and 2/4 6-max tables just for a break if I need one. Hell, I am clearing a bonus over there anyway so might as well.

Anyway - the whole point is that you were probably going through a 6-week stretch of tilt. I imagine a down-swing of that magnitude could probably do that to anybody.

I think your talks with Tommy about always trying to find your A-game were exactly what you needed.

2 - I try not to play when I'm tired. I lose focus and miss things and just play on auto-pilot.
Yes, we all put in a LOT of hours so you're going to be tired for some of those....but I have stopped pushing myself SO much. If I'm tired I'll even take an hour nap or lay down or something. If I am ready to play again after that then I do.
I seem to always play better when I'm alert, awake, well-rested, etc. I am making better reads and observations and make some call-downs that feel a bit wacky but turn out to be the right move.

3 - Exercise is a good idea. Bobby Fischer (and others) would consider physical exercise to be just as important as the actual studying when he was preparing for a world-championship chess match. He would run, swim, play tennis, etc. I too have found that I am able to think more clearly and deeply...and also get better sleep...when I am in better shape.
To this end, I am going to make physical exercise a part of my 'routine' or 'training' heading into the WSOP.
I'm very serious.
When I go out running tonight it will be with the mind-set that it will give my mind the strength and clarity it needs to allow me to play my best.

I believe the recent NYTimes article on Negreneau mentioned that he doesn't drink caffeine or alcohol for the weeks leading up to the WSOP (where he's obviously playing many of the prelims too).
Seems he is of a similar mind-set that he just doesn't want to 'show up and play'. He is taking measures to ensure that his mind can be in it 100%.

3 - Hope you are able to make it to the WSOP. You might not have seen that I won my seat via a Stars double-shootout a couple weeks ago so I will be going. Actually will be staying there for 3 weeks (June 26 - July 16) so we'll see if I make it back home in one piece.

Would be a pleasure to meet you if you are able to make it.

4 - Say hi to the wife for me!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

5 - Continued success to you in your 3rd year of doing this. You have survived the worst of it so it would appear. I do believe congratulations are warranted on that fact alone .
Keep it up. I am not sure if you are truly fully aware of how much of an inspiration you have been to many a 2+2'er.

end suck-up:
good luck David.

mscags
05-31-2005, 03:16 PM
Glad you're doing well again. I hope to someday play 15-30 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SippinSoma
05-31-2005, 03:26 PM
That's good to hear, hope you keep going everyday. Does wonders for the body and mind. I'm a strong believer in poker players living optimal lives outside of poker, to avoid ruts in poker.

Good luck in the future.

tom
05-31-2005, 03:43 PM
best post i have seen in a long time. glad to hear you are back on track.

kt421
05-31-2005, 04:00 PM
Thanks for taking the time to make such an enlightening, informative and entertaining post. Good luck going forward.

hurlyburly
05-31-2005, 04:17 PM
I'm very happy to hear that you're back to your winning ways. Are you getting more sleep now?

Lawrence Ng
05-31-2005, 04:43 PM
I'm surprised to see you haven't tried playing NL Ring games instead.

Lawrence

davidross
05-31-2005, 05:06 PM
No Limit scares the hell out of me. I love playing the tournaments but going broke only cost's me my entry fee.

davidross
05-31-2005, 05:12 PM
Quote "Anyway - the whole point is that you were probably going through a 6-week stretch of tilt. I imagine a down-swing of that magnitude could probably do that to anybody"

I think I had 5 weeks of real tough cards followed by 5 weeks of tilt. I hope I've got it under control.

I agree that the timespent with TOmmy was exactly what I needed.

I am very eager to get to Vegas. Even if I don't win a seat I'll go providing I can bank some travelling funds before then. It would be great to hook up.

The wife says Hi back. For some reason she is still smitten with you, but don't get too excited, her taste in men is clearly warped /images/graemlins/wink.gif

afk
05-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the updates Dave, I really enjoy reading them. I hope you've got your game back where it should be. Good luck to you and your family!

jasonHoldEm
05-31-2005, 05:21 PM
Great post david. Good luck in year 3!

J

Sasnak
05-31-2005, 06:02 PM
Kudos for pulling out of your screeching nose dive! Just a word of advice though to you and others from someone that lost his family after a 16 yr marriage. Make sure you put your bride and kids first on your list at all times.

Money can be replaced. They can't. A sobering thought, eh?

og5
05-31-2005, 06:18 PM
Great post david, glad it's working for you. How many tables do you usually play? Did you play more/less at 5/10 6 max and after being coached by TA?

Scapegote
05-31-2005, 07:03 PM
I don't post here much, but I've been a long time lurker, and the first time I read one of your journal posts I did what most probably did and read the whole thing from start to finish.

