PDA

View Full Version : All in at the river?

iceman5
05-30-2005, 02:48 PM
$5/$10 NL

Villian in this hand is a slow player (and a short stack type player). When I sat down he had like $100. I doubled him up once when I limped with 88 and then he went all in in the BB for $75. I called and his AQ beat me.

Later, there were 4 limpers, then a raise to $30, he flat called in the SB with AA. Of course everyone called and he lucked out and won a huge pot against a bunch of people drawing. In another hand he called $30 again preflop with AA and won a smallish pot. He also slowplayed a set on a very draw heavy board but came out unscathed again.

He has $1050 now. I have him covered. UTG+1 has $700.

Its my last hand. I have to go do some yard work. I limp UTG with 77. UTG+1 limps. SP (slow player) raises to $30. We both call.

Pot is $100. The flop comes JQQ with 2 hearts. It gets checked around.

Pot $100. The turn a 7 (not a heart). I bet $50 and they both call.

Pot $250. The river is a 2 (no flush) . I bet $100. UTG+1 folds. SP raises to $300. Is this an automatic push all in?

Hes obviously slowplaying something again. He has either AQ, KQ or JJ in my opinion. This was the 1st hand he had raised preflop since I was at the table (other than that preflop all in).

I did push all in. What do you think?

emil3000
05-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Don't like it. You think you'll get called by trips?

Garland
05-30-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He has either AQ, KQ or JJ in my opinion. This was the 1st hand he had raised preflop since I was at the table (other than that preflop all in).

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is an infrequent preflop raiser, he's more likely not to have KQ (and AQ is also less likely). Who knows? Maybe you haven't played with him long enough or maybe he's changed his tune when he changed from being a short stack to a full stack.

Judge for yourself the possibilities. Given your description of Mr. Slowplayer, I would at this point definitely be worried about JJ or QQ, and just call.

Garland

radioheadfan
05-30-2005, 04:59 PM
It seems like SP would play QQ/JJ this way, given your description. AQ/KQ also seem plausible. Given that he might fold AQ/KQ to your all in, I'm just calling this river, but I'm a big wuss when it comes to river play.

iceman5
05-30-2005, 07:09 PM
Excuse me sir, but Im the biggest river wuss on this site. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Im trying to work on that. He did call with AQ so it worked this time, so I guess the question is not WILL I get called with AQ/KQ, but will I get called often enough with those hands to make up for the times he has JJ or QQ.

To be honest, QQ never crossed my mind. Im not going to worry about quads and I really didnt think he had JJ either.

BluffTHIS!
05-30-2005, 08:34 PM
The key to beating this type of player is that he is constantly slowplaying multiway pots, which means you take all the free cards he wants to give you. His playing like this with a bigger stack after doing the allin with top15 stuff when shortstacked will bust him eventually, hopefully to you. In this particular hand I would never have folded either after his river raise, but wouldn't have pushed fearing mainly JJ.

erfinator
05-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Hi Iceman,
Based on your description of SP, I think you were totally justified in pushing. Villain seems to be the type of opponent who a) overvalues his holdings and b) thinks the key to poker is slowplaying. Chances are you wouldn't have heard from him pre-flop if he did in fact have QQ or JJ as he would probably deem these the types of hands to trap with postflop. At least, that's what my experience with these types of players has shown me.

freemoney
05-30-2005, 08:57 PM
no thats wrong slowplaying doesnt mean he is just going to limp call his big hands, i think against a habitual slowplayer (too likely to have u beat) and a solid player (to likely to fold a worse hand) i am comfortable just calling.

jumister5889
05-30-2005, 09:01 PM
These types of SPs aren't actually holding the nuts. In my exp, these players are jsut fish who watch tv and see pros slow playing. The best way is to isolate him and wait for an oppurtunity where you have thenuts or the best hand. I also doubt he had QQ or JJ cuz he wouldve checked preflop. I wouldve put him on AQ or KQ. Because he likes to SP a lot from tv, he might be inexperienced and played with QJ. Personally i would've been scared about QJ

freemoney
05-30-2005, 09:03 PM
lol yeah he learned from tv, he probably has KQ or AQ. good read.

thabadguy
05-31-2005, 05:58 AM
I think you will get called enough times to make this profitable. The 7 on the turn looks like a complete brick to me and so does the deuce, since there is no flush out there either, I dont think I would be good enough to fold trips with Ace kicker in this situation, the only hand I would expect to see that beat me would be JJ.