PDA

View Full Version : Mind Tricks

jumister5889
05-30-2005, 09:19 PM
Anyone know of any good mind tricks when playing poker, where talking is allowed? What i like to do is to quote books to describe what im doing. Say i'm in early position, perhaps UTG or UTG+1 and i raise the bb by 4. I'll quote a book and say when i raise the bb by 4, its usually a standard raise and im in early posistion and i have a good hand. Then people will either be stupid and think i dont because they think im an iditot and i use reverse psychology and call me when i have a good hand postflop, or theyll think i have a good hand and fold when i bluff.

Anyone else have good verbal psych tricks when playing poker?

bkholdem
05-30-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know of any good mind tricks when playing poker, where talking is allowed? What i like to do is to quote books to describe what im doing. Say i'm in early position, perhaps UTG or UTG+1 and i raise the bb by 4. I'll quote a book and say when i raise the bb by 4, its usually a standard raise and im in early posistion and i have a good hand. Then people will either be stupid and think i dont because they think im an iditot and i use reverse psychology and call me when i have a good hand postflop, or theyll think i have a good hand and fold when i bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would recommend againts the 'tricks' you mentioned for the following reasons:

By quoting poker books you tell your opponents you have most likely read poker books.

By saying you are doing something because of your postion tells them you have at least some knowledge of postion.

By telling them why you are raising a certain amount it tells them you have a rhyme and reason to why you do particular things while playing poker. I would recommend against talking about 'standard raises'.

If your opponents are going to figure out that you know what your doing at the poker table so be it, I don't think you should help them in this regard however.

If you going to talk, talk about feeling lucky, how player x got lucky, about the lucky seat player x is in and you wanting to switch... do not let them know you have knowlege about baisic strategy. This will key them in on the fact that you have preflop hand selection strategy, betting and raising strategy, postion strategy, etc. Good players will figure it out on their own but you don't have to alert them to this right off the bat. Bad players will get some idea that you know what your doing and might play more cautious agaisnt you.

And if your so good that your planting certain idea's in your opponents heads to use this against them then you would already be proficient at this and wouldn't be asking about it. Moreover, you wouldn't have to 'say' anything specific, you would just use everything said and done on the fly and react accordingly without thinking or planning it.

Don't mean to bust your chops or make you look stupid. I'm just providing you with information I think will help you. Put the ego aside (if you have that reaction to my post) and just learn what you can from what I have said.

If your going to have an 'act' at the table act drunk or loose with your money or paranoid wearing a tinfoil hat or something.

One act that got over on me at a live low limit game a long time ago was this:

Two guys sat down at a 2/4 limit game with racks of $1.00 white chips. (Everyone used the $2.00 yellow chips) I pegged them as chumps and didn't give them credit...until I got beat out of a pot by one of the guys and realized they knew what they were doing... lol.

diebitter
05-31-2005, 05:14 AM
NEVER talk strategy - it draws attention to yourself, and makes the fishes very, very nervous - and who wants tight fish? I've seen tables break up after guys do this, it's that bad.

If you must talk, talk socially but low key - don't draw too much attention to yourself, it leads the fish to watch your play much too closely.

Wait till you're heads up with someone. At that point if you're not having to think/calculate too hard, then engage them in slightly aggressive smalltalk ('these aces are always hard to play right.../I love flush draws...' type thing). If your man's answering back smooth, he's most likely got a good hand, and he's working out how to make the most from you.

If he blurts or is riled by it, he's usually not got a good hand there, so probly drawing or busted...

Of course, this may be the completely wrong inference - depends on the player!!!

stigmata
05-31-2005, 07:11 AM
I have thought about anchoring (e.g. a physical or verbal cue) a player to a certain poker emotion. E.g. allways anchor when they get rivered. Next time a scare river comes, bluff at it whilst repeating the anchor. Combine this with some other NLP type stuff such as talking about origami /images/graemlins/laugh.gif LOL

I think some manipulative geniuses could actually pull this type of stunt off at the table, but it is well beyond most people's skills.

blaze666
05-31-2005, 07:48 AM
in the british poker open, i saw devilfish do a nice trick.
someone raised him, and after a while thinking, he said 'ill just put my chips here' and pushed his chips so they were almost on the bet line, all the while studying his opponent's face.

