PDA

View Full Version : Busting out of a 20 buy-in downswing!

kevstreet
05-31-2005, 09:54 AM
All the cliche advice from 2+2 to manage your way out of a 20+ buy-in downswing worked perfectly.

1.) I took a 2 day break! After playing every day for 6 months straight I stayed away for a couple of days. Although the tables were calling me, I forced myself to do something else. This worked, the "tilt" was purged from my system and I came back refreshed and wanting to play properly again.

2.) Dropped down the number of tables I play. Although I only play 3 at a time, I dropped down to 2. Dropping one table is a big difference for me. It is slow, almost boring at first but it's my comfort zone and it helped me to make better decisions during bubble play and heads up.

3.) Dropped down levels. I normally play 20s and 30s but I slid down to only the 10s and 20s. It is definitely a grind, finishing in 3rd on a 10 is like kissing your sister.

Of course this advice didn't stave off the bad beats that are inevitable and the missed coin flip situations but it cleared my head and I was able to grind it out this weekend and get back the buy-ins I was down.

Thanks for everyone's help, the guidance really helped.

Jman28
05-31-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
finishing in 3rd on a 10 is like kissing your sister.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not even sure what that means, but I love it.

AbelM
05-31-2005, 10:47 AM
Wow if you can actually do this you have a discipline!

At least more than me...

jcm4ccc
05-31-2005, 10:54 AM
#1 characteristic of a winning poker player: discipline.

Congratulations on working your way out of your slump without going on tilt.

DeathbySuckout
05-31-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
finishing in 3rd on a 10 is like kissing your sister.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true. Especially if this is the best you can do for every 2 or 3 SnGs. I was always proud about controlling my tilt, until I hit this latest downswing. I catch myself saying "fuckit - push" more now, and it sucks. I had to drop back to the 10s, and yeah the best word for it is GRIND. But, I know most of it is not me, and this will be over soon(I hope), so that keeps me going.
But congrats on getting over you downswing, I know it's a great feeling.