PDA

View Full Version : AQo in the BB

CaptainCrunch
05-31-2005, 05:45 AM
Reviewing my hands, pinning down my errors.

Villain is new to the table, 3 hands.. he hadn't played one yet.

Paradise Poker 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Shoulda 3bet here, right?

Turn: (4.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Bet this out, instead?

Final Pot: 8.25 BB

Kumubou
05-31-2005, 05:53 AM
3-bet pre-flop -- for value, to take control of the hand, and to see how much he likes his hand.

3 bet the flop, please. You have TPTK on a board that is not all that scary. This would be easier to do if you had three bet pre-flop, as you would have a narrower range of hands on your opponent.

If you are confident that villan will bet the river, checkraise it. If you are not, bet out. You lose to a set, 89 and KJ; you are good the vast majority of the time here and should be trying to get as many bets into the pot as you possibly can.

-K

therockofgibraltar
05-31-2005, 05:56 AM
You should definitely 3-bet the flop with top pair in HU. I fhe calls I would bet again in turn. If he caps, I probably check-call the turn

@bsolute_luck
05-31-2005, 06:18 AM
no reads, i'd play it the same.

i tend to give credit until i see otherwise. a raise UTG and HU, i'm not 3-betting preflop. i might 3-bet the flop, but mostly he's already said he can beat your pair of queens.

on the river, the only preflop EP raising hands you beat are JJ,TT, AJ, AK (don't think by flop play, he has those) and KK. while you lose to AA,QQ, and split with AQ.

so i think i'd bet out the river and call a raise, but i don't think a c/r would be wise.

aK13
05-31-2005, 06:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i might 3-bet the flop, but mostly he's already said he can beat your pair of queens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually disagree with this. I see an aggressive UTG raising with AKo in this spot as well, or even a hand we have dominated like KQo. I'd probably check/raise this flop, call down if 3bet.

I'm also thinking about whether we should be raising that river...

Webster
05-31-2005, 07:07 AM
I would have check raised the flop! That puts you in control and then you are betting 1st. Make HIM decide if he was to be passive

Grinders Warehouse BLOG Edition (http://www.grinderswarehouse.com)

@bsolute_luck
05-31-2005, 07:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i might 3-bet the flop, but mostly he's already said he can beat your pair of queens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually disagree with this. I see an aggressive UTG raising with AKo in this spot as well, or even a hand we have dominated like KQo. I'd probably check/raise this flop, call down if 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think i like the c/r line better than betting out as if 3-bet, I think it gives us a better idea of whether it is UI overcards or not. either case, we're still not 3-betting, which i think is my point.

aron
05-31-2005, 08:50 AM
When he raises the flop I would fall back on some hybrid of the WA/WB line here.
Call his flop raise.
Unimproved I check call the turn.
When I make a'two-pair on the river I either check-raise or bet out.
Guess betting out is more correct since the ace may make him check through.

If the river was a blank I bet still bet out and fold to a raise.

-aron

Jaran
05-31-2005, 12:23 PM
Grunching.

Yeah, 3bet the flop. Hand is different after that.

-Jaran

Sarge85
05-31-2005, 12:30 PM
Smooth call is fine from BB w/ AQo against an early PF raiser. Some are saying three bet, which I don't like from the BB - being in the BB with a good hand affords some possiblities -

Such as CR'ing this flop. Definately 3 bet the flop

Lead the turn -

3 bet the river.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Bodhi
05-31-2005, 01:09 PM
3 bet the flop and the hand plays differently.

Either bet or check-raise the river.

Bodhi
05-31-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i tend to give credit until i see otherwise. a raise UTG and HU, i'm not 3-betting preflop. i might 3-bet the flop, but mostly he's already said he can beat your pair of queens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah? And maybe he's full of it. You are fearing monsters under the bed.

Bodhi
05-31-2005, 01:14 PM
How does check-raising give us more information? An aggressive player might 3-bet anyway with AK, AQ, KQ, KK, or...

Of course we're going to 3-bet the flop. Shoot, I would cap it if given the chance. I really don't like your advice on this hand.

marchron
05-31-2005, 01:49 PM
<font color="red">WARNING</font>: 2+2 newbie here. If I'm wrong, be gentle; if I'm right, it was an accident, I swear.

Either 3-bet pre-flop and lead out on the flop (showing aggression) or call pre-flop and check-raise the flop (playing possum a little). If he reraises you, then you might slow down.

Bet the turn. He may already have a straight, but you don't want him to get a free card if he holds A/images/graemlins/heart.gif/K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.

You could have bet the river, but considering his aggressiveness a check-raise might have been in order. With top two, the only hands that beat you are 8/9, K/J, or sets.

Bodhi
05-31-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn. He may already have a straight, but you don't want him to get a free card if he holds A/K.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, the villain does not have 98.

CaptainCrunch
05-31-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the input guys. I'm taking notes here!

Just to clarify, those that reccomended the 3bet pf, that was because:
1) I'm in the BB, so its effectively only 2 bets to me
2) You generally want to not be pushed off the blind?
3) Agression rules Poker.
4) something I'm missing?

BTW, he had KJo, and subsequent PT reads gave him the little cash bag icon ^_^ I noted him down for future reference.

davelin
05-31-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the input guys. I'm taking notes here!

Just to clarify, those that reccomended the 3bet pf, that was because:
1) I'm in the BB, so its effectively only 2 bets to me
2) You generally want to not be pushed off the blind?
3) Agression rules Poker.
4) something I'm missing?

BTW, he had KJo, and subsequent PT reads gave him the little cash bag icon ^_^ I noted him down for future reference.

[/ QUOTE ]

3-bet the flop, not pre-flop.

Buckmulligan
05-31-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know... We have villain drawing to 5 outs if we are ahead and I want him to bet hands like AJ, AT, KJ, 99, 88 on the turn. I think I call the flop and consider raising the turn or the river.

davelin
05-31-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know... We have villain drawing to 5 outs if we are ahead and I want him to bet hands like AJ, AT, KJ, 99, 88 on the turn. I think I call the flop and consider raising the turn or the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true although I'm kicking something if it gets checked through. I was more commenting that the advice the OP was getting was to 3-bet the flop, not 3-bet pre-flop that he understood it as.

Buckmulligan
05-31-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's true although I'm kicking something if it gets checked through. I was more commenting that the advice the OP was getting was to 3-bet the flop, not 3-bet pre-flop that he understood it as.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I'm not sure anymore about c/raising the turn... 3 betting might be the best option because I don't like an SNG. I think it's close between 3 betting and doing a call/call/bet.

CaptainCrunch
05-31-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was more commenting that the advice the OP was getting was to 3-bet the flop, not 3-bet pre-flop that he understood it as.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah... er, Ok, I'd somehow gotten a 3 bet pf vibe. Right. Next time, 3 bet the flop. then check/call, bet out the river. Assuming a similar situation.

Weatherhead03
05-31-2005, 06:58 PM
I agree with the raise on the river. I figure hes got the best hand here a fair amount of time.

Bodhi
05-31-2005, 08:37 PM
He had KJo? You have got to be kidding me. He may have TAG stats, but he played it like an utter fool.

CaptainCrunch
05-31-2005, 09:11 PM
Oh, no, he doesn't have TAG stats, I've remapped that icon to the crazy loose players. step above the calling stations in terms of chip spew. Works better for me when I glance over to make a decision.

But yeah, fool. Shoulda read the crap from him after as he lorded over me for my "folly" for even stepping up to play him.... (insert eyeroll here)