PDA

View Full Version : Woman finds $3,000 in garage-sale chair??? WTF???

Talk2BigSteve
05-30-2005, 11:22 PM
OMAHA, Nebraska (AP) -- Linda Stafford has been going to garage sales for 30 years, and taking good-natured ribbing from her family all the while.

Now, the tables have turned.

Stafford has found more than $3,000 in bills dating from 1928 to 1953 in the bottom of a high-backed chair she bought at a garage sale -- for two bucks.

"When we found the money, they could probably hear us screaming all over the neighborhood," said Stafford, 57.

She made the discovery while trying to make room in her garage for more furniture. When one of her daughters, Mandy Rath, heard something rattle in the chair, they removed the bottom. Placed inside a compartment were two paper packets, one with $10 in coins, the other with $3,060 in bills.

Stafford remembers what she paid for the chair, but not where she bought it.

"I know that I've had it out in our garage for at least a year, maybe two," she said.

But, Stafford was not sure how she would spend the money.

"Who knows?" she said. "I might spend it all at garage sales."

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

gvibes
05-30-2005, 11:23 PM
My mother bought a pair of jeans from a garage sale with a $100 bill in it. She paid 75 cents.

partygirluk
05-30-2005, 11:24 PM
I think you forgot to mention that you are gay. Please do so.

Blackjack
05-30-2005, 11:24 PM
Classic Case of Reinvesting aka playing till you lose

"I might just spend it all on yard sales."

Geese does she think she's going to find the declaration of independence or the constitution or something crazy like that? Gosh

Blackjack

Blackjack

Inthacup
05-30-2005, 11:29 PM
LOL

Talk2BigSteve
05-30-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you forgot to mention that you are gay. Please do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

SHHHH!!

http://slugtales.com/gay-marriage-scale.gif

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

-Skeme-
05-30-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-EV

JaBlue
05-31-2005, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-EV

[/ QUOTE ]

have you ever been to a garage sale?

PoBoy321
05-31-2005, 01:50 AM
Garage sales are awesome. I have this framed poster that I got at a garage sale a few years ago that looks really good in my room. I know that there's an original Jackson Pollock painting behind it, but I just haven't bothered to get it out.

Blackjack
05-31-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Garage sales are awesome. I have this framed poster that I got at a garage sale a few years ago that looks really good in my room. I know that there's an original Jackson Pollock painting behind it, but I just haven't bothered to get it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you're not very smart as it could be worth thousands of dollars.

Blackjack

PoBoy321
05-31-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Then you're not very smart as it could be worth thousands of dollars.

Blackjack

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but I could just go to another garage sale and pick up a lamp which is actually a Rhodin sculpture that's worth a lot more, so it's really not even worth my time.

-Skeme-
05-31-2005, 06:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
have you ever been to a garage sale?

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this have to do with my comment? Yes, I have.

jakethebake
05-31-2005, 08:57 AM
I had a friend that found $2,000 and a big bag of dope in a car he bought from the police auction.

TStoneMBD
05-31-2005, 09:10 AM
garage sales are crazy. my mother used to go all the time when i was a kid. this one time this guy had 5 adobe photoshop 5.0 cds that were brand new. he was selling them for $3 each! i bought 1 for myself, stupid as i am. i searched ebay for adobe photoshop 5.0 and realized how much these things were worth. i sold my copy there for $500+ dollars.

DAMMIT

boedeker
05-31-2005, 09:25 AM
3000 big ones! [censored] jackpot!

the question is how did this get published by any news source beyond gradma's garage-sale blog?

MelK
05-31-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
3000 big ones! [censored] jackpot!

[/ QUOTE ]

You must assume that bills from 1928 thru 1953 are worth more than face value unless in crappy condition. Then there is the coinage.

boedeker
05-31-2005, 09:36 AM
no i assume that they are worth about the same.

jnalpak
05-31-2005, 10:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
OMAHA, Nebraska

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone else picture a big fat white woman in a moo-moo with bad teef and a walking cane? sooo typical.

...there is never ANYTHING good at these things unless you like junk.

jakethebake
05-31-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
anyone else picture a big fat white woman in a moo-moo with bad teef and a walking cane? sooo typical.

[/ QUOTE ]

...yea. and she's probably one of those people that gets up at like 5:30 on saturday morning so they can get there early. they come knocking on your door at like 6:30 wanting a "preview" before the other whackos get there and you're all sold out of half-used candles, flower vases from 12 years of mother's days, or kids games with half the pieces missing.

boedeker
05-31-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the moo moo will screen-printed with different pieces of sushi, and the lady will also be into "crafting."

jakethebake
05-31-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the moo moo will screen-printed with different pieces of sushi, and the lady will also be into "crafting."

[/ QUOTE ]

...or possibly "scrapbooking". Wtf is that anyway?

boedeker
05-31-2005, 10:17 AM
does she drive a mid/early 90's windstar or a conversion van?

jakethebake
05-31-2005, 10:24 AM
my wife's granny was an avid garage-saler. when she died we found 12 percolaters in her kitchen cabinets. she didn't need any of them but they were too cheap to pass up.

i really loved her. she was a great old lady but HELLO?!

tek
05-31-2005, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and she's probably one of those people that gets up at like 5:30 on saturday morning so they can get there early. they come knocking on your door at like 6:30 wanting a "preview" before the other whackos get there and you're all sold out of half-used candles, flower vases from 12 years of mother's days, or kids games with half the pieces missing.

[/ QUOTE ]

more like thursday morning at 5:30. Most garage sales start on thursdays. My aunt used to do garage sales. When she had a garage full of bargains (depression glass, ruby glass, etc) she'd have her own sale.