PDA

View Full Version : I am coming to California, tell me where to go

PokerBob
05-31-2005, 09:37 AM
A friend of mine needs to be in LA on a business thing over the 4th of July week, so I have a free hotel room. I want to get out there and play in some of the rooms in LA. Where should I go? Where are the games good? Should I rent a car, or take a cab everywhere (the only place I'd be going is the card room and the hotel).

jason_t
05-31-2005, 09:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A friend of mine needs to be in LA on a business thing over the 4th of July week, so I have a free hotel room. I want to get out there and play in some of the rooms in LA. Where should I go? Where are the games good? Should I rent a car, or take a cab everywhere (the only place I'd be going is the card room and the hotel).

[/ QUOTE ]

Commerce. I have experience in the 3/6, 4/8 and 6/12 there and they are great. I've watched the 9/18 and it looks really good. Rent a car. When I visited LA before moving here, I rented some Nissan from Fox near the airport for $15 a day. Gas ie expensive, but depending upon how far your hotel is from the Commerce, I'm pretty sure that car + gas will be cheaper than a cab.

sternroolz
05-31-2005, 10:36 AM
The above information by Jason T is spot on.

Where is your hotel, and how many days will you be staying?

DeuceKicker
05-31-2005, 12:31 PM
Your two best bets are Commerce and The Bicycle Club.

Commerce seems to feature more LAGs and borderline maniacs. In exchange, you have to put up with a guaranteed deck change every hour on the hour, more abuse, table hopping and seat changing that becomes comical, and of course, higher variance.

The Bike is only a few miles away from Commerce but seems to be a more laid back place. In general I think the players are a little more passive. The food is also better.

If you're not pressed for time, I don't think there's an excuse for not checking out both places.

I've never played at Hollywook Park, but they're right near the airport, if that's where you'll be staying.

And, yes, you will need to rent a car. Here, even the homeless people drive to their designated street corners to panhandle.

rmarotti
05-31-2005, 03:10 PM
Commerce

shant
05-31-2005, 03:57 PM
You have to rent a car. Once you get here you'll realize why. Also, like everyone else has said, Commerce.

belloc
05-31-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Commerce. I've watched the 9/18...

[/ QUOTE ]The above information by Jason T is spot on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I can confirm that this information is spot on: I've watched him watch the 9/18.

Mason Hellmuth
05-31-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am coming to California, tell me where to go

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif It's like some weird-ass quiz where you revealed the answer first.

SossMan
05-31-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am coming to California, tell me where to go

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif It's like some weird-ass quiz where you revealed the answer first.

[/ QUOTE ]

as long as were hijaking this thread for Mitch quotes:

When ever I go to shave, I assume someone else in the world is shaving at the same time. So I always say, "hey, I'm going to go shave, too".