PDA

View Full Version : Need to learn to mix play up?

iNsChris
05-30-2005, 08:09 PM
ok so at my site ive got a reputation.

Pretty much TAG/Rock etc.

ANyhow, If i raise most guys know i have a good hand and although alot don't respect the raise they will prob fold flop if they miss and try kill me off if they hit 2pair for example.

I'm a newie(Relatively) and following SSH chart (Well maybe peek now and again, pretty much know my preflop hands but must Re-Read SSH preflop).

ANyhow, Do you guys find your "predictable"? Do you care? The chat normally goes "Ohh hes got a big hand" "He raised, Run!" "KK AA?" general banter.

Any tips/advice? keep to my game? Try adjust or do some bluffs?

Trouble is blind stealing works occasionaly, But I have some calling stations whom foil my attempts.

Just wanting opinions really, Can't change my username which is unfortunate /images/graemlins/frown.gif

illunious
05-30-2005, 08:30 PM
What site and limit?

iNsChris
05-30-2005, 09:11 PM
0.05/.10 £ .10/.20

Site - Unknown by most, UkPoker.

Pov
05-31-2005, 02:07 AM
Do you know roughly what your VPIP/PFR are?

My first thought is for you to raise more hands and do more stealing. I would follow that with playing a few more hands if you're still getting too much respect.

Call a few more bets on the end when you think you're beaten. If you only show down winning hands you're getting bluffed more than you think and the advertising would apparently do you some good. Obviously don't get carried away, but I know from first hand experience how nice it can be to win an 8 BB pot when you thought you were advertising. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

iNsChris
05-31-2005, 10:00 AM
Stealing fails mostly, I do attempt when pretty sure they are all respecting my raises/(Fear me) but calling stations foil these attempts alot or take a few more aggressive bets post flop.

No idea on VPIP/Aggression. I know i only played 25 - 28% of hands though and i'm sure they know i fold alot (had comments lol).

Getting fustrating and uncomfortable them knowing how i play.

Thanks.

robracing
05-31-2005, 10:05 AM
VPIP sounds reasonable at 25-28%. You probably need to play a bit more aggressively when you are in a pot.

Why are you sticking with just the one site for long enough that people know your game? The sign-up and re-load bonuses are so generous that you should be moving your action week-to-week anyway.

stlip
05-31-2005, 10:41 AM
Do you raise w small PP on the CO or button against 1 or 2 limpers? One of the reasons for doing it is that even if you don't flop your set if everyone else misses and checks to you your flop bet looks like a PP A or K and they'll run and hide and give you the pot.

I like to open raise with 78s in middle or late position if I think people are taking my bets too seriously. Then bet or raise any flop. If they didn't hit anything they'll think you've got a big PP, or if an A, K or Q has flopped they'll think you've got it and they'll fold if they don't have one of their own. Sometimes you might even make a straight or flush and get a chance to win a big pot with it and that'll mess with their heads good. Then you can go back to your ordinary ways.

SheridanCat
05-31-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty much TAG/Rock

[/ QUOTE ]

A tight-aggressive style is not the same as being a rock. Rocks tend to be tight-passive. Just to be clear.

[ QUOTE ]

ANyhow, If i raise most guys know i have a good hand and although alot don't respect the raise they will prob fold flop if they miss and try kill me off if they hit 2pair for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is a continued problem, you need to start playing flops aggressively and try to steal some. Once you're caught, switch back to a tighter game. It's important to switch gears sometimes.

[ QUOTE ]

ANyhow, Do you guys find your "predictable"? Do you care? The chat normally goes "Ohh hes got a big hand" "He raised, Run!" "KK AA?" general banter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I play primarily at PartyPoker and PokerStars, I don't really run into the same players all that often anymore. Unless someone has PT, they really aren't going to get much of a read on me - and even then they won't have much opportunity.

My suggestion is to try another site - a larger site.

Regards,

T

bholdr
05-31-2005, 06:57 PM
first, get pokertracker, it'll give you much more solid information on your playing style that you can get through the stats that the sites give you, and keep in mind that your beliefs about your style are probably way off. before i got PT i thought i was a TAG, turns out i was playing weak-tight (and not as tight as i'd thought).

also, unless you're playing against the same nine people all the time, mixing up your play at low limits (up to 1/20 is a losing proposition. it is definitly important to mix up your play if your opponents are paying attention, AND making adjustments to compensate. at .05/.10, i garuntee that this isn't happening. forget about it for now.

if they think you've got a big huge hand every time you raise, you're probably playing too weak-tight, that is; be more aggressive. remember that it's solid play that gets the money. maybe try another site if your bankroll allows it.

