PDA

View Full Version : Badly played 77. Fix it.

Phoenix1010
05-30-2005, 07:27 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 (t815)
CO (t925)
Button (t1155)
SB (t1570)
BB (t925)
UTG (t620)
Hero (t820)
MP1 (t425)
MP2 (t745)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t80</font>, MP3 calls t80, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls t50.

Flop: (t285) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t75</font>, MP2 calls t75, MP3 calls t75.

Turn: (t510) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t125</font>, MP2 calls t125, MP3 calls t125.

River: (t885) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t125</font>, MP3 folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1010

DasLeben
05-30-2005, 07:31 AM
Personally, I'm done with the hand on the flop. Without a set, I just won't go further against two other players, especially one who has shown strength.

Failing that, I check/fold the turn. Failing that, I check/fold the river. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

NYCNative
05-30-2005, 07:32 AM
What is your justifcation for the t75 bet on the flop? What did you hope it would achieve?

AbelM
05-30-2005, 07:39 AM
I don't agree, 77 might well be the best hand here. But with a bet of 75 on the flop and 125 on the river you are not gonna find out.

Phoenix1010
05-30-2005, 07:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What is your justifcation for the t75 bet on the flop? What did you hope it would achieve?

[/ QUOTE ]

Win the hand? Allow me to fold to a raise? Give me a better idea where I stand than check/calling or check/folding, and let me protect myself from overcards if I'm ahead and it would be checked around? A 1/3 probe bet gives me the ability to do all that without committing myself to the pot. In retrospect I wish I had bet about t100, but I don't dislike the bet too much. I didn't try to justify it by the way, the title of the post says it was poorly played. Offer an alternative line with your own justifications.

-Phoenix

AbelM
05-30-2005, 07:56 AM
You sound like Dan Harrington /images/graemlins/smile.gif

A probe bet of 1/3 the potsize just doesn't work on the Party SNG's.

Winwood
05-30-2005, 07:59 AM
I would bet more like 125 on the flop, to try to remain uncommitted but get that info you need. Anyone calls that bet and I'm done with the hand.

Phoenix1010
05-30-2005, 08:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Coincidence; I wasn't trying to make a Harrington play. I felt it was the best play at the time, due to the circumstances, which I think would take an essay to explain. And it definitely does work, in that it gets done everything that I need it to.

-Phoenix

Phoenix1010
05-30-2005, 08:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would bet more like 125 on the flop, to try to remain uncommitted but get that info you need. Anyone calls that bet and I'm done with the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Much better.

-Phoenix

Winwood
05-30-2005, 08:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Coincidence; I wasn't trying to make a Harrington play. I felt it was the best play at the time, due to the circumstances, which I think would take an essay to explain. And it definitely does work, in that it gets done everything that I need it to.

-Phoenix

[/ QUOTE ]

It is worth trying to explain the circumstances, if you want anyone to give you a decent analysis of your play. Just posting something then saying - oh you don't understand the circumstances, which I'm not about to explain - is hardly conducive to good discussion.

Anyway.

So what do you feel your probe bet got done here? I would really like to know, because I also often don't like my play of small PPs when I don't flop a set.

NYCNative
05-30-2005, 08:11 AM
Yeah, nobody is folding to a t75 bet there at this level in that forum. Maybe you get info if they raise but when they don't, you now know nothing and possibly allowed villain with two overcards to get a cheap stab at one.

If you think you have the best hand there - bet like it. Put at least 1/2 to 2/3 pot bet there and see what happens. You'll get a better idea if you're mistaken or not.

If you think someone is still ahead, check and don't put any more money into the pot.

One of my biggest holes is betting too small in similar situations, incidentally...

Phoenix1010
05-30-2005, 08:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Phoenix

[/ QUOTE ]

It is worth trying to explain the circumstances, if you want anyone to give you a decent analysis of your play. Just posting something then saying - oh you don't understand the circumstances, which I'm not about to explain - is hardly conducive to good discussion.

Anyway.

