PDA

View Full Version : game selection in B&M rooms

Poker blog
12-20-2002, 12:22 PM
How exactly does one do game selection in bricks and mortar card rooms?

Can you generally tell the floorman to put you on the list for another game, and then leave your current game when it is your turn to post the big blind?

Is it kosher to ask the floorman -- before you start playing -- who the regulars are that should be avoided? Can you ask them about how many people are staying for the flop?

I'm planning on going to the Taj in Atlantic City tomorrow (Saturday), so I'm interested. It'll be my first time in a B&M cardroom. I imagine that on a Saturday right before Christmas, it'll be tourist-heavy.

For the Taj specifically, anyone know how many and what types of games they are likely to be spreading? What times are tourists particularly prevalent?

Thanks.

STOSH1
12-20-2002, 04:00 PM
The Taj has games spread from 2-4 to 10-20, 20-40 and all inbetween. Some much higher stake games at times. The weekends are always tourist heavy (not sure about Christmas weekend).
Playing 2-4 or 3-6 you can expect from 5-7 callers on any hand, usually for no raise, (unless you raise it /forums/images/icons/wink.gif ).
Players sit and leave often enough (especially tourists) that the texture of the game is constantly changing. You have to change your game dependant on who's sitting at the time. Easiest way to tell the regulars is see who looks at you instead of the cards when the flop comes down.

Jeffage
12-20-2002, 05:59 PM
Low limit games at Taj are generally soft on weekends. 2-4 and 3-6 are very loose passive in general. 5-10 is more aggressive, and while games are usually good...the players are much tougher than 3-6 in general with much more raising. That said, you can also find many 5-10 and 10-20 games that are quite passive. If your game sucks, ask a floorman to put you on the transfer list...this way when a seat opens at another table of your limit, you get first dibs on it if you want it. If you are only playing up to 3-6, you will be in a good game, almost guaranteed. BTW, get a players card when you get there...you will get 1 buck an hr for 3-6 and 5-10 to be used on food at the restaurants--50 cents for 2-4 and $2 for 10-20 and up (be sure to hand it to the floorman when you sit down and "clock out" at the podium in the back of the room when you quit the game). Good luck and see ya at the tables someday =).

Jeff
Feel free to email me or message me with questions...

Ed Miller
12-20-2002, 08:04 PM
Yes.. you ask to be put on the transfer list. As for deciding which game is good... you are gonna have to do the leg work yourself, as even if you do get well-intentioned straight advice from the floorman... most likely he is not going to know a good game or good players if they kicked him in the teeth.