PDA

View Full Version : QQ in the BB facing a possible steal

splashpot
05-31-2005, 12:12 AM
Raised the flop to see where I stood. I probably should have raised less, but his min-bet looked very weak. After his re-raise, I'm pretty sure I can safely fold this.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO (t2070)
Button (t1515)
SB (t2985)
Hero (t1470)
UTG (t1400)
MP1 (t2610)
MP2 (t1450)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls t50, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, Button folds, SB calls t300.

Flop: (t850) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t550</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1700

Phoenix1010
05-31-2005, 12:37 AM
Easy fold after all that. With those stacks, I like raising the weak flop bet to represent AK. The pot is so out of control at that point, and the flop bet is so small, that you don't even have to worry about raising a ton. You could have get the same results by raising to 200. When you don't know where you are, try to gotten that info with as little investment as possible.

-Phoenix

bluefeet
05-31-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
try to get that info with as little investment as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

...my thoughts exactly. 200-250 here would have most likely given you the info you were looking for.

IMO your reraise PF was a little off. it's right in that gray area "i have you dominated - fold fool" and "hope he calls...building me a nice pot". i wonder what your intent was. if you had NO plan to give up this hand PF, and would have been satisfied to take it down PF, i think pushing is in order. the T400, psychologically anyway, comes close to committing you to the pot - that when called, brings what could be a pretty scary flop when the A or K hit. i personally would prefer to limp behind SB, looking to trap him on his lead out (assuming the board was safe). problem here is you'd have button along too. i think re-minraising him (or maybe 250-300) would probably chase buttton away (2 raisers)-- reducing your investment PF to the absolute minimum.

how you proceeded post-flop is fine, except again, i think your raise was a little too high.

pergesu
05-31-2005, 01:01 AM
Anyone think about just calling the original t50 bet on the flop?

I'm probably considering that only because of how the hand played out. I'm sure I pop it every time, cause usually it's some underpair takin a stab.

Hopefully someone can talk about the merits of just calling here, seeing how it develops. Kinda sucks because you don't know where you're at at all, may face a big bet on the turn. But it's also not too fun to make a probing raise, and end up with half your stack in the middle. I'd really like someone who knows what they're doing to discuss calling the flop.

Karak567
05-31-2005, 01:05 AM
Your flop raise commits you, either push it, call it or fold it. No cute raises.

I prefer raising more pre-flop, possibly even pushing depending on reads.

I may call/check/fold on the flop/turn, I have plenty of chips to fight another day with.

pergesu
05-31-2005, 01:12 AM
I think the pf reraise is fine. In fact that's the exact amount I would have raised to.

See what you said about the flop raise committing him is what bothers me. I agree that it commits him...but I wouldn't want to be shoving in on that flop either.

It all just seems kinda crummy to me. That's why I'm hoping someone smart sees this and can let us know if calling the flop is any good.

splashpot
05-31-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your flop raise commits you, either push it, call it or fold it. No cute raises.

I prefer raising more pre-flop, possibly even pushing depending on reads.

I may call/check/fold on the flop/turn, I have plenty of chips to fight another day with.

[/ QUOTE ]
How does my flop raise commit me? I still have 700 chips and the BB is still only 50. I have plenty time left to make a move.

The problem with calling is that I have no idea where I stand. It smelled very much like a J hoping I didn't have an Ace. I can't fold to a min-bet here. If I could do it again, I think I would raise to 200 and fold to the re-raise.

NYCNative
05-31-2005, 01:29 AM
I wonder if villain was trying to steal with a weak Ace and it happened to be A3. Wouldn't surprise me.

mike28
05-31-2005, 02:51 AM
I think the SB has played this hand very well. You're preflop action screams big pair. SB bets retardedly small knowing that you're going to go to "50, more like FIVE HOUNDRED", he pops a rearaise and then you're left wondering what the hell is going on.

I don't like folding with half my stack dead in the pot but I can't see you being ahead here.