PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Football Championship Dilemma

pokerwisc
12-19-2002, 07:44 AM
I am in a ten team league and have fortunately made it into the championship this upcoming week. I am seeking suggestions for who I might want to play.

Before I get into my main problem, I'd just like to mention that I had McNabb earlier in the season (who was the leading fantasy QB at the time), only to lose him to injury. But like the Eagles, my team kept winning. No Donovan, no problem.

However, I also have Priest Holmes, who all religious fantasy football franchise owners know has been the MVP this season; he will most likely not play this coming weekend.

Who would you play from my crippled team this week?

QB (pick 1)

Drew Brees
Mark Brunell

RB (pick 2)

Garrison Hearst
Antowain Smith
James Mungro

WR (pick 2)

Terrell Owens (he'll be playing without a doubt)
Troy Brown
James Thrash
Donte Stallworth

K (pick 1)

Ryan Longwell
Martin Gramatica

Thanks for any feedback in advance.

pokerwisc

jamesburke
12-19-2002, 11:09 PM
brunell

mungro and hearst

thrash and brown

kicker = either..always up in the air, both are solid

that's what i would do..im in the semis in both my leagues..gl..
reasoning..flutie may play..james is beat up and mungro will get the work load..

Jason Pohl
12-20-2002, 12:46 AM
QB (pick 1)

Drew Brees--Could argue that the KC matchup helps a lot. But the KC defense is often underrated. And LT gets a lot of TDs. Brees also has looked ineffective recently.
/forums/images/icons/grin.gif Mark Brunell--Definitely. Better QB. Important game.

RB (pick 2)

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif Garrison Hearst--I think he'll get the ball a lot b/c either A) SF will be way ahead of Arizona or B) SF will run a conservative, run-based offense.
/forums/images/icons/grin.gif Antowain Smith--Good matchup vs. NYJ. @ home. Cold weather = Runs.
James Mungro--Don't like the matchup. Edge.

WR (pick 2)

Terrell Owens (he'll be playing without a doubt)--I had heard he won't play.
/forums/images/icons/grin.gif Troy Brown--Better than Donte. I could be wrong about the Jets/Pats game...if I am, it'll be high scoring.
/forums/images/icons/grin.gif James Thrash--Hate playing WRs against Dallas.
Donte Stallworth--Shrug.

K (pick 1)

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif Ryan Longwell--Definitely.
Martin Gramatica

Good luck,
Jason

Michael Davis
12-20-2002, 05:30 AM
Congrats on making your league championship. Even without your stars, anything can happen.

If your league still allows player pickups, I would pick up and start any of the following players over the options you have available:

QBs: 1)Kitna, 2)Hasselbeck, 3)Blake

RBs: 1)Shipp, 2)W. Green, 3)D. Brown

WRs: 1)Tai Streets

I am making assumptions that these players might be available, although certainly none of them should be, save Blake.

Tennessee was a great team to start QBs against, but that was early in the season. Right now, they are doing adequately against the pass. Tom Brady didn't score anywhere near what he was "supposed to" on MNF. I would go with Brees, even though I wonder why he's on your team, and hope that he picks apart KC's defense. KC's pass defense has also improved significantly as the year has progressed, but I think you have to decide between the lesser of two evils and play the matchup here.

At RB, you must play Antowain Smith unless you get information that Edgerrin James is not going to play. Frankly, Mungro should have all of James' carries by now, but he doesn't. If James is healthy enough to go, he will continue to get the lion's share of the balls until the 4th quarter when he leaves injured. Mungro is a risky start at best, and Smith is guaranteed to get carries. However, you should be concerned that Smith only went 15-66 in the last game against the Jets, a 44-7 NE victory. This is a horrible result for a #1 RB in this type of game. Nevertheless, the uncertainty of the use of any of SF's players and the fact that Mungro is still 2nd string means you must use Smith.

At WR, Owens is not going to play more than one quarter. I would say that it is 85% likely he doesn't play more than one half. If you think it's worth the risk, go for it, but Mariucci would have to be an idiot to use him. (Mariucci won't say for certain before the game, so you just can't use him. But I'd rather have Owens for 1/2 than Thrash.)Stallworth was awful last week against the Vikings. I would hate to start him, but I recommend you do so. Cincy gets lit up every week, just pray Stallworth scores his TDs. Also start Troy Brown because James Thrash sucks.

K is a crapshoot. I have no recommendation here. The rule of thumb is that if there is no difference between kickers, go with the one playing in good weather. Start Gramatica.

I just noticed you need to start 2 RBs. I'm sorry. I think you need to monitor this situation and see whether Hearst is expected to play the entire game or Edge is out. Hearst gets the call here right now, but this could easily change depending on Mungro's role.

Looks like you got screwed by injuries. I hope you can still access the waiver wire, but if not, good luck.

Mike

Trefo
12-20-2002, 08:14 PM
Pick your studs.......You have to take Brunell...brees might get benched.... You start Hearst and Smith....Jets run D is a good matchup.....If Mungro is starting and they bench Edgerrin James than i would start him over Hearst. Owens and Troy Brown no question at receiver and longwell kicking.

Michael Davis
12-21-2002, 03:10 AM
Why would you say the Jets D is a good matchup for a RB?

Since week 7, when the Jets came off their bye and week and salvaged their season by playing like a good team, here are their numbers against RBs using traditional scoring (rushing yardage included):

Michael Bennett: 5 points (12-56)
Bennett averages 12 ppg.

Jamel White: 6 points (14-25)
In the games before his injury, when he was at least splitting time with Green, he averaged 8 ppg.

LaDanian Tomlinson: 13 points (12-60)
Tomlinson averages 20 ppg.

Ricky Williams (Mia): 9 points (20-53)
Williams averages 20 ppg.

James Stewart: 10 points (16-93)
Stewart, not counting missed games, averages 14 ppg.

Travis Henry: 18 points (17-83)
Henry averages 17 ppg.

Charlie Garner: 11 points (12-52)
Garner averages 15 ppg.

Clinton Portis: 12 points (24-103)
Portis averages 17 ppg.

Leon Johnson: 13 points
Johnson's average has to be regarded as N/A

So, except for Travis Henry and a poor showing against the Bears last week, the Jets run defense has been considerably above average since week 7. Fantasy-wise, it has been a damn good unit. Additionally, Antowain Smith scored only 6 points in a Patriots routing of the Jets earlier this year. Smith must be started, but to call the New York Jets defense a "good matchup" is incorrect.

Mike