PDA

View Full Version : how long till you became profitable? any tips?

chipstacks
05-31-2005, 02:12 AM
How long after learning major concepts did it take and how much cash lost before you became a profitable player?

So I just recently began learning the crucial concepts to low-limit PL holdem. Playing position, top ten hands, player personalities, when multiway is good and when it's not, and pot odds. I know about slow playing and trying to narrow the field, however I'm still a little hazy on when to raise or just call. I'm reading Small Stakes Hold Em right now and just trying to soak everything in.

Anyway the first week I began learning these concepts things went very well, I instantly became profitable/break even. However the more I've been learning lately, the more I'm losing. I feel like im playing too cerebrally and cautious, I'm getting what seems like an unusual amount of bad beats, a bare minimum of playable hands and am generally fearful of jackals because I'm buying too much into the concept of 'a bet saved is a bet earned'.

My recent play are losses of about $100 for 2 weeks of semi-regular play, this leads me to believe its more than just my share of bad luck.

I'd really like to hear how all of you progressed once you started learning proper playing techniques, and what concepts you think I am still lacking. Any tips are appreciated. I'm playing .50/1 pl on party poker btw.

(whoops think i hit the wrong forum area, im gonna copy this over to beginners questions, but ill keep checking this one too)

balkii
05-31-2005, 02:17 AM
i became a winning online player the first day i got WLLH

blaze666
05-31-2005, 02:22 AM
the first day i lost three deposits, then the second day i made them all back, and iv'e been steadily climbing from there. the most valuable book was the one that tought me about the basic tight aggressive play, and post flop play. i haven't got any 2+2 books yet, im getting them in july.

BusterStacks
05-31-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto.

rmarotti
05-31-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto.

[/ QUOTE ]

x2

silkyslim
05-31-2005, 05:02 AM
WLLH? whats that?

Sykes
05-31-2005, 05:11 AM
Winning low-limit hold-em.

Profitable how? Winning at low limits? Because I was winning at party 0.5/1 game just by being weak-tight and following the basics (play every pocket pair/two high cards(yes this meant K9, and raise the really good hands (AK/AQ/AA/KK/QQ/JJ/TT))

This was before I knew about twoplustwo. And was still beating the game.

chipstacks
05-31-2005, 05:54 AM
Sykes: yeah winning at low limits .5/1 games like youve mentioned. The first day I got familiar with the concepts you mentioned I won $30 bucks in a few hours. I was playing tight/aggressive style and not really overthinking, but watching other players closely and getting a surprisingly accurate feel for what they had. The next week involved me going back and forth between $30 up and $30 down.

Then I hit a few really bad beats consecutively and started playing overcautiosly because my bankroll was almost gone. After reupping I cant seem to find that groove again and am losing more than winning. Now I feel like that first week of success was just bs luck.

Anyway I'm gonna get WLLH and see where that goes from there. Do you guys recommend reading it a few times through with no play? Or going back and forth between reading and playing?

GoblinMason (Craig)
05-31-2005, 06:17 AM
Silky you've already read SSH and understand it; WLLH was the old standard before SSH came out, no need to have your mind corrupted with it's weak tight ways when you're already a tag. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Craig

cookie
05-31-2005, 06:30 AM
Won money from day one aka stars 0,02/0,04 $ fixed