PDA

View Full Version : Online Limit vs. NL

Origami
05-31-2005, 12:29 AM
Been thinking alot about which is better suited for online play: Limit or NL?

My feeling is that online play is better suited for limit because of the "read" dependency in NL. Isn't it harder to get reads on your opponents if you can't see them?

Also, I wouldn't think you could multi-table as much in NL because the more tables, the less you can focus on your opponents. I think with limit you can multi-table to the max without sacrificing too much.

Would like to hear other's thoughts on this!

lehighguy
05-31-2005, 01:28 AM
I've played both. NL is much better. Your opponets mistakes are absolutely huge.

Origami
05-31-2005, 03:27 PM
bump

jman220
05-31-2005, 03:35 PM
I also play both, my win rates for the two end up being comparable for the limits they are, but the variance in no limit seems to be less, I have far fewer losing sessions in no limit than I do in limit. I think I'm leaning towards going exclusively no limit myself, although I am going to miss the large amounts i get from limit rakeback.

bdk3clash
05-31-2005, 04:24 PM
I think there's a lot more upward mobility online in limit games than in no-limit games in terms of your potential earnings.

From what I can tell there seem to be plenty of good limit games at levels even up to $30/60. I can't really speak to games higher than that as I don't know much about them. (Not that I've even played $30/60.)

There seem to be less no limit games above, say, the $2-4 level, and once you reach the bigger games there are a fair amount of good to really good players.

Also, the ability to multitable limit games much more effectively than no-limit games makes sticking to limit games online more attractive.

Keep in mind I play limit exclusively and am absolutely terrible at no-limit, so I might be biased. Nonetheless, I think I'm right, though I usually do, even when I'm wrong.

chadplusplus
05-31-2005, 07:03 PM
Well, after playing NL for about 3 years I decided to try limit. So I played about 15,000 hands of limit. Mostly at .50/1.00 where I am running at 0.94BB/100, but then lost bundles at 1/2 and 2/4 (-5.76BB/100 and -7.50BB/100, respectively). For me, the variance was just too great in limit games - you work hard all week squeeking out small advantages for a BB or two, then have one bad day and its all gone. It drove me crazy.

In NL, you can force people out, with effective bluffing and create winning hands with absolutely nothing. Furthermore, even if you go hours without a good hand, you can make a good hand payoff well when it finally does hit by correct play. In micro limit, the best hand (nearly) always wins and monsters fail to pay well.

NL is like 33/33/33 math/psychology/luck, while microlimit is like 30/5/65 math/psychology/luck.

Microlimits just got frustrating for me - while NL is fun even if I'm losing. Besides my win rate is like 5 times higher in NL than limit.

My vote goes to NL.

istewart
05-31-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
while microlimit is like 30/5/65 math/psychology/luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, really?

chadplusplus
05-31-2005, 07:39 PM
well, like I said, I only played about 15,000 hands of limit, so this was just my initial impression.

I said 30% math because you do need to do the math, 65% luck because you really do need to catch the cards, and 5% psychology because you're simply not bluffing out anyone at the .50/1.00 table (we've all seen it.. the guy calling a cap with 5-10o and sticking around to showdown with a pair of 5s). I guess I'd be willing to go a little higher on psychology because reads are important and occaisionally that 2.5 pf aggression will push people out.

These numbers were just estimates to quantify the differences between the two games IMHO and weren't meant as exact measurements.

og5
05-31-2005, 08:41 PM
I'm a bad NL player too. Its worlds apart from limit, I hate having a strong hand like AA or 2 pair get raised 10x the pot. Kind of the opposite of why people like NL, monster hands do not come often but when they do they pay off (if you're lucky) lesser hands that would be strong in limit are worth much less.

bdk3clash
05-31-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, after playing NL for about 3 years I decided to try limit. So I played about 15,000 hands of limit. Mostly at .50/1.00 where I am running at 0.94BB/100, but then lost bundles at 1/2 and 2/4 (-5.76BB/100 and -7.50BB/100, respectively). For me, the variance was just too great in limit games - you work hard all week squeeking out small advantages for a BB or two, then have one bad day and its all gone. It drove me crazy.

In NL, you can force people out, with effective bluffing and create winning hands with absolutely nothing. Furthermore, even if you go hours without a good hand, you can make a good hand payoff well when it finally does hit by correct play. In micro limit, the best hand (nearly) always wins and monsters fail to pay well.

NL is like 33/33/33 math/psychology/luck, while microlimit is like 30/5/65 math/psychology/luck.

Microlimits just got frustrating for me - while NL is fun even if I'm losing. Besides my win rate is like 5 times higher in NL than limit.

My vote goes to NL.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey, if I sucked at limit I wouldn't play it either.

The_Missile
05-31-2005, 10:14 PM
For beginners to online play, i think limit is the best way to go because it allows you to minimalize the damage from your own mistakes, while still experiencing the full effect and still being able to win a sizeable amount. For more experienced players, no-limit works because it's a lot more exciting and gives the more skilled player an edge.

But in actuality, my opinion is this. If you have "big kahones," and you're willing to flash 'em, then play NL because for people who aren't pros, the main skill involved is knowing when to push and how hard to push.

Somekid
05-31-2005, 10:43 PM
Chad, I think you're right about the psychology aspect in terms of the hands. But the overall psychology of limit fascinates me. Like you said, you don't like the variance of limit. Limit play is all about handling the mental aspects of variance. I'd say limit is all about psychology.

TexArcher
05-31-2005, 11:11 PM
I enjoy both games, but if you're only going to play online, NL is MUCH better to me.

Yes, you can't read players as much as live, but the bottom line is that there are more fish in NL, especially tourneys, thanks to tv...

In limit, you can punish someone who doesn't understand pot odds. In NL, you send him home...

chadplusplus
05-31-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hey, if I sucked at limit I wouldn't play it either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats my position, exactly. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Piers
06-01-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't think you could multi-table as much in NL because the more tables, the less you can focus on your opponents. I think with limit you can multi-table to the max without sacrificing too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Three buttons Vs slider or typing numbers.