PDA

View Full Version : You get crippled on hand 1 or 2 of a tournament to 100 or so chips....

Karak567
05-30-2005, 06:00 PM
Do you push and push trying to bust as soon as possible so you can fire up another or do you actually wait and try to double up 2-3 times over?

Say you have 40-50 chips.

Say you have 125 chips.

Bigwig
05-30-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you push and push trying to bust as soon as possible so you can fire up another or do you actually wait and try to double up 2-3 times over?

Say you have 125 chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I still try to win. Taking a lot of chances is going to be a natural part of that process, however, and I may be getting busted real fast.

___SK___
05-30-2005, 07:21 PM
i say wait it out for a pushable hand, people will loosen up when calling you figuring you to be weak.

A_Junglen
05-30-2005, 09:13 PM
I definetly still try to win. Crazier things have happened.

raptor517
05-30-2005, 09:38 PM
ive been back from less than 100 chips at LEAST 10 times. probably double or triple that. certainly dont give up. you are only 3 double ups away from a workable stack of 800. holla

Vetstadium
05-30-2005, 09:52 PM
Great question though I still try to win but do push with any mid pair and AJ and higher in this spot.

ewing55
05-30-2005, 11:51 PM
I still try and win, but I try to push hands that play well with multiple opponents. I'd rather push 78s into a big field than KK into one opponent.

Doubling up 40 to 80 doesn't really help.

Of course I'm just a rookie, I could be wrong.

--------------Jeff

splashpot
05-30-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I still try and win, but I try to push hands that play well with multiple opponents. I'd rather push 78s into a big field than KK into one opponent.

Doubling up 40 to 80 doesn't really help.

[/ QUOTE ]
I sure hope you don't mean you wouldn't push KK against 1 opponent. Doubling up 40 to 80 is better than not doubling 40 to 80.

pergesu
05-31-2005, 12:42 AM
I think you misunderstand the value of suited connectors in multiway pots. Their value goes up because you can extract lots of chips the times you hit. Believe me, you don't want to get your chips in the middle with 8 high.

Nottom
05-31-2005, 02:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you misunderstand the value of suited connectors in multiway pots. Their value goes up because you can extract lots of chips the times you hit. Believe me, you don't want to get your chips in the middle with 8 high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm quite happy to throw my last 80 chips in the middle with 78s if I think it will be 4-5 way or more.

cha59
05-31-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ive been back from less than 100 chips at LEAST 10 times. probably double or triple that. certainly dont give up. you are only 3 double ups away from a workable stack of 800. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I never give up either. I played a live multi table tourney at Binions a couple weeks ago and this guy at my table was down to 225 in chips when the big blind was 400. There were about 70 people left at the time. He came back and took 3rd place.

ayecappy
05-31-2005, 12:29 PM
KK is a MUCH BETTER multiway hand than than any suited connector from 23s to AKs afaik, hope i didnt misunderstood you post

ewing55
05-31-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I sure hope you don't mean you wouldn't push KK against 1 opponent. Doubling up 40 to 80 is better than not doubling 40 to 80.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll play what I'm dealt. Of course I'll push KK against 1 or more. I said I *RATHER* play... But I'm really looking for that marginal+ hand that I can push into lots of limpers. If I get a bunch of limpers in front of me I'll push any two. I'm way down on chips and I need a miracle to get back in the game. I'm just gonna take a shot at that miracle, rather than get blinded away.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

----------------------Jeff

TStokes
05-31-2005, 02:25 PM
This actually just happened to me my pocket kings went down and I was left with 94 I doubled up a couple hands in a row to get back to average and then caught fire I now have 3500 with 6 left I will let you know how it turns out.

TStokes
05-31-2005, 02:36 PM
Placed third the fire went out when we got in the money.

The Yugoslavian
05-31-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I look for the first decent opportunity to race HU.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then these chips are worth quite a bit of $$....always remember that the fewer chips you have the more they are worth (somewhat exponentially too).

However, there *are* $/hr considerations to be made. You want to double up a couple of times before eating any blinds....so any hand will do really....you don't have many options.

[ QUOTE ]

Say you have 125 chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, still not quite enough to eat blinds...but if you double up then you can play with a 'dangerous' short stack.

Also realize that players will want to call you in these situations...so you're not going to be far behind (if behind at all) if you pick your spots well.

Yugoslav

jgunnip
05-31-2005, 04:09 PM
I think it really depends on the person. If you 8 table and play solely for good $/hr rates than I'd probably just close the game and start another, since the attention spent on picking the right spots to push on a tourney where your ITM% at this point is probably very low is not +EV. Sure you'll finish ITM occasionaly when you get lucky, but I think most players would make more money if they just started up a new SNG right away.

Personally, I enjoy the challenge so I usually try to play it out. However If I'm down to 20 chips on level 3 then screw it.

J-Lo
05-31-2005, 04:31 PM
I've seen crazy things happen, like raptor's roommate, deuce2high-- he took 1st after being crippled to 5 chips at lvl 6 on the bubble. i'm pretty sure i posted this elsewhere on this forum, but i thought i'd reiterate.