PDA

View Full Version : calling in the small blind

Ezcheeze
12-19-2002, 04:57 AM
Hi,
Recently I found out that HEFAP advocates calling in the small blind with hands like 86 offsuit. For a 1 to 2 small to big blind structure isn't this a little loose? Even with 4 limpers to me I feel like it's just a garbage hand. You are looking to make 2 pair, trips, or a str8. However, many times someone will have your trips outkicked or will have a higher 2 pair causing you to lose alot of money. The str8 is your best bet but is so unlikely I don't think it warrents playing this hand for even half a small bet. Opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Ed Miller
12-19-2002, 06:38 AM
I think the implied odds are sufficient. I call with hands like that from the SB as well.

soda
12-21-2002, 03:13 PM
In certain situations, calling from the small blind for one chip with an 86o can be profitable.

If a complete fish limps, the BB is also a fish and it's folded to me, I'll call. Also, if the game is full of weak players and a 6 or 7 way pot is shaping up, I'll try to flop big. Most often, this hand gets mucked in this spot. But, it does get played profitably sometimes in the SB and that's probably what S&M wanted to point out.

Those profitable situations are very game and player dependent. As such, they are beyond the scope of this post.

/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

soda

bob2007
12-23-2002, 08:24 PM
I'm a tight ass, I save 2 sbs for one call of a better hand.

bernie
12-23-2002, 08:48 PM
"I'm a tight ass, I save 2 sbs for one call of a better hand. "

where are you saving 2 sbs? you only put in 1/2 a sb to call...there isnt a raise mentioned...what are you talking about?

b

bob2007
12-24-2002, 06:20 PM
fold the sb. therefore you save half a blind instead of calling. Second time, fold sb, you save another half a blind instead of calling. 1/2 + 1/2 = 1