PDA

View Full Version : AKs Versus the Min/Small-Reraise

downtown
05-30-2005, 11:51 AM
Twice last night I ran into similar situations with AKs, and thought I would post these hands to see how people handle similar situations and what they find that the min-reraise means. To me it has always meant strength, especially into multiple players, but for the same reason it says to me "hee haw" because what hand do you want to play muliway versus previous raisers who can just call your miniraise and see a flop? I guess I just hate these pot-sweetener type hands. Ok, to the hands...

----------

Hand 1:

$22 Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t630)
Hero (t830)
UTG (t830)
UTG+1 (t2490)
MP1 (t880)
MP2 (t1015)
CO (t865)
Button (t460)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t150</font>, SB folds, Hero???

----------

Hand 2:

$22 Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t1445)
BB (t567)
Hero (t905)
UTG+1 (t785)
UTG+2 (t770)
MP1 (t688)
MP2 (t695)
MP3 (t830)
CO (t450)
Button (t865)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t90</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t200</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero???

Assume no/weak reads, which probably means infrequent player at 22s, due to my not huge, but ok database of who frequent good players are.

jgunnip
05-30-2005, 01:12 PM
I push both hands. I don't like calling because you could very-well gett re-raised and raising pot committs you too much.

downtown
05-31-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I push both hands. I don't like calling because you could very-well gett re-raised and raising pot committs you too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else? This isn't usually the line I take, but I'm thinking maybe it should be. Do I see AQ or AJ often enough, or more often than KK or AA vs the min-reraise? (assuming vs a normal reraise or simply HU i push.)

MrX
05-31-2005, 10:20 AM
Hand 1: I am less concerned about AA or KK here. I see this donk combo of min raise followed by min reraise all the time.

This is a habitual offense by many players and when I see them do it I take note of it (often this has come out on level 1 and I bet if you looked at the hand history you may find this player doing it earlier).

The note they get is min raiser and I also type in 'nt'.

IF ANYONE CAN GUESS WHAT 'NT' STANDS BY NOON TODAY I WILL TRANSFER THEM $5 to their STARS account.

Regardless I push here.

Hand 2: this hand has me much more concerned for AA or KK. I prob call and check raise all in if A,K or flush draw flops and fold to a flop bet if unimproved.

MrX

downtown
05-31-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

IF ANYONE CAN GUESS WHAT 'NT' STANDS BY NOON TODAY I WILL TRANSFER THEM $5 to their STARS account.

[/ QUOTE ]

"No Talent"? (or "no talent ass clown"? but i guess that would be NTAC) I don't need the $5, but that's my guess.

MrX
05-31-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"No Talent"? (or "no talent ass clown"? but i guess that would be NTAC) I don't need the $5, but that's my guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

good guess, but incorrect

Come on this should be easy

J-Lo
05-31-2005, 10:56 AM
nice trap= nt, stars name is Junaid0

Burdzthewurd
05-31-2005, 10:56 AM
No Testicles

MrX
05-31-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
nice trap= nt, stars name is Junaid0

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not a nice trap, the min rse prices everyone in to outflop them with deep stacks at least. This is referring specifically to min raises on levels 1 and 2.

Does anyone here do this min raise routinely. (This is a hint to the meaning of 'nt')

Always Rockets
05-31-2005, 11:04 AM
I definitely push both. AA or KK wouldn't use a min raise in that situation, I think you'd be looking at A-Q A-J or a mid pair at best

Verbal Kint
05-31-2005, 11:26 AM
I'm going to use my FIRST post to take a stab at the question... first thing that came to mind was 'NICE TRY'!
(kev407)

MrX
05-31-2005, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to use my FIRST post to take a stab at the question... first thing that came to mind was 'NICE TRY'!
(kev407)

[/ QUOTE ]

that could mean anything this is a very specific reference.

Smockstack
05-31-2005, 11:45 AM
I ran into same situation yesterday during level 3. small blind was t50, big blind t100, utg raises to t200. I push all in with A,K with approx T1200 chips. - BINGO - pocket Aces.

....damn tricky ass clown.

OrangeKing
05-31-2005, 11:58 AM
Nice tell? That's what I'm thinking.

MrX
05-31-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: I am less concerned about AA or KK here. I see this donk combo of min raise followed by min reraise all the time.

This is a habitual offense by many players and when I see them do it I take note of it (often this has come out on level 1 and I bet if you looked at the hand history you may find this player doing it earlier).

Regardless I push here.

Hand 2: this hand has me much more concerned for AA or KK. I prob call and check raise all in if A,K or flush draw flops and fold to a flop bet if unimproved.

MrX

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay noon is here.

Anyone who does a gay min rse preflop when there is no appropriate reason to do it (there a few on later levels, but not part of this)..gets a quick 'nt' typed in.

nt = not trout

They also get this if showing down crap in L1-3.

Scuba Chuck
05-31-2005, 12:31 PM
OP, the there are two answers to your problem. The first answer is that the best way to play this is level dependent. Meaning that the $22ers overvalue hands, and that AK may very well be the best hand in either situation. The second answer, which I advocate, is that your reads may mean another thing at higher levels.

This is how I'd play these hands.

Hand 1. I'd call. The initial raiser only mini-raised, and it's likely he too will just call. Why does someone reraise a mini-raise? Well this is a $22, so who knows. The general rule of thumb is that you should never re-raise a raise unless you will call the original raisers raise. (hope you followed that). FWIW, I don't think a push here is completely wrong either. But on a $22, I don't think you'll have much folding equity.

Hand 2 - I fold. By now, you should know that the lion share of the skill advantage you have over these peckerheads is middle level and bubble strategy. AK is still a drawing hand. No reason to risk chips early. You've already built yourself a nice little cushion on your stack, just relax. Let the game come to you.

Scuba