So what do you feel your probe bet got done here? I would really like to know, because I also often don't like my play of small PPs when I don't flop a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't trying to be condescending at all. I wasn't saying that you or anyone shouldn't understand the circumstances, I just know that I have a tendency to write overlong analyses of all the interacting intricacies of every situation. That's not my intention in this thread. The situation as I saw it is layed out in the first post, I would like to hear what others would do in my place, and present their own cases, and their own criticisms of my play. I would love for it to turn into an actual discussion, and not just me writing another thesis.

-Phoenix

Winwood
05-30-2005, 08:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Phoenix

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't trying to be condescending at all. I wasn't saying that you or anyone shouldn't understand the circumstances, I just know that I have a tendency to write overlong analyses of all the interacting intricacies of every situation. That's not my intention in this thread. The situation as I saw it is layed out in the first post, I would like to hear what others would do in my place, and present their own cases, and their own criticisms of my play. I would love for it to turn into an actual discussion, and not just me writing another thesis.

-Phoenix

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, peace! All I was saying is, it doesn't seem right to respond to someone and refer to circumstances which you didn't lay out in your first post. You can leave out whatever unnecessary details you want - of course - but if you're going to leave them out, then leave them out.

Big Limpin'
05-30-2005, 08:36 AM
I dont think its badly misplayed as you suggest. You know that the MPs like their hands (read: big broadway or mid/high PP) and you need to ascertain which.

My old 1500-chip line would be checkraising this flop, if he/they come(s) back at that, you know you havent got a hand. But im my adjustment to Party, i know you havent got the wiggle room with stack depth.

As such, the only lines are leading out, or check/folding. I agree with leading out. Yeah, t70 isnt going to tell you anything, you will be called by both types of hands you can put them on, and then you are playing the turn out of position, having taken the lead. Thats no good /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Okay, so in hindsight, you know you shoulda bet more. Meh, i do stuff like that many times a night.

Where I would diverge from your line though, is on the turn. Having BOTH of them still in, draws not arriving, and the 10 unlikely to have helped, you are going to pot commit yourself by betting well. At this point, if youre going to bet, you might as well shovel all your chips in, and hope they both have overs.

Me, i think you have to check. Remember its 3 way, so it would take a pretty ambitious opponent to take the lead with just overs. I think if you see a bet from one of them on the turn, you can fell good about mucking, but i think more often than not this turn gets checked around.

And go from there on the river. If they checked the turn, and its a rag river...77 is prolly good. Ace-river, lol, you are TSOL. What hands can you beat? Mebbe they both have KQ/KJ, lol. But you got out alot cheaper than the line you took.

Summary:
Preflop, fine (aside: even better cause the raiser is on yer left, so flopping set you can checkraise, and the MP3 will be caught in the middle)

Flop: Good Line, but bet twice as much next time

Turn: I dont like. The good: check. The bad: Push. The ugly: Continue to bet like wuss /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

River: Well, sucks you are so deep into the pot, 77s a longshot to win. Bummer.

Yes/No/Maybe so?
Limpin' aint easy (!)

Phoenix1010
05-30-2005, 08:43 AM
Good points. I disagree on a few.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, nobody is folding to a t75 bet there at this level in that forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bit of a generalization. Yes, they will be inclined to call, but there is a very good chance that I can get one of them (probably the cold caller) to fold if he has KJ or A9 or something similar. The raiser is probably calling at least, but not if he has KQ or A4, which are all possibilities.
[ QUOTE ]

Maybe you get info if they raise but when they don't, you now know nothing and possibly allowed villain with two overcards to get a cheap stab at one.

[/ QUOTE ]

You get info no matter what they do. Every possible reaction has implications that you can use to your advantage. I do agree that the reliability of that info would have been higher if I had bet more.

[ QUOTE ]

If you think you have the best hand there - bet like it. Put at least 1/2 to 2/3 pot bet there and see what happens. You'll get a better idea if you're mistaken or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the action, but not the reasoning. I have very little idea as to where I stand, that's why I'm betting. Betting like I have the best hand when there's a great chance that I don't is not good reasoning. I think that there's a good chance that I have the best hand, and I'm trying to find out what that chance is without losing my shirt.

[ QUOTE ]

If you think someone is still ahead, check and don't put any more money into the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing. There's no way for me to know that this is the case, why should I act as though it is?

[ QUOTE ]

One of my biggest holes is betting too small in similar situations, incidentally...

