PDA

View Full Version : Hitting the set and betting to protect against a draw

thestevo31
05-30-2005, 07:07 PM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls $1.

Flop: ($4.25) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: $5.75

Was this a smart to bet after the CO checks to make sure he is not slowplaying the flush? Also was this correct to raise 1.50 if he was on a 1 card draw?

theredpill5
05-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Bet $3 on the flop. Great thing about middle and bottom set is that they will never put you on it and you will get action from the player with the top pair. These are nasty flops for sets, though. I've lost my stack before in this situation.

Don't be willing to get your whole stack in here unless you hit the full house, though. He's 118 to 1 or so to flop a flush but you'd be amazed at how often that happens.

Bet $3 on flop, bet the pot on the turn, make a similar bet on the river but fold to an all-in reraise unless you hit the full house. EDIT:
You are still 4 to 1 on the turn to fill up the full house so if another heart does hit the turn, I would try to see the river if you can for cheap because you could take his whole stack if he has the K:heart or Q:heart.

illunious
05-30-2005, 07:18 PM
I think you played it fine. Headsup, I bet $1.50 with just about anything (after raising $1.50 preflop). Edit: missed one preflop caller, I'd probably bet $2.

[ QUOTE ]
Was this a smart to bet after the CO checks to make sure he is not slowplaying the flush?

[/ QUOTE ]

He rarely will have flopped a flush, or even a decent draw, so don't let that even enter your mind this early in the hand.

Rockatansky
05-30-2005, 07:22 PM
I agree that you should bet a little more on the flop. This board is not very amenable to slowplaying, and you're giving a lone K/images/graemlins/heart.gif or Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif odds to draw to the flush.

I disagree with the notion that you should be scared of getting all of your money in here on the flop. If you bet and he goes all-in over the top, don't be afriad to call. He could be making this move with top pair, a lone heart, two pair, or could be on a complete bluff. If he already has the flush, you're only 2-1 against to improve to a boat or quads.