PDA

View Full Version : Alternate game

Ogre
05-30-2005, 09:57 PM
I've been playing poker for about a year. Lately the $100 SnGs on Party and their large buyin MTTs. I like tournaments alot and I'm not complaining but I would like diversify my game a little to keep me interested. I would probably play in this other game about 1/5 of the time. I'm looking for a game with about the same stakes as the 100s. I am somewhat interested in the NL/PL, games $200 or $400. Limit is not off limits either. Does anybody who plays in other games along with sngs want to offer any advice?

I think this may belong in the General or Mid/High NL&PL forum but I decided to post it here first.

Thanks
OGRE

Bigwig
05-30-2005, 10:05 PM
I like to play Limit here and there. I think an equivalent level to $100 SNG's for limit is 3/6. Maybe 2/4.

I also like Omaha Hi/Lo. It's probably my second best tournament game. The $10s are such a joke. I think they might be easier than $10 NLHE tourneys. Players make tons of mistakes in this game. Good solid poker strategy will make you an instant winner at the low levels.

EDIT--I guess the $10s aren't what you're looking for. I'm not either--it's just a diversion. But obviously you should start if you're not comfortable with the game at a low level.

beeyjay
05-30-2005, 10:06 PM
i play omaha hi/lo when i'm bored of sngs and tourneys. people are reallyl bad at it so it doesn't take a lot of effort to make money at it although i don't play it for nearly as high of stakes as i play holdem for.(usually i play 2/4 sometimes 3/6) for me it is a nice change of pace though.

Bigwig
05-30-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i play omaha hi/lo when i'm bored of sngs and tourneys. people are reallyl bad at it so it doesn't take a lot of effort to make money at it although i don't play it for nearly as high of stakes as i play holdem for.(usually i play 2/4 sometimes 3/6) for me it is a nice change of pace though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another who agrees with me about O/8. Perhaps some of us should start a basic strategy guide for O/8 SNGs.

I nominate you to get it going. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ogre
05-30-2005, 10:09 PM
I'm sorry, I think I was unclear when I said Alternate game. I meant an alternate Hold'em game.

I may try some omaha anyway though.

Bigwig
05-30-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, I think I was unclear when I said Alternate game. I meant an alternate Hold'em game.

I may try some omaha anyway though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Play some 1/2 NL cash games. Or 3/6 Limit.

Limit's fun. I'm a winner and I play a ridiculous amount of hands (30% or so). Fun change.

Eric Draven
05-30-2005, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Another who agrees with me about O/8. Perhaps some of us should start a basic strategy guide for O/8 SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish you would, they look like a gold mine... I played 4 of them, first time EVER playing O/8 and made ITM on 3, 1st place in one of them. I didn't try it again because I knew I was playing horribly and getting a little lucky... But I can't help thinking I'm missing out on a ton of cash if I improve my O/8 a little...

Ogre
05-30-2005, 10:15 PM
I forgot to mention that I have some experience at 5/10 (6max).

splashpot
05-30-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Limit's fun. I'm a winner and I play a ridiculous amount of hands (30% or so). Fun change.

[/ QUOTE ]
Compared to no limit, limit is a very boring game. You need patience. I don't know how many hands you have, but playing 30% of your hands is not a winning strategy in the long run. You have to be a world class player and be playing against utter morons.

TruFloridaGator
05-30-2005, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do....very interested & I know barely anything about O/8

Phoenix1010
05-30-2005, 10:42 PM
Omaha hi/lo. I find it to be much more interesting and fun than Hold 'Em, even though I suck at it. I'm sure it's because I don't play often. I'd say give some of the other games a try, it can be a really nice change of pace.

Edit: I honestly didn't read any of the responses in this thread before I responded. Call me Captain Redundant.

-Phoenix

Pasterbator
05-30-2005, 10:51 PM
does anyone have any good books on Omaha Hi/Lo? I've read hellmuth's book, and he has a section on it, but i figure there has to be a more descriptive, advanced strategy oriented book by someone. I play NL holdem, but occasionally go to the $10+1 omaha games. Easy money...usually. But i don't think i can play it full time yet, as my strategy absolutely has big leaks.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

Jason

Eric Draven
05-30-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Omaha hi/lo. I find it to be much more interesting and fun than Hold 'Em, even though I suck at it. I'm sure it's because I don't play often. I'd say give some of the other games a try, it can be a really nice change of pace.

Edit: I honestly didn't read any of the responses in this thread before I responded. Call me Captain Redundant.

-Phoenix

[/ QUOTE ]

I also second this feeling!

Nottom
05-31-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like to play Limit here and there. I think an equivalent level to $100 SNG's for limit is 3/6. Maybe 2/4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think $100 SNGs are much closer to 5/10 than either of these ... well I know that they are.

5/10 6-max or 100 SNGs both require a BR somewhere in the $5K range if not more.

I know you have tried 5/10 before Ogre, maybe its time you give it another shot ... I'm sure your game has improved since you last played even if you haven't been playing much limit.

Nottom
05-31-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
does anyone have any good books on Omaha Hi/Lo? I've read hellmuth's book, and he has a section on it, but i figure there has to be a more descriptive, advanced strategy oriented book by someone. I play NL holdem, but occasionally go to the $10+1 omaha games. Easy money...usually. But i don't think i can play it full time yet, as my strategy absolutely has big leaks.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear some dude named Ray Zee has a decent O/8 book. The section in SS2 is supposed to be pretty good as well.