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Hard to believe huh? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Phoenix

Phoenix1010
05-30-2005, 08:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Phoenix

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

-Phoenix

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, peace! All I was saying is, it doesn't seem right to respond to someone and refer to circumstances which you didn't lay out in your first post. You can leave out whatever unnecessary details you want - of course - but if you're going to leave them out, then leave them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, peace. Let me explain myself: I wasn't responding to any kind of criticism of my play, I was responding to the similarities between my play and the traditional "probe bet." I was just saying that I wasn't making the play to be like Dan, I was making it because I thought the situation called for it. Explaining why was not called for by the post I was responding to. I wasn't referring to anything not in the original post. Just hope I am not misunderstood.

-Phoenix

NYCNative
05-30-2005, 08:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a bit of a generalization. Yes, they will be inclined to call, but there is a very good chance that I can get one of them (probably the cold caller) to fold if he has KJ or A9 or something similar.

[/ QUOTE ]If they are playing those hands at all, especially in a raised pot, they're donks and they won't fold to a small bet if they feel there is a glimmer of hope.[ QUOTE ]
You get info no matter what they do.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't see how much info you got from two smooth-calls. I didn't get any reading the HH Whereas two smooth-calls with a solid lead bet says you're in trouble.[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the action, but not the reasoning. I have very little idea as to where I stand, that's why I'm betting.

[/ QUOTE ]You don't know where you stand a lot of times but you can have an idea and you can bet in a manner befitting that idea. Was that a good flop for your hand? Yes? Then assume that you've got the better hand. We all know a good flop for slick - AK2 - can lose to a set of deuces. So nothing is guaranteed. But you use what you DO know to allow you to make the best decision.[ QUOTE ]
I think that there's a good chance that I have the best hand, and I'm trying to find out what that chance is without losing my shirt.

[/ QUOTE ]Doubling that flop bet wouldn't even be the left sleeve, but you know that already.

Unarmed
05-30-2005, 09:03 AM
Hi Phoenix

Check the flop. Your opponents will generally tell you if they've hit by their bet size. If MP2 makes a weak bet and MP3 folds, you SHOULD come over the top with a decent sized raise. If MP3 calls MP2's weak bet he likely has junk, and you CAN raise, but its a higher variance move (that's for you mosdef) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phoenix1010
05-30-2005, 09:21 AM
Good post.

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think its badly misplayed as you suggest. You know that the MPs like their hands (read: big broadway or mid/high PP) and you need to ascertain which.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. I'm pretty confident that I butchered it. I need to keep that in mind, because sometimes I defend my plays so fervently that I convince myself that they weren't stupid, even when they were. Everyone makes mistakes. I think there are some interesting things about this hand though.

[ QUOTE ]
My old 1500-chip line would be checkraising this flop, if he/they come(s) back at that, you know you havent got a hand. But im my adjustment to Party, i know you havent got the wiggle room with stack depth.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the big issue. With more chips, I would play this much differently (though I might not take your line specifically), but with such short stacks, I felt choked into making a much smaller bet than I wanted to, just to keep from crippling myself when things didn't go my way.

[ QUOTE ]
As such, the only lines are leading out, or check/folding. I agree with leading out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. That's about the size of it. An alternative is the check/call-&gt;lead line, which has it's own merits and downfalls.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, t70 isnt going to tell you anything, you will be called by both types of hands you can put them on,

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is where I disagree. I will not be called by both types of hands. 99-KK, A8, and K8 are all almost certainly raising me (AA, 88, 55 and 22 could be a different story). This is where the circumstances come into play. I've got the raiser sandwiched between myself and the cold caller, on a two toned rag flop. The raiser is going to protect his top pair here, because he is not last to act. If he had position, it's much more likely that he would try to trap. Same deal with the caller, no one has shown much strength post flop, and the pot is swelling with a possible flush draw out there. There's no way he's just calling with a hand that beats me on the flop, because now he knows for certain that there are still two other people drawing at him. If a blank falls on the turn, I can be fairly confident that I'm ahead.

[ QUOTE ]
and then you are playing the turn out of position, having taken the lead. Thats no good /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the big problem. I wish someone would discuss betting impetus, and betting for info versus pot management. Those kinds of posters don't spend too much time around here anymore though.

