PDA

View Full Version : Starting in MTTs - advice for a STTer.

hummusx
05-31-2005, 09:17 AM
I normally play STTs at Party, but I'm interested in playing some MTTs. I've played the occasional MTT, but never been very serious about it. I'm still looking to mostly play them as a distraction from grinding out STTs, but I'd like to approach them a little more seriously. So, my two questions are:

1) What tournaments would be the best for me to start playing? Seems like there are a lot of options here.

2) Any specific things I'll want to be sure to NOT bring over from my normal STT game? Or something that I for sure will want to add to standard STT strategy?

mlagoo
05-31-2005, 09:26 AM
Just wanted to ask for clarification for Question 1 -- What is your bankroll like? This will decide in large part what sort of tournaments you should be playing. Unless I"m misunderstanding your question.

dmk
05-31-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I normally play STTs at Party, but I'm interested in playing some MTTs. I've played the occasional MTT, but never been very serious about it. I'm still looking to mostly play them as a distraction from grinding out STTs, but I'd like to approach them a little more seriously. So, my two questions are:

1) What tournaments would be the best for me to start playing? Seems like there are a lot of options here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends on your bankroll. Do you already have a site you primarily played SNGs on?
[ QUOTE ]

2) Any specific things I'll want to be sure to NOT bring over from my normal STT game? Or something that I for sure will want to add to standard STT strategy?

[/ QUOTE ]
From what I recall about STT strategy, the norm is to be v tight in the early rounds. The opposite is true in MTTs. Early on, its not bad to see some flops early w/ marginal hands that are looking to stack someone. This post was just bumped, so I'll send you the link to it. There are a lot of good ideas/thoughts in it - strassa is an excellent STT/MTT player.
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1987834&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

hummusx
05-31-2005, 12:37 PM
Well, right now the only site that I really maintain a bankroll on is Party. I've got accounts on Prima and Pokerstars, too. I'd still like to keep things on the conservative side until I feel like I'm in the groove, but general range would be BR > $2000.

Thanks for that link to Strassa's post, I'd already read it before I posted. I've read a lot of his stuff on the STT forum, so I'm pretty aware of his level of play. Good stuff.

I mostly play on Party.

IHateKeithSmart
05-31-2005, 01:17 PM
Hey hummus:

We are in the same boat. I play the $55's at party with MTTs for distraction (I mostly hang out on this forum). In my experience, MTTs call for much more creativity (as strassa's post mentions). STTs are much more formulaic and 'masterable' (word?).

I had some problems when I started playing more multis (have played around 75 in the past 3 months, which is low for this forum). Much too tight early on, shortstacked way before the bubble.

That being said, a good ramp-up for larger MTTs are the SNG MTTs on Party, Stars, etc. They don't last too long (1.5 hrs) and start with 18-45 people. You can get a feel for early, mid, and late stage MTT play (playing against and with big stacks, stealing, etc.). You can do all sorts of experimentation with playing more hands, ep/mp stealing, etc (for low $).

Moonsugar
05-31-2005, 03:29 PM
They are extremely similar in that you are almost always playing with a small stack. With a small stack you should play tight. Since theory says you should play tight & people want to make the money there are great opportunities to steal blinds at the bubble.

Some differences are 1) usually more opportunities for resteal in MTT, 2) you have to steal at a full table, not a table of 4 or 5.

If you know how to use a big stack in STT you will do very well in the MTT. Also, once you make the final table you will be better prepared for the situations that arise than most others, so you should place higher. STT are great practice for MTT final tables.

billyb
05-31-2005, 04:13 PM
Bodog has some great Tourneys with some decent overlays.

peace
billyb
34 more days till vegas baby

hummusx
05-31-2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the tips.

Anyone have some specific suggestions for decent tournaments to start out on?

Pat Southern
05-31-2005, 05:45 PM
If you only have money on party, it doesn't really matter what one you play, avoid the rebuys on party, the rake on rebuys and addons is ridiculous. My favorite tournament is the stars rebuy at 7:15 PST, its a great tournament to gain experience, guarantees you over an hour of play and there's always really nice paydays if you make it. Also look around on other sites for some overlays, there won't be any on party or stars, but look around at the smaller sites.