I'm supporting myself through college with poker, although it's not a career aspiration, I've been playing for a year and a half now and just hit my first real bad month. I was pretty frustrated with it, and considering walking away from poker. I took a little break and have just started getting back into playing, although that dread has been there every time I play. That feeling that I know I'm gonna lose.

Anyway, your post helped me re-evaluate some things, I'm gonna make sure to get out of the house more and try to refocus on playing my 'A' game as you said. Decisions not results, right?

Anyway, thanks for sharing, good luck in the following year.

Scapegote

wayabvpar
05-31-2005, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I also can't believe it's been two years since you started this. Seems like only yesterday I was reading week 15 or so of your journal as a virtual newbie on these forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same boat. I originally found these forums thanks to a link to one of David's early weekly posts, so I owe him a debt of gratitude just for that!

David, I am glad things got straightened out for you. I always find your updates entertaining and thought-provoking. I think the whole body of work could make an interesting feature in a magazine; with some more material maybe even a book (especially if you can win a big tournament to give the climax some extra star power).

Thanks for the update, and continued good luck and good health.

davidross
05-31-2005, 08:33 PM
I max out at 4 tables, both shorthanded and full, but one thing Tommy got me doing was being more selective with my tables, I'll play 2 or 3 until I find a good one, and when a table breaks I'm not rushing to replace it the way I used to.

Equal
05-31-2005, 09:12 PM
Hey David, Pete here from Vancouver. Thanks a lot for taking the time to write out your experiences, I know I'm not the only one who eagerly reads a davidross post.

I'm glad to hear you are heading back to the penthouse. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BigBaitsim (milo)
05-31-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks so much for sharing both the good and the bad. It sounds like you've stopped blaming external causes and accepted the responsibility for your losing play. Keep this post handy, and if you have another downswing, look for the warning signs of bad play. They are all in there.

As to the responses you got when you posted about your losing streak before, both the old (supportive) posters, AND the new (chops-busting) posters were essentially correct. You are a good player, and you were playing badly.

Glad to hear you are back on track. Remain vigilent.

thetman
05-31-2005, 10:13 PM
Nice to see you back on track. I enjoy your posts immensely. Good luck!

MicroBob
05-31-2005, 10:33 PM
I know David was talking about a book after year 1. Haven't heard much about that since.

I seriously think that David could just take the first 52 weeks of posts as well as his last 2 half-year updates and then throw in some more stuff in-between and have something that is very close to publishable.

"The Life of an Online Poker Pro"

This is hot-stuff and a big fad right now. Heck, even Jon Stewart's Daily-Show did a poker-feature that partly peeked into the life of an online-poker professional.
Take advantage of it while it's the 'in' thing in society.

I remember reading Blackjack Diaries which basically was just a guy who counted-cards for an entire summer (I think...maybe just 40 days) and rambled on about his wins and losses, etc. It wasn't the most exciting book in the world but I enjoyed it kinda/sorta.

David's journal posts have been FAR more interesting than that guy's book. His feelings after winning and losing, his family, the early days when he wasn't sure whether he would do this for very long in the first place, etc etc.

I very strongly encourage David to put this in book form and get it out there.

Interestingly, even though I know where to find all of it on the internet...I would probably purchase it if it was in book form.

Not sure if David and Mason would be interested. But there are other places to go to get a book published.

4thstreetpete
05-31-2005, 11:39 PM
Excellent!

Thank you for taking the time to share. I'm enjoy reading about your updates immensely. Keep up the great work.

adamstewart
05-31-2005, 11:50 PM
Hey,

I just like to echo: thanks for sharing. Your post offers truly unique insight.

If you're going to Vegas, I'll be down there June 26ht-July 1st with my wife. It'd be nice to meet a fellow Canuck like yourself down there /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Best of luck in Year 3.

Adam

ewile
05-31-2005, 11:50 PM
Great post David. You are one corageous guy. That downswing would have killed most people in your situation.
Very insparational!

PukaPlaya
06-01-2005, 12:01 AM
Great post David.

Really helps to put things into perspective for me to hear others ups and downs and what they have done to deal with them.

Thanks!

James282
06-01-2005, 12:14 AM
Hey David - I'd like to echo others thoughts that you were an inspiration for me as well, and I still look fondly on the times where we were both climbing through 5/10 together. I'm incredibly excited that you've decided to stop bitching about bad runs of cards and started DOING something about it. Sounds like you are finally back on your feet and ready to kick ass again. Congrats man.
-James

bernie
06-01-2005, 03:50 AM
Thanks for the update Dave. It's always nice to hear from you on here.

Sounds like you're on your way out of the bad slump.

Here's hoping you have a great rest of the year at the tables.

b

bohemian
06-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Great post David! All the best.

Greetings from Mississauga.

Bohemian

Wynton
06-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Great stuff David. Would you mind mentioning some of the specific suggestions your coach had for getting you to play your "A" game?

I'm assuming getting some sleep was at the top of the list.

xCEO
06-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Great post!!!