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, so in hindsight, you know you shoulda bet more. Meh, i do stuff like that many times a night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

[ QUOTE ]
Where I would diverge from your line though, is on the turn. Having BOTH of them still in, draws not arriving, and the 10 unlikely to have helped, you are going to pot commit yourself by betting well. At this point, if youre going to bet, you might as well shovel all your chips in, and hope they both have overs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely.

[ QUOTE ]
Me, i think you have to check. Remember its 3 way, so it would take a pretty ambitious opponent to take the lead with just overs. I think if you see a bet from one of them on the turn, you can fell good about mucking, but i think more often than not this turn gets checked around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, maybe we all see a cheap river, but if I'm concluding that I'm ahead, that's exactly what I don't want to have happen. Out of position, half of the deck is going to make me check fold the river. That's tragic when there's an excellent chance I can take down this large pot with a push on the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
And go from there on the river. If they checked the turn, and its a rag river...77 is prolly good. Ace-river, lol, you are TSOL. What hands can you beat? Mebbe they both have KQ/KJ, lol. But you got out alot cheaper than the line you took.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the river is an easy fold, although I'm fairly confident I was ahead until then.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I actually think there's even more to this hand than that though.

-Phoenix

Karak567
05-30-2005, 09:24 AM
If you are going to bet that flop, then push it.

I check/fold most of the time, though, unless I have a good read.

Phoenix1010
05-30-2005, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a bit of a generalization. Yes, they will be inclined to call, but there is a very good chance that I can get one of them (probably the cold caller) to fold if he has KJ or A9 or something similar.

[/ QUOTE ]If they are playing those hands at all, especially in a raised pot, they're donks and they won't fold to a small bet if they feel there is a glimmer of hope.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably right, but again, there are plenty of players who will see a flop with weird hands and fold when they miss. JT, K9, QT, A2, and all kinds of other weirdness are very possible hands for the cold caller, and all hands he could be expected to fold. I agree that I should have bet more to increase the fold equity part of the play.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You get info no matter what they do.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't see how much info you got from two smooth-calls. I didn't get any reading the HH Whereas two smooth-calls with a solid lead bet says you're in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

See my response to Big Limpin'. Everything your opponents do means something. Even donks are not letting two opponents see a cheap turn on that board if they are ahead.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the action, but not the reasoning. I have very little idea as to where I stand, that's why I'm betting.

[/ QUOTE ]You don't know where you stand a lot of times but you can have an idea and you can bet in a manner befitting that idea. Was that a good flop for your hand? Yes? Then assume that you've got the better hand. We all know a good flop for slick - AK2 - can lose to a set of deuces. So nothing is guaranteed. But you use what you DO know to allow you to make the best decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a little misguided. Poker is a game of incomplete information, we all know that. But there are degrees to that incompleteness. Just because you're never sure of anything doesn't mean that you should always be going on unwarranted guesses. You've seen one action from your opponent in this hand, a preflop raise. You have almost no idea what his hand range is. To assume that he doesn't have aces, or to assume that he does, (or worse yet, to ignore him altogether and just think about how the flop looked for my hand, which is what you appear to be suggesting) is just not good reasoning. A lot of times in SnGs you do not have the luxury of gaining more information postflop, you just hypothesize about where you're probably at in the hand, and then act based on that assumption. You don't have to do that all the time. Here is a situation where a postflop play can accomplish a lot of tasks, not the least of which adding to your information and allowing you to better play out the rest of the hand.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think that there's a good chance that I have the best hand, and I'm trying to find out what that chance is without losing my shirt.

[/ QUOTE ]Doubling that flop bet wouldn't even be the left sleeve, but you know that already.

[/ QUOTE ]

150 chips is a ton in an 800 chip SnG, especially if you're getting toward the end of level 2. I'm not saying that betting more isn't the better play. But you'd be wrong to think that betting more than a fifth of your stack into the unknown with the intent of throwing the hand away even if you just get called is an action to take lightly.

-Phoenix

Phoenix1010
05-30-2005, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet t740 into a t285 pot, first to act? Is there a reason?

