PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Which image is stronger (way OT, does not involve hot women)

ElSapo
05-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Thus far, opinion has split on this picture for a variety of reasons... Which do you think is stronger?

http://www.teamwetdog.com/indexes/nolie2w.jpg

...or...

http://www.teamwetdog.com/indexes/noliew.jpg

toss
05-30-2005, 11:20 AM
I voted for picture one just because theres someone else in picture two. The person does have a more pained expression in picture 2 but I dislike the angle its shot at.

YourFoxyGrandma
05-30-2005, 11:28 AM
I picked the second one. The down angle and symmetrical composition accentuates feelings of loneliness and hopelessness. Also, I think the fence as an enclosure from the rest of the frame works more effectively in the second than the first.

I could see arguments for the first being stronger, though. It's more human / personal.

Both are sweet; nice pics.

-Skeme-
05-30-2005, 11:31 AM
Neither are moving or "strong" to me, but the second one. The downward angle on the fence is cool. Seems sort of deserted, like you're staring down upon the lonely dude. What are these anyway?

gorie
05-30-2005, 11:41 AM
hmm. i voted for picture 2, but the more i look the more i think i lean towards picture one.

in the first one the blur of the chain fence bugs me, i am distracted by it. but it is a good shot.
i don't care for the mans expression. it feels too posed.

second picture seems to have captured more of a moment, more so than the first. he looks lonely and thinking about something.
i don't like the angle, which is made more obvious because of the fence. it makes me want to readjust my view. but i can see how this might work with the picture in the sense that you're looking down at him.

there seems to be more 'emotion' in second picture than the first.

but i think i end up preferring the first. hmm.

then again i know nothing about photography. which is funny since i work in a professional photo lab. i'm good at cropping and making color look good though ? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

DavidC
05-30-2005, 12:09 PM
Take the matches, put them in the background of pic #1, and you have a winner.

#2 lacks facial expression, and has some guy who isn't the subject in the top right of frame.

Also, remove watch from subject.

[censored]
05-30-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and has some guy who isn't the subject in the top right of frame.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree I think that spoils the shot. Otherwise I think shot 2 invokes more feelins of loneliness or desperation.

SackUp
05-30-2005, 12:43 PM
I picked the second picture. The first one is a little blurry and the angle forces your to focus on the man's face and thus you lose the rest of the scenery. The second picture allows you to take everything in and process it at once.

Also, I don't think the extra guy detracts at all. You typically see many people on the street in groups or at least in the same area. To me that just signifies the reality that this isn't the only guy in the situation. The guy in the background represents the next person in a line of problems.

Clarkmeister
05-30-2005, 12:45 PM
Neither. And I tend to like pictures like this.

EliteNinja
05-31-2005, 02:48 AM
omfg, when I voted it was 40 to 40!!

I chose pic 1.
Facial anguish looks more powerful.

fluxrad
05-31-2005, 02:53 AM
Pic 1 has more of an imprisoned feel to it.

private joker
05-31-2005, 02:57 AM
I picked #1.

#2 is definitely "cooler," what with the angle and composition, but #1 captures a better facial expression, is more to the point, and benefits from the narrow depth of field -- fence out of focus but prominent in the foreground, while the subject is in the middle ground and in perfect focus.

tripdad
05-31-2005, 02:59 AM
i chose pic 2. there was too much distraction in the background of pic 1. the other person in pic 2 doesn't take away from the subject at all.

JaBlue
05-31-2005, 03:01 AM
it is very obviously #1. Awesome pic.

Tron
05-31-2005, 03:39 AM
Very much #1.

#2 seems to violate most of the "rules" of photography, i.e. the subject is in the center, the background is too busy, etc.

I really like #1, though.

zephed
05-31-2005, 06:15 AM
#1. The fence appears like more of a prison or cage in the first pic than in the second. He seems trapped and powerless.

Also, he's black. I think that makes a difference in these pictures.

treeofwisdom7
05-31-2005, 06:32 AM
DUDE LEAVE THE POOR BLACK GUY ALONE!

he just wants to sit in his small fenced yard and be left alone.

jakethebake
05-31-2005, 08:58 AM
Why the hell would I like either one? What do you mean by "stronger"? It's just some old guy with a crutch sitting on the ground?

fluxrad
05-31-2005, 12:51 PM
Does anyone else notice that the guy looks exactly like the guy from that one episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit where the serial killer beats up Dr. Wong.

Earlier in the episode they go to see his old cell-mate who converted to Islam and the guy says something like "You don't need my voice in your head tellin' you how your kid died."

I swear to god this is that guy.

ElSapo
05-31-2005, 01:04 PM
I'll go ahead and dump some of my thoughts in here, as long as this has been bumped again...

--First off, thanks for all the responses and votes, even those that said "this doesn't do anything for me." Perhaps, especially those.

--It was interesting to see what people preferred, especially a group of people not specifically photographers or artists. For what it's worth (nothing) most photographers went with the second one though it was close also.

--The voting has been reasonably close, which I think is interesting.

--I think rather than two versions of one picture, this is probably two distinct pictures/ideas.

--Personally, I much prefer the second one. While I like the more detailed face, I think the second one makes a better statement about the situation while the first tends towards portraiture.

--I think there are more distractions in the top one, even if there is also a more natural point of focus. I think the second wins on composition easily, but that's just my opinion.

--The guys legs in the background of the first one don't bother me; the poll does bother me somewhat. However, that's life. I tried re-cropping the image, but it lost the impact I think it has.

Anyways, thanks.