PDA

View Full Version : call the river?

SoBeDude
05-30-2005, 01:45 PM
Villian in this hand is very loose PF, but his late-hand raises are usually raises for value.

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (14 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (9 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Villian is a preflop idiot, but his late-hand raises are usually raising for value.

Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Button checks.

River: (9 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, Button folds, Hero...

Final Pot: 12 BB

James282
05-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Not betting the turn is unwise.
-James

SoBeDude
05-30-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not betting the turn is unwise.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

SEVEN people saw the flop for 2 cold. Seven! Do you really think I'm going to be ahead here often?

Once the turn was checked around, I thought I might be good so I took a stab.

-Scott

James282
05-30-2005, 02:15 PM
9 BB in the pot, and any spade kills your hand completley. I think a bet is in order for sure. I don't think you'll USUALLY be ahead, but you don't need to be ahead even close to usually for a bet to be correct.
-James

Nate tha' Great
05-30-2005, 02:35 PM
I can't fathom not wanting to call this river after having checked the turn.

SoBeDude
05-30-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
9 BB in the pot, and any spade kills your hand completley. I think a bet is in order for sure. I don't think you'll USUALLY be ahead, but you don't need to be ahead even close to usually for a bet to be correct.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

and if I get raised?

James282
05-30-2005, 02:54 PM
If you get raised, you can fold IMO. Were you planning to check-call the turn or check-fold it?
-James

SoBeDude
05-30-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you get raised, you can fold IMO. Were you planning to check-call the turn or check-fold it?
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to see who bet it then decide when I can see the action gets around to me.

skp
05-30-2005, 03:52 PM
You are probably beat but you should make the crying call.

Your turn decision is the way more interesting one. You have given good reasons for checking. James makes a good argument for betting. I initially liked your reasoning but on reflection, I have been swayed by James' logic. The reason for this is that the board has an Ace, King, and Queen. I doubt that you would be raised by a hand like KQ or KsJh given your EP preflop raise followed by flop and turn bets into a gaggle of players. Therefore, if you bet and are raised, you should be able to safely fold.