-Phoenix

Unarmed
05-30-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet t740 into a t285 pot, first to act? Is there a reason?

-Phoenix

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope he meant the turn. If you're getting all-in on the flop you C/R all-in if MP2 shows weakness. After you bet the flop and get called in two places you should def be pushing the turn.

gasgod
05-30-2005, 10:56 AM
I must say, I approach hands like this differently than most of you. Maybe it's a leak of mine, but I just mumble to myself "No set, no bet", and check/fold the flop.

Turn and river are highly unlikely to improve my hand, and it will cost a couple hundred chips to play it. And, while it's possible 77 could win unimproved, I think the odds are well against it. Granted, it may be +CEV to play it, but when I win the pot, it will be a small one. In addition, I can't take a lot of heat with this hand.

I have a decent stack, and I figure to reach level 4 with t600+, even if I don't win a pot. But the chips I can lose here are more valuable than the chips I can win. If I put t250 or so into this hand and don't win it, I will be crippled.

How much can I hope to win? If nobody can beat 77, not very much. Perhaps t400 at most. This would be a welcome addition, but it will hardly make me a favorite.

It would be a different story with t1500, or even t1000 to start with.

JMHO

GG

Phoenix1010
05-30-2005, 11:08 AM
That "no set, no bet" stuff will lead you down the wrong path. Stay away from dogmatic rules. Be flexible enough to do what the situation calls for.

That said, the rest of your post is perfect. It's a very marginal situation: I'm out of position in a raised pot with second pair against two opponents against whom I probably don't have much fold equity, I'm either way behind or not far ahead, and I don't need this pot. In the end, that's all there is to it. Good post.

-Phoenix

EasilyFound
05-30-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If MP2 makes a weak bet

[/ QUOTE ]

what would you consider to be a weak bet in this spot with a pot of T285?

Phoenix1010
05-30-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If MP2 makes a weak bet

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

t75 /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Unarmed
05-30-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If MP2 makes a weak bet

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

t75 /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anything around 1/2 pot or less.

adanthar
05-30-2005, 12:33 PM
Either make a real bet or check the flop. I like checking, but OK, you've decided to bet: congratulations, you've offered nearly correct odds for one guy's AK to hit and their calls have told you nothing (never seen AA played this way? I have).

OK, you bet 1/4 of the pot and they called their overcards. The turn is worthless and you bet 1/4 again because...Push here, and it isn't close.

jgunnip
05-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Hero calls preflop for set-value and either folds to the PFR or check/folds post-flop. Trying to win pots at the lower buy-ins with middle pair after the flop without a set against multi-opponents is something I just avoid completely.

SlackerMcFly
05-30-2005, 01:46 PM
This early in the tournament (BB is 30), you probably don't have much of a read on any of the players, making your decision that much harder.

Personally, I call the BB, then fold when MP2 raises. Surely there will be a better spot to dance later, it's just too early to risk a lot chips with this weakish hand.

Just a noob: Slacker - And don't call me Shirley

Moonsugar
05-30-2005, 02:17 PM
If I decided to lead the flop then I bet the amount I would bet with an overpair or set. That is probably 3/4 to slightly over the pot. Whether I would do that depends on the 2 players. If I get raised I am done. If I get called I am almost always done.

If you almost never lead out with a set here you should seriously consider doing so or check folding this flop to any serious action behind.

The way you played it I think you should check/fold the turn.

Anyone who is thinking is going to put you on a pair. You have to give them a reason to fold an 8 and/or overcards if you want to win this pot.

Moonsugar
05-30-2005, 02:23 PM
If you don't lead this is a great way to play this hand and is my default.

Bigwig
05-30-2005, 02:29 PM
Consider how you played the hand.

You did not take the role of aggressor preflop. You limped. What is the motivation for limping? The hope for hitting a set on the flop, and taking down a huge pot.

When you were reraised, you knew that it's likely that your equity is likely less than 50% entering the flop (with a second caller, it's possible that it's as low as 15% or worse).

So, why did you call the reraise? Because you were getting implied odds to flop a set, and hopefully bust an overpair or AQ/AK when they have top pair.

Neither of these happened, and you're out of position. Check the flop. See what happens. Make your decision from there.