Petomane
06-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Terrific post.
4 bad months? Yikes. I hope this has to do with lack of sleep. Ever since I've been playing poker full time, I've never been so rested. I'm in Vegas, so prime time begins at 3-4pm. I think the West Coasters have an advantage.
Now your excellent post is giving me nightmares, but honestly I think it's the lack of sleep plus an influx of pros.
The good thing about your post is that you admit to being passive, yet you've made $200,000 in 2 years. Like Ed Miller pointed out, you don't have to be that good to make good money online.
I remember your post about being down 500BB in 9 days back in January - I would've dropped down a level immediately. Dropping levels is a safety valve.
You say you play tournaments, but you don't play NL for cash. Why is that?
The reason I play limit is Ed Miller. If a book existed on NL as good as SSHE, I might be tempted.
Coaching is an excellent idea.
I hope all your posts turn into a book - you really are an excellent writer.
Best of luck to you.

zuluking
06-01-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because of a great run I found myself on a Wednesday night with over $30K in my account and I decided to take out $20K. I didn’t know it then but I wouldn’t make another withdrawal from Empire for 4 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cash-out curse. So obvious, I'm suprised a pro like you missed that. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

veeebo
06-01-2005, 07:27 PM
I like the persistance David, keep it up and good luck with becoming more aggressive. I need to learn to become more passive myself lol.

Kevroc
06-01-2005, 08:09 PM
I enjoyed reading your post David, as I did the others before it. I recently started a thread about having a losing month or thirty+ day stretch of losing. This was the kind of thing I was looking for in replies.

It gives me the confidence to return to the tables with my "A" game in tow. Keep grindin' em David!

P.S. There is something to be said about that cashout curse, especially if you are weak-tight. You already have the passivity ingrained in your soul, the shorter bankroll-scared money aspect can compound that.

davidross
06-01-2005, 10:01 PM
I actually get enough sleep, it's just split into small amounts several times a day. I'm working out a deal with my wife to get her to make breakfast once or twice a week so I can sleep in.

In my case there are lots of little things, taking more breaks, not automatically jumping into a 4th game when a table folds, cutting down on tournaments, setting a quitting time and sticking with it even when I'm stuck.

davidross
06-01-2005, 10:04 PM
THe sleep thing is only an issue because I'm trying to balance family life with playing the peak hours. Unfortunately my best results have been midnight to 3:00AM my time so I hate to give that up. I could try to work regular business hours but the games just aren't as good or plentiful.

I regard myself as passive compared to a lot of the posters here, but not compared to the regular players.

davidross
06-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Believe me, it's the first thing I thought of, I'm never doing it again.

archmagi
06-02-2005, 06:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was actually making money faster than my wife could spend it

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, you're a lucky man!!! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

even though i didn't follow the forum for a long time, i remember when you started this. increadible that it's been 2 years.
i wish you continued success.
it's always good to read your updates.

tealk
06-02-2005, 02:49 PM
I am a new forum joiner...but def not a new player. I just wanted to say thanks for this thread made me think about a lot of things. And I'm glad your on the right track now.

fyodor
06-02-2005, 03:11 PM
The slide is over? Man, I was really looking forward to coming over there and beating you with a ruler. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Congrats on getting it back together.

davidross
06-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Too soon to say if it's over or not, but I'min a better place /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Silybum
06-03-2005, 01:26 PM
WHATS UP WITH THE BOOK YOU WERE CONSIDERING WRITING?

davidross
06-03-2005, 03:34 PM
I have so many rough drafts lying around I could probably make 3 books, but I'm not really happy with any of it /images/graemlins/frown.gif

beerbandit
06-03-2005, 03:54 PM
good post david, glad all is getting better

what do you think was the key mistake if any during the downswing

good luck in the future

cheers

fireman664
06-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Hey David...

I have been here a long time (well 2 years anyway), and I just want to tell you that I used to thuroughly enjoyed your weekly posts. It was nice to see the honesty, in everything from balancing family life, to the joys of winning and the mentaly anquish of running bad. I know I went back and reread your old posts when you went on the huge downswing when I didn the same. It helped me tremendously. Just wanted to let you know that if your posts have helped me so much, I am sure they have helped many others.

Good luck, and thanks for the update.

fireman

davidross
06-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Thats not easy to say, but in my opinion I ran real bad for 5 or 6 weeks, and got very passive post-flop because of it. I really don't think there was much I could do about that first slump, but then I played breeak even poker for 5 or 6 more weeks when I should have been winning, and that I believe was because of the passive play.

freckles711
06-06-2005, 05:12 AM
Just another kudo from a "you don't know me, but..." guy who has followed your career 4 the past couple of years with great interest. One of the earlier posters suggested that you might want to write a book. Let me just say, you have a real talent for writing as well your poker skills. Your post are a joy to read. Glad you survived your bad run, best of luck 2 you...