PDA

View Full Version : Movie Review: The Two Towers

Clarkmeister
12-20-2002, 12:08 AM
I thought this movie was generally very well done. It flowed from storyline to storyline seamlessly. I didn't even mind the changes to the storyline relative to the novel, though I think some of the changes weren't needed. Two things stand out in my mind for this movie:

1. Smeagol/Gollum. This character could have been a disaster, as the Frodo/Sam trudging through the wilderness is interminable in the books. I had big fears about how Gollum would be portrayed on the big screen. This character was incredibly handled, truly the highlight of the movie. I cannot express just how well done Gollum was. Superb!

2. Helms Deep. Lots of issues with this. How on earth did the elves get there in time? Also, the movie makes it look so bleak that one is hard pressed to imagine the good guys coming back and winning the battle. Even after Gandalf shows up with the exlied Rohanin and storms the battlefield, it is difficult for me to imagine how they could have turned the tide of the battle. And sadly, they DON'T SHOW US!!!! One moment its hopeless, the next moment the reinforcements arrive, but we are never shown the actual tide of battle turning, let alone the Alliance victory. It left me feeling cheated. I had to see them get their asses kicked, but never saw them make the comeback. One moment, its hopeless, the next: Yeah, we won?!?!?!? Really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Overall, better than the Fellowship theatrical release, but not as good as the Extended Edition FoTR DVD release. I am hoping that in the Extended Edition TTT release, the end of Helms Deep gets shown.

3.5 of 4 stars.

Dynasty
12-20-2002, 12:25 AM
I guess I should have called you. I saw Two Towers today as well. You weren't at the 4:00 show at Showcase, were you?

I had little doubt that Gollum was going to steal the show. Ever since reading his first appearance in "The Hobbit", he's been the most intriguing character in the whole Middle Earth saga. I never thought Gollum could be Jarjarized. He's just too damn interesting and important. I was a bit surprised he evoked so much laughter from the audience as he talked to himself.

ronzoni
12-20-2002, 12:31 AM
Would you please review Miko Lee movie?

offTopic
12-20-2002, 02:48 AM
[Potential spoiler info]
Agree the movie was very well done. One thing that kind of bothered me was I don't think they got far enough into the story at the end, timeline-wise vs. the book. I don't know if they're going to have Merry and Pippin serve Theoden and Denethor, but they'll have a long ways to catch up if that is to happen. Also, the whole part with Shelob (obviously going to be a big CGI-fest in The Return of the King) is going to get stuffed in to the beginning of TRotK.

This makes me fear that the third movie is going to appear too crammed together...and I can't wait to find out. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

David Ottosen
12-20-2002, 03:33 AM
I liked it too but I thought they jumped around a bit too often. The healing of the King was my favorite part. Gollum...I don't know, I could have done with a bit less of him I think.

And damn, but can't they make Sam and Frodo just a teeny bit less gay?

baggins
12-21-2002, 05:31 AM
i loved it. start to end.

helm's deep. im pretty sure i saw the victory. im not sure exactly what you were looking for regarding the victory, but i saw what i needed.

gollum was absolutely perfect. sure, people laughed. they also laughed in 'The Royal Tenenbaums'. which is sick, considering the dark gravity of that movie. in any case, i dont think the 'comic' element would have been as apparent if you watched the movie by yourself. i certainly wouldn't have thought to laugh in most spots in the movie.

merry and pippen. yeah, are they gonna serve their respective leaders? i hope so, but it won't take away too much if they dont.

sam and frodo aren't gay. why do 2 male characters that show affection and endearment towards each other automatically have to be gay? homophobia is gay.

cant wait to see shelob.

if it were my decision, there would have been 6 movies. anybody see the millenium set of the books? 7 volumes (6 and one for the appendices). each 'book' (tolkien wrote 1 book. his publisher's forced him to break it up into 3) split into 2. the story could breathe more. also, then i'd release them every 6 months. or 3 months. the year apart would be too much in a 6movie format. but its alright for the way it is now, i suppose.

i loved it. cant say enough good things about it. gimli rules, even if people laughed at him. the stuff they threw in with arwen was great, in my hopeless romantic opinion.

IrishHand
12-21-2002, 09:34 AM
each 'book' ... split into 2. the story could breathe more.
I was unaware that stories contained in larger books (as opposed to broken down to facilitate sales) had trouble breathing.

IrishHand
12-21-2002, 04:23 PM
Just returned from the Two Towers. Phenomenal movie, fully in line with the 1st. As noted above, Gollum was done phenomenally well. I also think they did a moderately better job portraying the length of time that Frodo spends on his quest to get into Mordor. (The first movie sort of made it seem like from Frodo leaving the Shire to leaving the Fellowship took maybe a couple of weeks, when it should have been far longer.)

Overall though, I rate movies based primarily on my viewing pleasure. Watching the Two Towers, I was engrossed and thoroughly satisfied at the end. As with every movie, there may have been a couple things I'd have tweaked, but it doesn't get much better than the first couple of installments of the Lord of the Rings for moviegoing enjoyment in my mind.

4 of 4 stars

baggins
12-23-2002, 04:40 AM
i think you misunderstand my words.

when i say 'breathe' i don't mean anything regarding sales of books or movie tickets.

i mean that if there were 6 movies, the story could be told in its intense and intricate manner without being rushed, without being crammed into 9 total hours of action.

when one is rushed, or crammed into a small space, it is hard to 'breathe' hence my analogy/metaphor.

IrishHand
12-23-2002, 08:58 AM
Sorry - I got the impression you were referring to books only.

Of course, I agree 100% with the movies - they could have broken it into 6, 8 or 12 movies, and I'd have seen each one with the same love and enthusiasm. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif