PDA

View Full Version : good folds or weak tight?

davidross
12-19-2002, 10:26 AM
These two hands happened within 5 minutes of each other, against two different players. In reviewing them later with another player he was disgusted with my play on both. What do you think?

1) I get QQ in early position and open raise. MP 3-bets me and the BB calls 2 extra bets. Flop is A - 8 - 5 rainbow. BB checks and I check and the MP bets. BB calls. I fold. Heads up I think I would have raised, but I am pretty sure I'm beat here.

2) I am in late position with JJ. One limper to me and I raise. Player on my left 3 bets. BB and limper call. I call too. Flop is As - Td - 6s. Checked to the 3-bettor who bets. BB calls and limper folds. I fold too.

I didn't know the other players at all. I had the impression that the 3-bettor in the 2'nd hand was a very good player. I'm curious how aggressive others would get with these hands.

davidross
12-19-2002, 10:33 AM
Hand 1. The 3-bettor bet the turn again and the BB called and checked the river. He had TT and the BB had 76 and was playing his open ender. DOH!. I still like my fold. I think I'm beat about 80% of the time in this situation.

Hand 2. the 3-bettor bet each street and the BB called. 3-bettor had QQ and the BB had Ax (and it was a little x).

Is this a big hole I need to plug? Obviously I don't want to get run over by anyone who thinks they can just 3-bet when I raise, but I also don't want to waste unnecessary bets finding out I have a good 2nd best hand.

J.A.Sucker
12-19-2002, 01:04 PM
In the first hand, I would have capped it preflop at 4 bets. Then, bet out the flop. I think you'd like what happens. As it played out, I still would bet the flop. If raised by MP, then, I would either fold, or call him down, depending on the player - leaning to calling down.

2nd hand: I think you played this one fine. Live to fight another day.

I think that you freeze up when 3 bet preflop. This is a good opportunity to "steal" some pots back. If you raise and call the 3 bet, most players put you on AK/AQ. Now, you've gotta bet the flop when an A falls. Many times you'll win the pot.