PDA

View Full Version : This is clear fold, yes?

octaveshift
05-30-2005, 09:52 AM
BB was super loose, and was calling everyone out of spite. She had called an all-in with J6o at one point.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t1520)
Hero (t3260)
Button (t1545)
SB (t1675)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero....?

NYCNative
05-30-2005, 10:03 AM
I would feel comfortable with a t500 blind steal with that hand.

The shorties are on the bubble and will probably only play back with really good hands, even the loose BB.

It's a high suited connector so if you are called (not a smart play but maybe BB goes that route) you can do worse than see a flop.

Yet such a bet is an good fold to a push because you still have 14B left. I think that folding to an all-in for over 1000 more is not a bad move but others may correct me. Even if it's "wrong" by the numbers, I don't think it's HORRIBLE if you suspect you're dominated.

Worst case: You are still a huge chip-leader if you have to fold or see a flop that sucks.

Decent case: Win those blinds.

Best case: See a flop and watch three clubs appear and you're in the money.

Note: I tend to play aggressively with a chip lead on the bubble because at the games I play, people are more concerned with finishing third than first a lot of times. I like to take advantage of this.

Karak567
05-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Easy push IMO. All opponents are 2 k or under so don't even bother making a 500 raise, just shove em' in.

I shove Q9s in this position too.

Maybe I'm wrong but it works for me, especially with three guys at even stacks scraping for ITM.

45suited
05-30-2005, 10:15 AM
easy push

Karak567
05-30-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would feel comfortable with a t500 blind steal with that hand.

The shorties are on the bubble and will probably only play back with really good hands, even the loose BB.

It's a high suited connector so if you are called (not a smart play but maybe BB goes that route) you can do worse than see a flop.

Yet such a bet is an good fold to a push because you still have 14B left. I think that folding to an all-in for over 1000 more is not a bad move but others may correct me. Even if it's "wrong" by the numbers, I don't think it's HORRIBLE if you suspect you're dominated.

Worst case: You are still a huge chip-leader if you have to fold or see a flop that sucks.

Decent case: Win those blinds.

Best case: See a flop and watch three clubs appear and you're in the money.

Note: I tend to play aggressively with a chip lead on the bubble because at the games I play, people are more concerned with finishing third than first a lot of times. I like to take advantage of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Making a raise of 500 with these stack sizes is wrong and then folding to a push after making that raise is even worse.

You need to either push or fold here, raising to 500 is a poor move.

This is one of those situations where I might even consider pushing any two, depending on reads. If my opponents are playing super tight scraping their way into the money, I'm shoving my stack all over the place here.

octaveshift
05-30-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I shove Q9s in this position too.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG!? Wow.

Man, I think I really need to buy Eastbay's tool and get my head around this.

My thought process here was that I was so far ahead w/r/t/ chips, that there was little to be gained by picking up the blinds, and much to be lost. I am a huge fan of Lorinda's mantra: "Do I need this pot?")

With BB calling everything, I figured it was a case of "he who catches, wins" and her stack was the only one that could hurt me. [EDIT: Thought this was a different hand. Please disregard this line.]

In my head, I think I'd rather be pushing any 2 from the SB instead of shoving QJ UTG.

I am very open to be told I am a moron, so feel free to chime in and let me know if I am totally wrong here.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ripped
05-30-2005, 10:59 AM
easy push. You have a dominating stack. push with any 2 suited face cards but dont be calling pushes as easy.

ripwalk
05-30-2005, 11:51 AM
I don't understand why you would push, and give these people a chance to double up if they happen to wake up with JJ, QQ, KK, AA, etc.

I could see pushing if everyone just limped in and it was to you, but UTG, I don't see the point.

I think a minimum raise, or maybe slightly more, will accomplish the same thing you wish to with pushing .. You will take the blinds if people are playing tight.

However, you still leave yourself some room to get away from the hand if someone comes over top and you suspect a high pocket pair.

But I definitely wouldn't risk my chip lead, especially if BB has been calling everything, and could become chip leader in a coin flip.

Big Limpin'
05-30-2005, 12:00 PM
as baldy here suggests...
http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/signjpegs/p/push.h29.jpg
PUSH!

adanthar
05-30-2005, 12:28 PM
Very easy push, wouldn't think twice, next hand.

tech
05-30-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My thought process here was that I was so far ahead w/r/t/ chips, that there was little to be gained by picking up the blinds, and much to be lost. I am a huge fan of Lorinda's mantra: "Do I need this pot?")

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not so much that you need the chips, it's that you don't want your opponents to have them. BTW, with the blinds this small, I think there are options other than pushing.

Voltron87
05-30-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not so much that you need the chips, it's that you don't want your opponents to have them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this quote. A lot.

microbet
05-30-2005, 12:34 PM
CO isn't that far out of position and you have huge FE on everyone but the BB, who is very loose.

I would have thought from your recently posted finnish [sic] distribution that you were an eager pusher - is this play an anomoly? Or are you very aggressive in the earlier parts of the game? Or perhaps too early to tell.

dhende3
05-30-2005, 12:54 PM
I make it T500 and call a resteal attempt from the loose BB, fold to pushes by the Button and SB. Also, I dont mind seeing a flop with a versatile hand like QJs.

Bigwig
05-30-2005, 12:56 PM
I'd still push.

dhende3
05-30-2005, 01:06 PM
One other thing I would like to add. At the 11 and 22 level I find that a lot of donks are more willing to call all-ins than come over the top of a 2.5-3x raise. Something about going all in for 16x BB makes them think you are bluffing and they do not realize that it is mathematically better to fold (almost) any 2 cards and just push (almost) any 2 on the next hand.

octaveshift
05-30-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
CO isn't that far out of position and you have huge FE on everyone but the BB, who is very loose.

I would have thought from your recently posted finnish [sic] distribution that you were an eager pusher - is this play an anomoly? Or are you very aggressive in the earlier parts of the game? Or perhaps too early to tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

See the other thread. Those numbers were a bit off. I am having some sort of issue with SNG Tracker and missing hand histories. It appears the bulk of my Party hands have vanished. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

That said, I have just started playing a much improved bubble game over the last 100 games, I think. (Hence the new avatar.) /images/graemlins/wink.gif When I end up ITM, I usually have a sizeable chip lead, or I am basically tied for second.

The bulk of this "improvement" is just from positional pushes, I think. Hands like this UTG continue to trip me up though. I fully expected the BB to call, and with such a lead I don't know that it makes sense to shove them in, when I can wait for him to call one of the other villains when they push.