PokerProdigy
05-31-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO you're better off NOT doing things like this, because then you wise people up to how well you play and you will probably not win as much money. Besides it may make you sound like a jerk/know-it-all which is also terrible for profits, because people won't like playing with you, and when they do play with you they'll try even harder not to lose to you and play their best game against you.

TStoneMBD
05-31-2005, 10:40 AM
The trick to doing mind tricks is relatively easy. While in the comfort of your own home, practice having your index finger touch your middle finger straight out while all the other fingers in your hand are touching your palm. Next, tilt your hand to the right using the muscles in your wrist. While doing this, practice saying phrases such as "You will call my raise" and "You will reraise all-in". Make sure that your tone of voice is very subtle and hypnotic otherwise this mind trick will not work.

You are now good to go. Try this at the poker table and everyone will be very impressed with your skill of the force.

mindflayer
05-31-2005, 12:36 PM
Change your name to Obi Wan Kenobi and use the Force.
These are not the cards your looking for..
"These are not the cards I was looking for"
You should fold
"I Fold'
Unless your playing a Hutt or Newbian.. then your Jedi Mind tricks won't work.

Dominic
05-31-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jesus, dude, that's the lamest thing I've ever heard.

Just play poker.

krimson
05-31-2005, 03:06 PM
I don't get it. You give an example of a mind trick, but in the same sentence you give two completely opposing reactions to your comment.

Either they think i really have a strong hand and fold, or they think i'm bluffing and give me action.

So basically the outcome to your "mind trick" comes down to their interpretation, which as far as your concerned is more or less random.

Not to mention that people's "tricks" can often be pattern forming. They might think they're mixing it up enough, but often enough there will be another player at the table picking up on the things you do and getting reads on what your playing.

jumister5889
05-31-2005, 03:14 PM
I only do this at home games, never at a real game. Seems to work well against fish because they cant read me anyway. That said, getting people to fold if they think i have a strong hand is better so they wont suck me out and if they think im bluffing theyll still get screwed. Either way i win.

Snoogins47
05-31-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I only do this at home games, never at a real game. Seems to work well against fish because they cant read me anyway. That said, getting people to fold if they think i have a strong hand is better so they wont suck me out and if they think im bluffing theyll still get screwed. Either way i win.

[/ QUOTE ]

I died a little when I read the last couple sentences there.

BluffTHIS!
05-31-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
getting people to fold if they think i have a strong hand is better so they wont suck me out and if they think im bluffing theyll still get screwed. Either way i win.

[/ QUOTE ]

HEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAW

BluffTHIS!
05-31-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in the british poker open, i saw devilfish do a nice trick. someone raised him, and after a while thinking, he said 'ill just put my chips here' and pushed his chips so they were almost on the bet line, all the while studying his opponent's face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity blaze, since this was a british event, weren't the normal (horrid IMO) british rules against "cheating by word of mouth", i.e. coffeehousing during a hand that are officially in use in cash games, applied here?

BadBoyBenny
05-31-2005, 09:24 PM
Suprisingly, for masters such as myself, this also works online.

blaze666
06-02-2005, 02:01 AM
i agree, what would happen if someone did this to you? or you did it to someone who knew the trick?

PairTheBoard
06-02-2005, 06:04 AM
When I make a good size raise in early position I like to throw my hat in the air and shout "halleluyah praise the lord I finally found a raising hand". When I'm on the button with a raiser in front of me and I go all in I like to pull the water pistol out of my pocket, set it on the table, glare the raiser straight in the eye and in my best Clint Eastwood imitation gravelly voice say, "go ahead, make my day".

I don't know how this affects my opponents but I find it keeps me nicely off balance.

PairTheBoard

krimson
06-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Or they'll think your bluffing and raise you. How do you handle a raise in this situation? The trick all of a sudden back-fires...

"are they raising because they have me dominated, or because they think i'm bluffing?"

Richie Rich
06-02-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for teaching me your mischevious strategy. I hope to use it against you, one day. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

felson
06-03-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I died a little when I read the last couple sentences there.

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP needs to spend less time devising psychological tricks and more time studying basic poker strategy.