PDA

View Full Version : Q9s flops top pair with preflop raiser played differently....

@bsolute_luck
05-30-2005, 10:10 AM
okay it is at Golden Tiger and the converter doesn't work, so bare with me as i've hand-typed this.

Reads: table was a general mix of players. Preflop raiser (UTG) raised preflop with any pocket pair, KQo, QTs. though with only 63 hands on him, he played only overcards, pp, and suited cards. nothing crazy preflop.

Hero: Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif9/images/graemlins/heart.gif in SB

Preflop <font color="red">UTG raises</font>, 1 fold, MP2 cold calls, 2 folds, MP4 cold calls, CO folds, Button cold calls, Hero calls, BB calls

Flop 12sb : Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif7/images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="red">UTG bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP4 calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB folds

Turn 8.5BB 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif
<font color="red">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls, MP4 calls, Button folds

i have to go to a Memorial Day picnic, but i'll post the river and results later. i would like to hear people's thoughts up to this point.

i thought about betting out on the flop, but as you can see preflop, people were cold calling a bit. so any draws, overcards, or higher Qs were staying in. so no matter what i did, i figured i wouldn't know where i was.

i thought about check/raising the flop, but again for the same reasons as not betting out. then the blank turn card came. i figured if preflop raiser had UI overcards or smaller pocket pair, he wouldn't bet out or raise at this point and it would get checked through. plus if he had me beat, he'd raise and knock out other players who were just calling the flop to see the turn.

if he did have UI overcards or a smaller pocket pair, he'd probably call down because that's what he did on other hands and out of curiosity out of me betting out on a blank.

toss
05-30-2005, 10:39 AM
Eh the flop isnb't that scary that you want to check call then bet out on the turn. I'd rather just bet out on the flop for value.

JKDStudent
05-30-2005, 11:04 AM
Bet the flop. By checking, you have even less information, since UTG will likely bet out simply because he was the pf raiser. Also, if you're lucky, UTG will raise you, knocking out some people and making the flush draws pay more.

A check raise would be horrible on the flop, as with that many people in the pot, all you're doing is bloating the pot with top pair, middle kicker. That pretty much ensures that everyone is going to stay until the end. Your hand isn't strong enough to want that, and you have no redraws.

iNsChris
05-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Bet the flop, Bet the turn.

Might be Behind AQ/KQ/QJ/QT/AA/KK/QQ but see what river brings.

The way you played it, I expect UTG to maintain aggression on river even if hes drawing a misses.(AK etc)

PuckNPoker
05-30-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Reads: table was a general mix of players. Preflop raiser (UTG) raised preflop with any pocket pair, KQo, QTs. though with only 63 hands on him, he played only overcards, pp, and suited cards. nothing crazy preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold PF. Solid hand selection raising UTG you have to make that fold.

MrWookie47
05-30-2005, 03:06 PM
I think I fold Q9s in this situation, but you might be able to convince me that it's ok. Where's grjr? What does the official micros loosey-goosey have to say about this?

aK13
05-30-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I fold Q9s in this situation, but you might be able to convince me that it's ok. Where's grjr? What does the official micros loosey-goosey have to say about this?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are so many people in this pot. I think calling with this hand is fine. I'd lead out with a bet on the flop. If UTG raises, I'm check/calling the turn, and leading a blank river (your read makes me think he is a LAG, so he might be raising with garbage, and you don't want him to check the river).

EDIT: btw, I replied to your PM.

@bsolute_luck
05-30-2005, 08:42 PM
got your PM thanx ak-

i thought preflop was fine with so many people in it and, no, i didn't think the UTG raise was "solid" since (i thought i put this in my read) he raised any pocket pair. Nor all the cold calling by people. and i was in sb, so i wasn't cold calling.

i guess i should have bet out and i did toy with the idea, but i'm afraid i'm still not sold on the idea. if called by everyone, then what? and i didn't think c/r was a very good idea either.

rest of the hand....

River: Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif
<font color="red">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, everyone folds

Hero: 3 of a kind Qs
UTG: Pocket Tens.
MHIG