PDA

View Full Version : Whose starting hands are the most adequate?

friends
05-30-2005, 08:49 AM
I am playing WLLH starting hands.
Mathew Hilger’s starting hands (ITH), IMHO, are a bit tight for such limits.
What is your advice?

Jacob_Gilliam
05-30-2005, 08:53 AM
You should base your starting hands differently depending on your opponents and the specific situation, not by what some chart tells you.

@bsolute_luck
05-30-2005, 09:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You should base your starting hands differently depending on your opponents and the specific situation, not by what some chart tells you.

[/ QUOTE ]

this probably doesn't help someone new to poker.

To OP: IMO, read "Small Stakes Hold 'Em" and start with their Loose chart. if the table proves to be tight (3-5 to the flop), play the tight chart. expand as you get more experience and comfortable with your postflop play and opponent reads.

Jaran
05-30-2005, 02:30 PM
I started off w/WLLH, and it got me pointed in the right direction. I would use this until you bet a copy of SSH (which you should do immediately).

-Jaran

UncleSalty
05-30-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I started off w/WLLH, and it got me pointed in the right direction. I would use this until you bet a copy of SSH (which you should do immediately).

-Jaran

[/ QUOTE ]

Freudian poker slip? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jakesta
05-30-2005, 02:48 PM
WLLH hand recs are too tight as well for most online low limit games. But until you buy SSH, they will have to do.

Isura
05-30-2005, 02:51 PM
I think getting away from charts as soon as possible is beneficial to one's growth as a poker player. But the SSH charts are as good as any. ITH's charts are too passive and tight for online low limit gamees.

Jakesta
05-30-2005, 02:53 PM
Charts in WLLH(and I assume ITH) are designed to keep newbies out of trouble into they can develop a good foundation for the game. They serve a good purpose. I wouldn't recommend that a brand new player start limping 65s from the button after 3 limpers unless he is sure how to play it.

PJM1206
05-30-2005, 03:15 PM
I started out with WLLH and after buying Poker Tracker I modified my starting hands to those hands that were +EV. I actaully play tighter now than those charts ---- I think. It seems most of the games I play in there are never more than 3 or 4 people (inculding me) in the pots which make many of the small pairs and suited connecotrs hard to play, if at all

Jaran
05-30-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Jaran

[/ QUOTE ]

Freudian poker slip? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if I can go all in /images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Jaran