PDA

View Full Version : My new setup

ckboddic
05-31-2005, 10:48 AM
I posted this in the software section but don't seem to be getting much feedback...thought I might as well post here since I know I'll be playing a lot of one table Pacific tournaments. I'd like to hear what you think of the computer I just bought (strictly for poker) and if there is anything I can do to improve it (by adding more RAM or something....don't know too much about laptops). A few questions:
1. How many tables should I be able to play at the same time?
2. Will I be able to multitable and run software like Poker Tracker or GT at the same time?
3. Will I be able to run Party Poker and Pacific at the same time?
4. Is there anything I can do to improve the Internet connection (better modem or wireless or something?)
5. What else can I do to improve this computer?
I'd like to hear what y'all have to say about the computer.
Here's the link...it's a Dell Dimension 8200:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42201&item=6771753 469&rd=1

xLukex
05-31-2005, 10:55 AM
Bigger/faster hard drive.

Scuba Chuck
05-31-2005, 11:14 AM
post this in the zoo (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=inet). You'll get the responses you're looking for there.

Phoenix1010
05-31-2005, 11:18 AM
The Internet forum under General Gambling (the Zoo) will probably help you out with this. Also, I automatically ignore everyone who uses the spade icon in their titles, but you don't have many posts so it's ok.

-Phoenix

jgunnip
05-31-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I automatically ignore everyone who uses the spade icon in their titles

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, I usually do too! damn unnecessary attention getters. /images/graemlins/spade.gif

sahala
05-31-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1. How many tables should I be able to play at the same time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Limited by software and site policy, not hardware. A bigger monitor, or additional monitors helps nicely.

[ QUOTE ]

3. Will I be able to run Party Poker and Pacific at the same time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]

4. Is there anything I can do to improve the Internet connection (better modem or wireless or something?)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're really concerned about it, call up your ISP and ask them if they offer a pipe with guaranteed reliability, although the extra expense probably isn't worth it. I'm on Speakeasy DSL, which is reliable as is but if the connection dies mid tournament I can always switch to dial-up (included). If this happens I'm still pretty pissy though.

Since you're going with a laptop, definitely get wireless set up. It will let you adjust to a more comfortable environment (ie. a couch or sitting on a patio). Wireless also helps with bathroom and kitchen runs while still keeping an eye on the hand.

[ QUOTE ]

5. What else can I do to improve this computer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks good, although honestly I'd like to see an argument for why computer specs on a dedicated poker computer make that much of a difference in ROI in STTs. I'd say poker related software takes up about 1% of active computing/networking resources, even taking into account massive PokerTracker imports.

ckboddic
05-31-2005, 04:17 PM
Thanks everybody. Haha, I'll be careful with the spades. Sahala, how can I set up wireless on this computer? What specifically do I need to buy that will be compatible with this dell...another modem?? I'll be using the computer in the library and my dorm...both have pretty decent connections.