PDA

View Full Version : Party = Crack...and im addicted !!!

Big Limpin'
05-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Hi. My name is Big Limpin' and im a crackhead.
(Hi BL !)
I'm not sure when it started, i guess about a month ago. At first, it was just harmless fun. I threw a couple bills into Empire for sh*ts and giggles. I wanted to see what the fun was about. I come from a rough neighborhood (read: 2+2),
and there are crackheads everywhere. Its an epidemic. I felt i was a minority, living clean, playing deepstack poker, trying to be the best i could be.

But that first night of Party. What can i say? What a bender man. I was high. (how high?) So high i could kiss the sky. The action was fast and furious. Blinds were skyrocketing. Players falling. Pushes wherever i looked. I was in a daze. But i loved it. I almost felt a sense of guilt. How could i be enjoying this? This aint poker.

Well the next day...i looked back with shame at my excursion to the forbidden land. What had i become? A goon? A pimp? A pusher? I was scared. All my life i had led the clean life. Did i want to throw that all away?

I returned to my old stomping grounds. It was comfortable, it was profitable. They knew me here. I was back in my element. Here, the skills i had spent years honing...getting away from hands, bluff-calling, picking up posts when they "ran out of gas", managing pot sizes...they appreciated these thing here.

But i had tasted the forbidden fruit. It wasn't even a week before my resolve crumbled. I had to have some more of that sweet sweet crack. I wanted, nay, i needed another taste of that methamphetamine that was high octane, short stack, horrendous skills crackhouse that was Party Poker.

So there i was again. I knew i had an addiction at this point. But i thought i could handle it. Hey, i know what im doing, i though. Moderation, thats all. I could still grind out my dayjob at the "real poker" sites. Just on weekends i'd hit the Party. And then, it bacame once or twice during the week. And it bagan to snowball out of control. Some days, i wouldnt even turn up to "work". Sometimes for days at a time, i wouldnt come "home".

I'd make excuses. Id tell them i was taking time off. I coulnt admit that i had a Party/crack problem. I had become a shadow of my former self. My skills eroded. When i would turn up at my old site, id play like complete crap. I'd turn into a maniac when the blinds hit 150-300. I'd push, then realize that doh, i just overbet that pot by threefold. Damn i had alot of chips. I was a ghost of what i used to be.

So here i am, Big Limpin. Crackhead /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

OK, seriously, i have become very enamored with the structure. Well, thats not quite it, i still don't really "like" it, but i am blown away by how completely awful the vast majority of players are at the $22 level. I'm used to playing higher, but i still know how $22ers are at other sites, and this is weak.

So let me say it now, for the record:

I, Big Limpin', am converting fulltime to Party.

At the very least, for one full month. I may say fuckit after that, but for the month of June, i will play only at Party. I'm ready to embrace it, learn it, and learn new skills while mothballing old ones. I dedicate myself to becoming the best 800chipper i can be.

The plan: I'm at about 250 tourneys so far. I'm going to stay at $22 until i have 500 under my belt. Im getting pretty comfortable with the structure by now, and i thinnk most growing pains are behind me, but i figure by 500 i will have no more excuses.

When i get to 500 (prolly about a week from now), i'll post my stats, my biggest questions, and ask for advice on how i should proceed at Party.

Whew, guess thats all. This post jsut started out as a quick allegory of party being like crack and i like it, but got a little longwinded after that. Thanks if you got this far, hope you laughed at least once. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BL - Limpin' aint easy

freemoney
05-30-2005, 10:52 AM
lol nh

ripped
05-30-2005, 10:55 AM
great post..

ty enjoyed it.

Freudian
05-30-2005, 12:13 PM
You better change your username here to Big'Pushin'.

SlackerMcFly
05-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Great post! Still learning the correct way to play $22's on Party (didn't know other sites even existed....)

Good luck, and nice avatar!

Slacker

Voltron87
05-30-2005, 12:58 PM
awesome post.

PapiChulo503
05-30-2005, 01:54 PM
Party is the only site I have ever played on. I made the transition from 5's to 10's about a month ago and its been great. You implied that at other sites the competition is much better, do you think it would help a learning player to get away from party and not pickup any bad habbits? Or should I just keep working on becoming a winning player where im at?

runner4life7
05-30-2005, 02:16 PM
I think if you want to be a winning player at party the best way is to stay at party and just get more and more used to the structure there, and of course be thankful for all the idiots.

Big Limpin' - If you have good stats at the 20s after 500 I would give the 30s a shot because there isnt that big of a skill jump. I am playing the 20s for about 2 more weeks then moving up to the 30s, my roommates 6 tables them now and the players are atrocious.

Big Limpin'
05-30-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think if you want to be a winning player at party the best way is to stay at party and just get more and more used to the structure there, and of course be thankful for all the idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that would be prudent. To leave PP to "learn" would really only teach you stuff that wouldnt be applicable to your eventual return to PP. I'd say if you want to hone skills versus better comp, just play >stakes at party.

[ QUOTE ]
Big Limpin' - If you have good stats at the 20s after 500 I would give the 30s a shot because there isnt that big of a skill jump. I am playing the 20s for about 2 more weeks then moving up to the 30s, my roommates 6 tables them now and the players are atrocious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its obviously the plan. I have the bankroll, and i believe the skills to pay the bills, but ive been doing the $22 thang becasue i was adjusting to the structue, so it helps if others are more clueless that me. As it stands right now, im not exactly crusing the games either, although doing better as of late. I was sub 20% at first, i've been doing quite well my last 100 or so, got the ROI up to 24%, which all things considered im quite happy with. I also understand that the 800 structure is not condusive to +30% chrushing.

I alluded to hitting 500 and then asking for reccomendations on moving up, and that was to be whether to go 33s or 55s for next stint. There was some talk a couple weeks ago (i think it was either PVS or Irie, could be wrong too) about the 33s being disproportionatley heavy in grinders...and coming from me 1500 background, the extra 200 chips would mos def be to my advantage. For that, i want to get a full 500 at my current level, so that i have something resonably solid to plunk down on the table for an ROI, to ask "if this was you, where would you be playing now"

smb394
05-30-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Party is the only site I have ever played on. I made the transition from 5's to 10's about a month ago and its been great. You implied that at other sites the competition is much better, do you think it would help a learning player to get away from party and not pickup any bad habbits? Or should I just keep working on becoming a winning player where im at?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should stay at Party and keep playing against bad players, as this will afford you the ability to move up (as runner said). Another option would be somewhere like Stars when they have a bonus going (cough) that you can clear by playing SNGs (I know, a lot). You could then experience a different style. Hope this helped. /images/graemlins/smile.gif