GL

iNsChris
06-01-2005, 07:11 AM
K thanks,

Ill swap over to PokerStars in few weeks and purchase pokertracker ASAP.

I think that will improve my game majorly, Be able to post good hand historys also.

Looking forward to the change, Will work on getting $150 br by mid june now then.

Thanks.

Webster
06-01-2005, 07:27 AM
V$P 25-28 sounds WAY WAY loose but I'm at a higher level - still - that's pretty fishy at any level.

ROCKS lose - every guy in PT that I have (100,000 hands) that is a ROCK is also losing money.

Mixing it up - I don't think this is a good idea and if you think people are paying THAT mutch attention to you . . . .well, they aren't.

Where do you play? UKPoker? hmmmmm Perhaps it MIGHT be too small.

What I would do is make sure if you are 1st to act - raise in instead of limping in. Instead of limping in with A5s in the middle - raise in. Or raise in qith Q9s in the middle instead of limping in if 1st to act.

OR - go to another site.

Grinders Warehouse BLOG Edition (http://www.grinderswarehouse.com)

pzhon
06-01-2005, 07:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ok so at my site ive got a reputation [at 0.10-0.20].

[/ QUOTE ]
I doubt that. The vast majority of your opponents are mesmerized by their own cards. Table image isn't usually a significant factor at 20 times the stakes.

Even if someone is calling you a rock, that doesn't mean he is changing his play appropriately. Someone criticized my play at a NL table, saying I was a coward who only played AA, KK, and AK. (My VP$IP at that table was about 25%, lower than the table average by a factor of 3.) Then I raised UTG, and the complainer reraised all-in for 10 times the pot with AJ.

[ QUOTE ]
ANyhow, Do you guys find your "predictable"? Do you care?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think I am predictable. I play tightly, but when I bet on a flop of J94, I could have AK, KK, or JJ. When I bet an ace-high flop, I could have AK, QQ, or 76. When people start adjusting correctly, I might start to worry, but there really isn't much anyone can do to foil tight, aggressive play.

[ QUOTE ]

Trouble is blind stealing works occasionaly, But I have some calling stations whom foil my attempts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't try to bluff calling stations, but don't think of betting on the flop with AQ unimproved as bluffing.

iNsChris
06-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Hi guys,

Currently experiencing "varience"(bad cards/Good cards missing flops Etc) , Having had a nice run of $20.54 Over 3428 Hands Varience is hitting me, I'm down by $6 in past 2days(60BB).

The guys i play with i see daily, When i join a table i see atleast 3 players i know/Played before lots/Have notes on.

I'm pretty sure most know how i play, So moving site will be a wise move soon.

Playing 25- 28% of hands is loose?! I'm following the SSH tight chart, Can i get any tighter?

I adjust to the games, If they are loose i may play a few more hands in late position etc but i didn't think id be called loose?

Pokertracker will tell me i suppose, But have to move a supported site and purchase/Play 10 000 hands before i know.

I guyess ill stick to my current game then and wont adjust to much, This varience im getting lately is horrible but ill "ride it out".

Thanks all.

the_joker
06-01-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Playing 25- 28% of hands is loose?!

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends in you are talking VPIP or if you are including big blind hands. If you include big blind hands, %25-%28 ok for a passive 10 person game since 10% of your hands are from the big blind.

Pov
06-01-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Playing 25- 28% of hands is loose?!

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends in you are talking VPIP or if you are including big blind hands. If you include big blind hands, %25-%28 ok for a passive 10 person game since 10% of your hands are from the big blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

His reported numbers are not VPIP, they're Flop Seen % I'm pretty sure so his VPIP is probably right in line. PokerTracker will clear that the rest of the way up.

iNsChris
06-01-2005, 03:33 PM
yeh its flop seens (So thats SB/BB)

Thanks.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-02-2005, 03:11 PM
I'd say play at a bigger site, though I'm having trouble believing that there are any sites where many opponents at the level you play actually pay attention.